Are protein powders a good idea?

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
Not sure about this, but overall I think I'm a bit low on the protein intake. I've hard about PB2 which seems like a good protein supplement. I just prefer the most natural means possible, but I'm not getting quite enough from my regular eating...even eating meats, etc.

Replies

• tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal to say whether it is necessary to supplement a diet with a protein powders, but there is nothing wrong with that. Make sure that whenever you take any supplements you also drink enough amount of water during the day.
  • birkona
    birkona Posts: 24
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing myself. I'm not one to take powders or pills or anything, I prefer it straight from my food. But my friend suggested it to help lose weight and keep you full. Hoping to get more comments on this lol.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in getting more protein directly from food, try adding low fat cottage cheese, almond milk and vanilla to your favorite fruit smoothie recipe. Try fitting Greek yogurt into sauces and dressings. Tuna in water and egg whites can give you a good protein boost for a lower calorie count if that is a concern.

If you are interested in trying protein powders and incorporating term into your regular diet try the link below for a wide variety of ideas.

http://www.rippedrecipes.com/
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Another good kind of protein are crickets, they are high in protein, iron and are suffering from overpopulation in the cricket community
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing myself. I'm not one to take powders or pills or anything, I prefer it straight from my food. But my friend suggested it to help lose weight and keep you full. Hoping to get more comments on this lol.

Everything is down to calories in terms of loosing or gaining weight, so even if you would consume protein powders that would exceed your daily limit of calories you would not loose weight but gain fat. If you can provide required daily amount of proteins from normal food then you shouldn't replace it with a protein powders. Protein powders are low in calories so it all depends on your goal, calories intake etc.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They're fine if they fit in your calories and goals. I typically only have them in pancakes (rarely milkshakes), I find food more filling.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Another good kind of protein are crickets, they are high in protein, iron and are suffering from overpopulation in the cricket community

Crickets...I always have some on hand to feed my sons lizard. Maybe I'll sautee some :noway:

Thanks for the comments, I am going to try first to do it through food, but I was wondering about this.
  • Drdisney
    Drdisney Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a difficult time getting enough protein in while staying under my calories, so I have a scoop (30 grams of protein and 170 calories) or 2 of protein powder daily.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Protein powder shakes are not particularly filling nor do they help you lose weight...the weight loss part is just math.

I have a protein goal of around 145 grams with my weight lifting and other training so I supplement with whey to hit those goals...nothing more, nothing less...there is no particular magic here...it's just a supplement.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I've found them to be very useful for filling me up first thing in the morning with very little calories (my protein powder is also high in fiber) and when post evening workout I look at my phone and see that I need another 200 calories to keep the computer from yelling at me.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time getting even 80g of protien a day. I think I will try this, but what kind there are tons! I priced the vegatrian ones and they are 45-65 bucks for a pretty small container. I really am clueless about these kinds of things.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I thinj they are a good supplement, I've manage to make mine into likE ice cream. Like as if I am doing my cardio tonight I might have myself a protein shake after i get done, anyway I like mine so I call it my, ice cream
  • jennafer32
    jennafer32 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love my EAS complete protein powder! It has 25g protein, calcium, fiber, B vitamins and antioxidants. I use the vanilla one for my shakes, pancakes, waffles, quickoats, muffins & i use the chocolate mixed with PB2 for an awesome shake that taste alittle like a reeses pieces! Mixed with unsweetened vanilla almond milk you can't beat it!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time getting even 80g of protien a day. I think I will try this, but what kind there are tons! I priced the vegatrian ones and they are 45-65 bucks for a pretty small container. I really am clueless about these kinds of things.

If they are advertising as vegetarian, then yes, you would be paying more (and they are probably vegan). Protein powder isn't made from dried meat, it's milk protein, whey, or soy. I looked through the label of mine and couldn't find anything that was meat or egg based.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Ok that is good to know thanks