"Bounce back" from binge day?

Options
Yesterday I ate around 3,000 calories in desserts (on top of my near 2,000 a day). Since January I've been having days like this probably once a month. It's usually completely junky, sugary foods. I eat healthy and stay away from that stuff, don't even have it in moderation, but then there's always some party or family member randomly baking and I can't resist. I see it and I crave it so badly. Like yesterday, we had guests over, dessert was pie, I had a slice. After they left , I had another slice with ice cream, then some kit kats, milano cookies, and more ice cream. Why is it so hard for me to stop eating once I start? I don't lose control, I'm perfectly aware of what I'm eating and how much, I just continue to eat until I've overeaten by thousands of calories. This was the first time I actually felt sick and bloated afterwards so that was pretty bad.
Today I haven't eaten much, I'm not really that hungry anyway. I didn't eat my first meal until 12 and I usually am starving as soon as I get up. Been drinking a ton though. I exercised like normal but am thinking I should do more to recover from yesterday. I don't want to gain more weight from one stupid night (I've gained about 3 pounds since December!)

Replies

• ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    As long as you log it you can eat as much as you want, my personal trainer says
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Why is it so hard for me to stop eating once I start? I don't lose control . . .

Certainly sounds like a loss of control to me.

That sounds like a full-on binge to me, and possibly something that you should talk to a counselor or therapist about to get to the root of the issue and learn some techniques for avoiding it in the future. I've heard that overeater's anonymous is very helpful for helping with this too.

To answer your question, I'd suggest that going back to normal eating and exercising the next day. if you're not hungry, don't force yourself to eat, but exercising hours or starving to make up for it will backfire.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

Well, sure, if you don't care if you gain/lose. Whether you log it or not, eating too much will result in weight gain. Logging a calorie surplus does not negate a calorie surplus.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Establish normalcy and move on.

However, you say this happens once a month, sounds like it could be part of an overall restrict and binge cycle and it could be linked to a drastic calorie deficit.
  • ken_m
    Options
    Well, sure, if you don't care if you gain/lose. Whether you log it or not, eating too much will result in weight gain. Logging a calorie surplus does not negate a calorie surplus.

So just log enough to lose weight then? But eat anything
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

So just log enough to lose weight then? But eat anything

You and your trainer both sound very misinformed.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

This^^^^ I think i would lose that trainer too
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I usually have a binge about once a month. Maybe not quite that much in calories but once i start with something yummy i dont care what it is after that. I end up feeling like crap physically and mentally but i have learned to let it go and just get back on track the next day. If i can eat well 80 % of the time then im fine with it.

I do however log it just to see what the damage i did most of the time.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    How about incorporating some stuff you like more regularly so you don't feel deprived and then have to binge on them as if it is a bad thing??? Eat all the foodz in moderation and make them fit into your overall calories goals.

Example: I have chocolate everyday!
  • ken_m
    Options
    Legally not my trainer just a clerk at my hardware store but he is very athletic and rides a bike to work so into sports
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Legally not my trainer just a clerk at my hardware store but he is very athletic and rides a bike to work so into sports

Ignore this guy, he's clearly a troll account.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I think there's something in the air at the moment. Myself and so many mfp friends are struggling to stay on track right now. I feel like I've been on a 6 week binge :o( Make sure your calorie goal is set to a reasonable amount so you don't wake up starving every few days and binge and make sure you log everything - good and bad. By looking at what I've eaten the previous day I at least wake up with the aim of eating healthily and so I keep trying again daily in the hope that'll help get me back on track eventually.
  • ken_m
    Options
    Ignore this guy, he's clearly a troll account.

Bill knows more about healthy workouts then you do and he showed me how to work my lawn aerator
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I've been there many times through the years. Sometimes going 'cold turkey' with any type of 'dessert' may be the answer and never touching it again - OA was the first time I had heard of this practice. And I know that that seems to work for some people.

Or, having 150 calories a day of a treat might work. I know lots of people who buy one expensive treat a day and don't bring it in the house. They savor the flavor and truly enjoy it. Binge eating rarely is slow and we tend to rush thru it.

As for today - the Day After. Eat as clean as possible, limit processed foods and get to the gym no matter what.