Feel Like an Addict

Options
I am almost back up to my highest weight and recently went over the 200 mark which I swore I'd never venture into again. I have 50 pounds to lose but am lacking motivation and consistency. There is always some excuse to eat those things that are making me gain and then say it'll be different tomorrow. I started my food diary again and know that will help but still am drawn to just a little more or the just one bite that ends up being most of the package. Could use a coach and some cheerleaders!

Replies

• xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Practicing moderation is tough, but I've found that its the only way I can stick with something! Telling myself "absolutely no chocolate ever" will lead me to think about chocolate every minute of every day, and then eat an entire kind bag of snack-sized kitkats. Seriously. But if I let myself have a little chocolate when I want it (a Kiss or two), and I log it, I don't feel the need to binge. It takes a while to get into that mind-set, but I have confidence that you'll get there!

I help myself by eating slow, drinking lots of water, and not starving myself. No way can I eat a reasonable sized dinner when I haven't eaten anything else all day.

Best of luck!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I know how that goes for sure. One thing i have found that works for me. I tell myself i will try to eat healthy at least 4 times a week or 75 % of the time. That way if i screw up and have a binge i dont feel too badly about it anymore. I know that i will try again tommorow.

It also helps not to keep trigger foods in the house. Sometimes you dont want to have to go out and get something. I have the hardest time with cupcakes and cookies.

Keep positive . Maybe pre log your diary for the next day and try to stick to it...make sure you have plenty of satisfying snacks around that you love ( fruit, protein bars in moderation)

There have been days where one cupcake will turn into 5 cupcakes and then i figure oh hell let me just go with it and then there is more junk to come. I always remind myself tommorow is a new chance to start fresh. Dont beat yourself up about it , it will just make it worse.
  • monica_reinert
    monica_reinert Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness... Your post is me to the "T". I will have a wonderful day and then I"ll eat one thing and it will screw my whole day up. It's so funny how our minds work. I will say to myself ok... Tomorrow is a new day and then it will take me another 3 days to get back on track. It has been such a yo~yo time for me right now. If you want friend me hopefully we could help each other out.
  • DCarney
    DCarney Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It happens to all of us! I found that once I established my motivation, the reason REALLY driving me to change, I really stayed focused and consistent. I know it's easier said than done and honestly, I was at my breaking point before I found it. I have stayed pretty consistent for 7 months and know that I am much happier and healthier now (which became my new motivation to keep going).
    Hope this helps!
    Dana
  • ardorrequiem
    Options
    It seems like you and I have a lot in common today. I often feel extreme guilt and shame about eating. Sometimes I hide it, mostly I just wait until I'm naturally alone so I don't have to feel like I'm hiding it (less guilt if you only have to worry about one side of the coin, right?)

Moderation is hard, but forgiving yourself for not practising it is much harder. I think you and I should both agree to forgive ourselves for being imperfect, thank our bodies for the good they're doing, and promise to treat them like small children entrusted into our care: sometimes you can have a cookie, sometimes you can have the whole box, and I will love you anyway.

Never hurts to try right?
  • sassykendra1
    Options
    Just remember the old addict line: JUST FOR TODAY!

Just for today I don't need to eat chocolate!

Just for today I will walk 30 minutes!

Just for today I will make 3 healthier choices

Just for today I will beat my addiction to food!

Just for today I will be motivated!

:happy:
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    In my past I have been a huge yo-yo dieter ... lose twenty pounds ... gain it back ... lose twenty pounds gain it back.

I have finally hit a point where I am almost at my goal and managed to stay consistent for a year. But ... I will have a binge day or couple of days frequently. Because I dont understand it, I kept track of how I was feeling when I had those behaviours. What I noticed is that I do it when I limit myself too much for too long ... or have a ton of stress that is outside of my control!

Dont be too hard on yourself, you did it once, and can do it again! Feel free to add me!

Instagram @brosis85
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Food addict here, especially sugar. I found the only way to get myself under control was planning. I prep breakfast & lunch and take them to work with me. I know ahead of time what I am doing for dinner. At first it was a pain in the *kitten*, but after I got used to the routine. I made better choices and didn't have to be so anal. I still slip and no guilt here. It's over, move on, we are all human.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I try to be "good" during the week and then on the weekend if I want to allow a small treat I do, or the other night I counted out TEN M and M's and it was just enough to crave the urge. Another thing that I like to do in plan my treat days like know something is coming up and then try really hard and then that day is a reward and not have to feel gulity.
  • iheartmarshall
    iheartmarshall Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck, OP!

The food part was the hardest for me and I had to stop acting like I was on a diet because it wasn't working. I can't sit here and say I will cut out all sugar or that I will eat a salad for every meal -- it's not my reality. But what I can do is stick to a healthy intake and eat in moderation. It begins with small choices, like healthier substitutes (i.e., skim milk vs. whole or lean meat vs. regular) and grows from there. I refuse to completely deprive myself of the foods I love but will only consume them sparingly. Do I plan to eat deep fried pickles with ranch dressing? Absolutely! But not three times a week :)

