Digital Scales - any recommendations?

Options
Looking to purchase a digital scale, does anyone have recommendations? I read that you should not use measuring cups and should weigh everything so I want to make sure what I purchase works in all areas. Thank for your help.

Replies

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have the Biggest Loser one I got it for $20 about 2 years ago and it still works.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    just make sure you get something that weights in different units and has a max wieght of over 5 lbs. If you put a bowl on it, it can add up, and you don't want to be at the edge of the scales range (for accuracy).

pretty much every digital scale is going to fit that bill.

Taylor is a decent brand name. Most people seem to be happy with whatever they get off of amazon, but i bought two cheap ones from there and you would put something on the scale and it would read 100g, then 2 seconds later it would read 150g, then 85g, and would just keep fluctuating.

i recommend you just go to wal mart or something so if the scale doesn't satisfy you, you can return it easily for a different one.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I got an EatSmart digital scale on Amazon for about $20-30. You can tare your bowls, and select different units of measure.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My home scale is StarFrit ($12 )from Canadian Tire and I have a Taylor ($10) from Walmart that I carry when I go out to eat.
  • itsvanessajean
    Options
    I got the Biggest Loser Digital scale for around $20 and it works great, it's very accurate as well.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I got a big one from walmart for like $10-15, it has a stainless removable bowl. Has numerous functions and works well.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    In the world of food scales, "more expensive" isn't better.

I bought my $10.00 food scale while a Bed Bath and Beyond. It has worked well for me over the years (it's been my lack of using it that has been the problem :laugh: ).
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    {Edit: Doh! Edited out a silly answer. Thanks, tatertot.}
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    someone mentioned that thier scale was very accurate.

not sure how they determined that.

they do sell calibration weights, a weight that is certified to be 100 g or whatever. could get that to determine accuracy if desired.

some scales have a feature that allows you to calibrate it via the calibration weight, but i've never seen a food scale that had a calibration feature. probably because its only necessary to be that accurate with chemistry
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have an Aria. It does weight, body fat % and automatically updates websites like MyFitnessPal with them. To me, the extra info and the few minutes it saves when I'm really busy, was worth a splurge. :)

Heads up, she's asking about a scale to weight food, not body :)

I bought something for about $11 on Amazon & something for $10 at Aldi's. I keep one at work, one at home. I haven't used calibration weights or anything to ensure accuracy, but before I split them up, I weighed a few items on both of them & got the same results from both scales, so I figure they're probably accurate.

As mentioned by others, definitely confirm that it is able to do grams & ounces or it'll make your logging less fun, for sure.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    seems like a logical way to test accuracy
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have a Cuisinart Perfect Weight digital scale and it is excellent. It does grams and ounces, has tare, all the good features.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

they do sell calibration weights, a weight that is certified to be 100 g or whatever. could get that to determine accuracy if desired.

some scales have a feature that allows you to calibrate it via the calibration weight, but i've never seen a food scale that had a calibration feature. probably because its only necessary to be that accurate with chemistry

Toss a weight on a food scale. If a 2 pound weight measures 2 pounds, you're typically pretty safe.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Toss a weight on a food scale. If a 2 pound weight measures 2 pounds, you're typically pretty safe.

that would be accurate enough (for a food scale)
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I would say look at the size and features. I just replaced my food scale because the morons who designed it decided the g/lb switch and the on/off button should be the same button. So you're trying to change it to ounces, it turns itself off, you turn it back on, it's still on grams, and you try again and it turns itself off again.

So I ordered the Oxo Good Grips digital scale with pull out display (my other complaint was how easy it was to cover the screen on my old little scale). It's gotten good reviews but I haven't had a chance to play with it myself. It has an 11 pound capacity.

So my old PITA scale will come to work so we can use it for our snacks and lunches.
  • deetee6718
    deetee6718 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great comments, Thanks everyone! I purchased a Starfrit at Canadian Tire, not high end but looks like it will do the job :)