Birth Control Questions

Options
2»

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I was on the patch for 3 years and it was great! I need to start researching options again. I'm in the middle of a divorce and haven't had to worry about BC for a while now...but with dating again...guess I should get back on it just in case.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I guess I should start looking into this subject also since I'm separated and will eventually be divorced and dating again. There are a lot of good suggestions here.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Just a suggestion my doctor gave me, for anyone on here who's mainly looking for an alternative to the pill because they forget to take it.. ( I would honestly forget my pill once a week before) But he told me to put my pack with my toothbrush. A little odd at first, but I never forget to brush my teeth, and I wind up taking it just cause it's there. Just a suggestion =)
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    There's also natural family planning if you can't find something that will work for you. I will tell you that when used correctly, even though it's a pain in the *kitten* sometimes, it's pretty effective. Hubs and I were able to successfully use it for 11 months after Olivia was born. If you decide to look into it, get the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility and it will help you learn how to track your cycles and use that information to avoid pregnancy. This will work great if you are in a monogamous relationship with no fear of STDs, etc.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    Get him snipped. I stepped down that path and couldn't be happier. :)
    That worked for me (us) except now we're separated:ohwell:
  • rugrat200324
    rugrat200324 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I have been on the pill for 13 years. I have only forgotten 3 times. I put it with my tooth brush. I take it before i go to bed every night. I hope you find something.
  • Jessibear2854
    Jessibear2854 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Nuvaring here. I've only been on it a year but I love it. So easy!
  • ProfPatty35
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you, but I've been struggling with Birth Control for over 3 years. The pill actually gave me blood clots, and now I don't know what to do. I'm looking for a different option too.
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    All I can say is don't use Paragaurd!!! I went off the pill because 5 females in my family got breast cancer, and I was scared to death of using hormones. I researched Paragard, and thought that this hormone free option would be the best. Alas.... I'm in so much pain both on and off my period. It's always a stabbing pain on my right side. The doctor says it's normal! BUT... I have not been pregnant, and IUD's aren't recommended for women who've never been pregnant, so that may be a reason. Also, getting it inserted was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life... Once I've gotten my money's worth of this BC, I'm going to try to find a low hormone BC to replace it.
  • NZGeekGirl
    Options
    We use natural family planning for us also, as someone else said it does mean charting and getting to know your body but we have found it very effective. (there is a three and a half year gap between kids after all!:laugh: ) We chose it because I also forgot to take the pill and these days I'm on medication anyway and really didn't want to add more stuff into my body. We also both dislike condoms but this way we know the times we need to use them and the times we don't have to.

It may not be the ideal solution for you but might be worth adding to the mix as someone else pointed out.
  • solarina
    Options
    Hi girls,

I wore the Nuva ring since I started with my ex-boyfriend and used it for 9 months, it was the worst thing ever... I put on 15 kg and I had a complete lack of libido, apart from the mood changes; when I stopped using it my ex-bf told me he couldn't believe the change. It also made me have a few infections (really painful and uncomfortable feeling during all day).

After that I started using the Cerazette pills and they were good, light hormone intake and easy to use as you don't have rest periods. Now I'm wearing the Implanon in my arm and, with exception of the first month in which I had a continuous period, I'm so happy with it. No mood changes, normal sexual life, it works for 3 years and at least here in the UK is free!

Hope it helps.

Stef.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    All I can say is don't use Paragaurd!!! I went off the pill because 5 females in my family got breast cancer, and I was scared to death of using hormones. I researched Paragard, and thought that this hormone free option would be the best. Alas.... I'm in so much pain both on and off my period. It's always a stabbing pain on my right side. The doctor says it's normal! BUT... I have not been pregnant, and IUD's aren't recommended for women who've never been pregnant, so that may be a reason. Also, getting it inserted was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life... Once I've gotten my money's worth of this BC, I'm going to try to find a low hormone BC to replace it.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the paragard. I had it for about a year and never had those problems you are talking about. Could you maybe check with another doctor? Those don't seem normal. I never had any pain and didn't have any issues with it. The insertion was uncomfortable, but definately not the worst pain I've felt.