fitbit?

Options
I was looking at these and wondered what people's opinions are on them. There seem to be several different kinds. Which is better? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mlobosco99
    mlobosco99 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm using the Fitbit Zip. For the price ($49) and functionality, it was the right one for me. It fits easily in my pocket and connects to the various apps that I use. I've been using it for over a month now with no issues. The battery life seems to be good as well.
  • SoonToBeFittie
    Options
    It really depends on what you're looking to track with them. I've had both the Flex, and I currently use the Zip.

They have two different types. There's the wireless trackers, and the wristband tracker. All of them sync wirelessly with your android or iphone, and come with an option to connect to your computer. The wristband tracks your sleep, which is a great feature, you just have to remember to turn the option on.

What I noticed with the Flex was they tried to pack a lot of options into one small device, so you had to remember multiple "tap" sequences to turn things on and off. But one of the good things about it was it's silent alarm feature, and it's rechargable battery. Unfortunately the battery lasts three to four days at most, but it doesn't take long to charge.

The Zip on the other hand, has a battery, one of those watch kinds, and the specs says it lasts a few months. I haven't had mine a week, so I have yet to run into any battery life issues.

Hope this helps!
  • intenseze
    intenseze Posts: 20
    Options
    I was just looking at a different brand called shine and it can be used while swimming, which I do a lot of in the summer. Anyone have one of those? Can it link with MFP?
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i use the Fitbit One, and I really like it. I don't believe it should be submersed in water, though.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit zip for about a week now It's easy, just clip it on and let it do it's thing. It seems pretty accurate. And somewhat eye opening. I thought because my job involves standing and walking back and forth all day that 10,000 steps would be nothing. Not so. I seem to average a little over half that. So, inspired to to take a little walk on my hour lunch since it really only takes a half hour to eat something. All kinds of ways to get a little more activity into the day. My fitbit smiles at me for the effort and who doesn't want to be smiled at by inanimate objects.

Also, daily calorie burn seems to be in line with what MFP says, so general calorie intake for losing weight using MFP numbers fits well. I think fitbit stuff can sync and get more fancy but I don't really know how that part works. Just putting it together in my head and hoping to drive some better habits into my head using the fitbit as a tool and reminder of my overall ambitions to lose weight. All the best to you.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit one and really like it. I clip it on my pocket & wear everyday. It also can do the sleep thing. The battery lasts about 2 weeks for me. I'm sure it is not waterproof, so no good for swimming. I especially like that it has a widget for my android phone now, before I had to be close to my home computer to upload the info.
  • SoonToBeFittie
    Options
    I haven't heard of the Shine. I know the flex can be used in the shower, unsure of whether you can submerge it for long periods of time like swimming and what not.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit. If you go to Fitbit.com I think there is a page that compares the differences.

In reality though there is no magic tool. A cheap but well-working pedometer can do the same thing, but without the automatical sycning/linking and such.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    shine is not a fitbit.
    not the same thing at all

i have heard of people using a double or triple ziploc on fitbits for swimming, personally i wouldnt, but thats me , when i go swimming i simply track the time spent later when i log in i add it , like my flex does not log the time spent using the weedeater, or the mower, so i log them separately
  • eam22
    eam22 Posts: 1
    Options
    tell me how to connect my fitbit to my phone?
  • Alycem86
    Alycem86 Posts: 6
    Options
    I love my fitbit zip! I actually lost mine and they are sending me another one (FREE), the company is awesome. I *believe* you can swim with it. I accidently washed it a couple times and nothing happened! lol Either way I highly recommend the fitbit.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If your smart phone is a compatible model, just go to your app store and download the Fitbit app, then sign in. It should 'find' your Fitbit.
    tell me how to connect my fitbit to my phone?
  • Notsocrafty
    Notsocrafty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have (and love) my FitBit One, but it's only water resistant, not waterproof. Sometimes I worry that I sweat too much for it (I clip it to my bra/sports bra), but so far so good!
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One. I like stairs and inclines, so I like that it can tell me how many "floors" I've gone up throughout the day. I also like that it clips to my clothes. I can wear it on my bra or clipped in my pocket. At first I thought it would be a hassle, but I like the flexibility of being able to "hide" it on my core -- I teach middle school and don't really need kids pointing at my wrist and asking why my watch is so weird.

It syncs with MFP really well and I love seeing my calorie balance to up as I exercise. It's so motivating! And it is seamless -- I love that fitbit and MFP are consulting one another and making adjustments to my plan. It's like having a personal trainer! I also like that it can track my sleep, although recently the wristband that it slips into has been falling off during the night. It maybe needs some better Velcro.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Check out this first review for good info on pros/cons of the Shine. Looks like it doesnt' sync with MFP:

http://www.amazon.com/Misfit-Shine-Activity-Sleep-Monitor/product-reviews/B00FDWN8RM/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

I have a Fitbit One and I love it. I also swim a lot in the summer, so that aspect is a bummer. However, it does track stairs, so that's a plus over the Zip.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of buying this with my birthday money. deciding whether to get the 50$ one or the 100$ one...decisions decisions
  • dlaude
    dlaude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought the Fitbit One. Working nights I wanted as accurate of a sleep recorder as I could get. (Another device I used just didn't record accurately.) The One is easy to clip on my bra as well as comes with a wrist band. It is pretty good.
  • nudglet
    nudglet Posts: 5
    Options
    Because of Knee issues I do most of my fitness workout in the pool with aerobics and Aqua Jogging. Does anyone know of a Fitbit or like device that is totally waterproof?
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Every time somebody asks this, I just have to throw out my opinion.

Basis Band.

Baaaaassssiiiissss baaaannnnndddd.

That is all.

I was going to get that one, but then heard it does nothing for HIIT exercising. Is that the case or no?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    I don't have it yet but am planning to get the Polar Loop for myself and my daughter who is a swimmer. It says it is water resistant and suitable for swimming. most of their other HR monitors/bands can be worn in the pool for workouts but the loop has similar features to the Fitbit.