Protein post workout.....

Options
lrns88
lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
Hi,

At the risk of asking a stupid question, I'm looking at adapting my diet and doing an overhaul, not so much as eating less, but eating better. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for some good pre- or post- workout food, as I am definitely guilty of eating loads of whatever I want after the gym "as a reward" and I want to stop this ASAP!

Any advice or tips would be great!

xx

Replies

• hjp1000
    Options
    In terms of workout food, protein and carbohydrates are recomended, this is because protein helps to build muscle which will raise your BMR (Basal etabolic Rate, so your body will need more calories to survive so you can eat more and not gain weight. Although muscle weighs more than fat. Carbohydrates are important as the energythat is stored in them allows you to work harder and longer (glucose is the preferred respiratory substrate).

Post Workout:
    http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html

This site is useful
  • lrns88
    Options
    Thanks for this - the site looks fab!
  • raf46
    raf46 Posts: 9
    Options
    Others will offer better suggestions but for me eating properly beforehand is important. If you go in the morning ensure that you have a good breakfast of slow release carbohydrate - I have rolled oats and a little museli in hot water and skimmed milk. It's very filling and takes ages to unlock hence I don't feel hungry until the afternoon. At the gym I don't over-hydrate but instead have enough water to make it comfortable to eat a banana. When I've finished then I'll have room temperature water. In the evening I steer clear of big meals and fry to keep carbs to a minimum but still have some while ensuring that I have some clean protein like fish.
    Good luck
  • Living9
    Options
    Hi

I have read in several places to not have carbs for several hours after a work-out; just have protein and fat where possible. So fruit juice, for example, or those commercial 'healthy/sugary' drinks are totally out. Good writers on understanding the role of proteins, fats and carbs for weight loss are Dr Dukan and the French researcher Michel Montignac. Check your local library (or the charity shops!).
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You want a mix of carbs and protein 1-2 hours before exercise and again within 30 minutes after exercise. You have to have the carbs before to help with fueling the activity, so a mix of simple sugars and complex carbs are best for helping with long workouts. Protein takes longer to breakdown so it won't really be available until after your workout, but that is good because that is when you need it to repair the tissue damage from exercise. I like a turkey sandwich on whole wheat with a piece of fruit for the pre-workout meal. The fruit gives you simple sugars that are broken down faster and available for immediate energy needs and complex carbs that are broken down a little slower to help fuel the end of your workout. During exercise you will also pull from your glycogen stores, so after your workout you need carbs too in order to replace that glycogen storage. You also need protein after to continue the process of repair and rebuilding muscles as that is a process that takes a while. One of my professors has been doing research on post workout recovery drinks and swears up and down that chocolate skim milk is the best thing out there based on the studies he's done in our lab at school and the studies he's seen. (He got the idea at an ACSM conference and has been replicating the studies at our school to see if he could find something better, but so far fat free chocolate milk is the best he's studied.) Honestly, though, I don't think a little bit of poly or mono unsaturated fat is bad in a recovery meal because it is used for cell membranes, but some will say that you can get all of those things in another meal. You just don't want that fat before the workout because it takes longer to process and may upset the stomach during exercise.
  • lrns88
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice! I'm doing a late training session tonight so munching a pasta salad (wholemeal pasta) for lunch, a banana and some fruit before workout, and thinking a jacket potato with tuna and baked beans for after! Anything to keep me away from the chocolate and having a massive sugar crash!