Help! I'm getting discourage ...

2»

Replies

• beautifulrwe
    beautifulrwe Posts: 10 Member
    You may not be eating enough. As counter-intuitive as that sounds, it's true. I'm only 5'3" and I still need to eat more than 1200 calories to even maintain a deficit and lose weight. You shouldn't really eat less than your TDEE (total calories burned on an average day including your normal activities) minus 10-15%.

My goal is 1430 and I'm not losing at the moment because I keep going over my goal. It's graduation, lots of celebrations after lots of stress, and I've given myself permission to take a break from trying to lose as long as I keep up my workouts.

First, check to see that you are eating enough. Undereating will derail weightloss.

Second, how are you measuring your portions? Are you using a scale? Many issues come from underestimating the amount we eat. A food scale is a very inexpensive way to know whether you are eating 100 extra calories of salad dressing every meal. You can get a good one for less than $20.

Third, are you working out? And if so, are you logging those workouts in MFP? MFP tends to overestimate calories burned in workouts, so if you're eating those calories back, you may be led to overeat accordingly. If you have the money to spare, invest in a heartrate monitor and use it instead of MFP's calorie burn estimates.

Comments like this just absolutely blow my mind.

Stop spouting ridiculousness and do some research. If she isn't losing at 1200, she won't lose if she eats more. The problem is she is consuming much more than 1200 (which she admitted by saying she doesn't weigh everything) So now you tell her TO EAT MORE!? Get off this site.

Why do I have to weigh every single thing. The things I don't weigh are things that have nutritional labels so I go off of that.

Peanut butter is a good example. The serving size is 2 tbls / 32 grams. If you weigh what you put as 2 tbls, it probably will not be 32 grams, and therefore a calorie discrepancy. Does that make sense? It's better to measure solid foods in grams or ounces, not in table spoons, tea spoons, or cups.

I see, thanks
  • beautifulrwe
    beautifulrwe Posts: 10 Member
    Great discussion but now I'm even more confused since some are suggesting I'm eating more then 1200 calories. I did go on Fat2Fit and gathered this info:

BMR is 1524 calories.
    TDEE Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2093

With that info I shouldn't be eating less then 1524 and no more then 2000, right?

Correct. You need 1524 to live if you were in a coma. You need 2093 to maintain your current weight at your supplied activity level. Try eating at 1600 or 1650.
    Just remember that if you use the TDEE method, exercise is already calculated and you would NOT eat back those calories.

Thank you so much. I'm learning so much