Your transformation is all about a lifestyle change and making better choices in general. Only you know what your body can handle and there's no need to starve yourself or cut out what you love. You just have to be smart about it and train your body (and mind) to handle moderation.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There are some good thoughts and good attitudes here :-)
  • 7mendon
    7mendon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am just starting and topped off my weight at 223 the most I have ever weighed in my life. I am now on day three and it is not to bad yet. Keep positive and don't deprive yourself. Just start out slowly and it will come. Think about how good you felt when you were thinner. I keep thinking that when I reach my goal or near my goal I can actually go to the back of my closet and shop. good luck to you.
  • Lisacare
    Lisacare Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with the same thing. Some days I find myself struggling minute to minute, with the cravings and the urge to eat in excess. I was just questioning why is it such a struggle to just be healthy? Why is this habit so hard to break. How do I get myself into a habit of eating healthy and in moderation and exercising regularly. Some people seem to enjoy it. Why do I derive so much joy from overeating junk food? I have managed to loose in the past but it always creeps back on, even after several years a few times. Than it's harder than ever to get it off again. Some days I am strong and have no problems eating healthy and exercising, but some days it is a true minute by minute struggle! Some days I win the struggle some days I loose, but the battle continues.... FYI, I hate to loose, I will win this battle and so can you :smile:
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just remember the old addict line: JUST FOR TODAY!

Just for today I don't need to eat chocolate!

Just for today I will walk 30 minutes!

Just for today I will make 3 healthier choices

Just for today I will beat my addiction to food!

Just for today I will be motivated!

:happy:

love this.
  • PaulVLJ
    PaulVLJ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Things that have worked for me:
    Not only set a max calorie (ex: 2000) limit but also a minimum (ex: 1500) never go above or below.
    Instead of one big glut fest at the end of the day have 5 or 6 scheduled meals (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and snack) throughout the day.
    Strict rule if you can’t measure it you can’t manage it, so get a digital scale for your food.
    Calories are a good general start but saturated fat and cholesterol come in second and third.
    Small victories will beep you on track so don’t spend too much time thinking about the big goal.
    I think about breaking my last best weigh in by 1/10th of a pound. That could happen tomorrow rather than 6 months from now.
    Others as well but hope these help, good luck!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I"m with you OP. This is a hard process and I think just being on here and reading through what other people are going through really helps.

Everytime I get on that scale and it hasn't changed is really depressing but I have to remind myself that I didn't get fat overnight and I am not going to lose it ovenight either.

Good luck we can do this!
  • dieter67
    dieter67 Posts: 57
    Options
    I really appreciate all the comments and tips. I've just got to find a middle ground. Not to be too restrictive and allow myself to have what I want but at the same time being in control. I guess what they say about moderation being key has some truth to it. Emotions play a big part and I asked myself what three emotions throw me into overeating or junk eating and it was boredom, loneliness and being overwhelmed so maybe I need to work on becoming better tuned with those emotions. It's all a learning process and again I appreciate what you have to say.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If i have trouble over eating something then I cut it out entirely. I don't buy it and I stay away from it. Same goes for foods that I enjoy, don't have trouble over eating but also just aren't all that healthy, like bread. I could eat a breakfast sandwich everyday, but do I really need the extra 200 calories? No, I'm better off just eating the eggs and bacon. Or replacing the bread with 200 calories of fruit and vegetables.
    So my advice for you is to stop buying the 'just one bite/ half the package' foods. I know a lot of people will say moderation in moderation. But your looking for a healthy lifestyle. Not a 'diet' right? You want to lose 50 pounds and keep it off?
    If so, then you'll just have to either stop eating unhealthy food or really really only eat it in moderation.

That being said, I still drink beer and eat ice cream and candy. But only in moderation and only when it fits into my goals. So just about everyday.

Also think about the nutrients in your food. I could eat a sandwich everyday, but like I said before I'd be better off eating something more nutritious and not need to over eat to get a healthy level of nutrition.

I've lost 50 pounds from my heaviest weight and I'm on track to lose 10 more this month. And you can too. You'll just have to work for it and really change your lifestyle. There's no magic bullet. Except cardio. Yeah, that is actually a magic bullet. And strength training too I guess. And then of course eating right. So there is a magic bullet. 3 actually. Just nobody likes them because they're hard. :)

Good luck with your weight loss. I'm much happier now then I was then, you will be too.
  • dieter67
    dieter67 Posts: 57
    Options
    Guess you just need to fight it as hard as you can and still expect a glich here and there. I do believe it's getting a little easier. At least by recording what I eat, it's opening my eyes.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I definitely struggle with exactly the same issue, and it comes and goes in cycles. Sometimes I eat healthy all day and I'm like, "I feel great! This isn't so hard!" and other times I feel like I want to eat everything in the world all at once and I'm just like, "who cares." All I can say is that the one thing that's helped me more than anything else is planning. Plan, plan, and then plan some more. Take a couple hours on Sunday and make yourself meals and snacks for the week like hard boiled eggs, shredded chicken, veggies & low-fat dips, and apples & almond butter. Have healthy stuff in the house that you can just grab and go like string cheese, low-fat granola, and almonds. Have an exciting dinner waiting for you when you get home from work so you're not as tempted to go through the drive-thru on the way home. Use your crock pot and bake lots of chicken or other lean meat at once to eat throughout the week. Whip up a quick egg-bake for breakfast. It takes awhile to get into the habit of it, but once you start doing it you'll realize what a time- and life-saver it is. Check out Pinterest for awesome healthy recipes and you'll quickly find some go-to recipes that won't take you long when you're meal prepping. Remember we're all human and slip-ups are completely normal, but planning meals will help you get back on the horse faster. Good luck!!