Withdrawals?

Options
I have been an avid pop drinker (5-6 pops a day). I have been trying to quit for awhile and while embarking on my health journey, I completely omitted it as even just one would make me spiral downhill again. I am having horrible headaches, dizziness and a flushed face. Does anyone know if this is normal? I am in contact with my doctor as well, but wondering if anyone trying to get off sugar and carbs had experienced similar withdrawal symptoms. Thanks!

Replies

• jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    removing caffeine from your diet will cause headaches, I suggest an Excedrin Migraine pill becuase it contains caffeine,
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's definitely the caffeine -- withdrawal headaches are the worst. If you don't want to give up/get over the caffeine addiction you could try swapping in unsweetened teas perhaps?
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's the caffeine withdrawal - find a way to replace a bit of the caffeine. Have a cup of coffee. Excederin Migraine does have caffeine and will help.

Headaches get better after a few days/a week. Its suffering through the first few days that is the worst. (I used to drink a 6 pk a day - now about 1-2 cans a month - and not the diet stuff either - so I can totally sympathize)
  • melissajane83
    melissajane83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use to drink a lot of dr. pepper. The way I quit was I started drinking tea (with splenda or sweet n low). Then slowing switched to decaf tea. I never knew the difference. Every once in a while I will treat myself to a dr. pepper. I will never buy a 12 pack or 24 pack because I don't trust myself. lol
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Wean wean wean! Quitting caffeine cold turkey is miserable.
  • mkladyjmm
    mkladyjmm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would reduce your intake slowly rather than cold turkey.
  • marykate1984
    marykate1984 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wean wean wean! Quitting caffeine cold turkey is miserable.

This!!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Caffeine withdrawal headaches are HORRIBLE. Wean yourself off - not cold turkey.
  • Emmyre43
    Emmyre43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Its a normal reaction. I started with cokes 4 per day. went down to 2 per day. 1 per day. 1 every other day, etc... THEN 1 sprite 1 day, coke the next..eventually, I got to Sprite 0!! Its a SLOW process, but you will get there!!
  • MaxJAshmore
    MaxJAshmore Posts: 16
    Options
    I used to drink two or three 2 litre bottles of pop a day, they were caffeine free (cos I can't have caffeine) and when I gave them up it was like I had gone cold turkey, shakes, sweats, headaches the lot, was quite scary tbh, it is an addiction and like any of the others you can get through the other side
    I now limit myself to 1 maybe 2 cans a day, I don't drink tea or coffee so can't just have water!
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If you have a headache, sure take Excedrin, but you don't want to replace your pop habit with an Excedrin habit (you're better off with the pop). You will experience worse headaches from withdrawal of Excedrin if you take it for any length of time because not only will you still have to deal with the caffeine withdrawal, but you'll be likely to suffer rebound headaches from the removal of the analgesics.

To taper of the caffeine if you don't want to use pop - since you said it's a trigger for you - you could try drinking 1/4 of a bottle of 5-hour-energy (or something like it) when you normally would have a pop - so like 4 times a day - for a few days. This would replace your caffeine.

Do that for a few days, then cut down to 3 times a day for the next few days, then two, then one... then you've weaned yourself off.
  • kacisjourneytohealthy
    Options
    I have tried weaning off and I fall right back into my slump. I would rather put up with these nasty headaches; that shows you how bad it has been trying to get off! I just wanted to make sure it was a normal thing. I wish I liked tea or coffee, but, alas, I don't. :( I will definitely try Excedrin, though! I highly appreciate all your feedback!!!
  • GundaTheFit
    GundaTheFit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It`s most likely withdrawals pangs and are at it`s worst the first few days, it takes 8-10 days to completely go away.
    50% of people quitting coffin will experience the headache, remember quitting sugar also gives pangs so hang in there for some more days and you`ll be free!!
  • DanielleH1213
    DanielleH1213 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I went through that a while ago. I had to wean myself off of it. Eventually you can get off of it and be ok. I can't have more than 1 caffeine drink a day or I end up with horrible migraines. I do keep Bayer Migraine in my purse just in case. A few weeks in to MFP I actually stopped drinking my 1 cup of coffee a day. I had headaches the first few days but now I'm good. I can have my half caf/half decaf coffee on the weekends and the occasional iced tea.

It does take some time, but you will get there. I would not recommend quitting cold turkey. Its a process. Just like other diet changes.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you have a headache, sure take Excedrin, but you don't want to replace your pop habit with an Excedrin habit (you're better off with the pop). You will experience worse headaches from withdrawal of Excedrin if you take it for any length of time because not only will you still have to deal with the caffeine withdrawal, but you'll be likely to suffer rebound headaches from the removal of the analgesics.

I am by no means suggesting the OP should start an excedrin habit, simply saying if she has a headache, excedrin with caffeine would be a good idea.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I get this every time I go off Diet Coke (obviously never been successful heh). It's caffeine withdrawl. The headaches for me last 3-4 days max. They are horrible and painkillers do not help them. The last time I went off it, I just kind of lay in bed a lot (an option at the time, not so much anymore!), went out for short walks a few times a day, had a square of chocolate every so often and sipped black tea. It is SO hard to deal with the withdrawal symptoms when you know there's such an easy fix. :( I'm currently trying to go off Diet Coke for good, and have started drinking coffee. I definitely don't crave the Diet Coke like I used to. I am not really bothered about the caffeine addiction though, I just want to be off Diet Coke for financial and health reasons (it makes me feel icky yet I'm addicted...).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    find low calorie sources of caffeine instead - problem solved

I like tea.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whenever I decide to cut down/take a break from Diet Coke I start drinking a lot more coffee. I'm not opposed to drinking coffee, but that ends up jacking up my caffeine intake more than I'd like, so I've been trying to switch that to lower caffeine teas.