Intermittent fasting- Weight Gain?

Options
Hi everyone! So in the summer of 2012, I decided to try intermittent fasting (eat-stop-eat style) where I wouldn't eat for 36 hours and then I would eat for two days and then I wouldn't eat again and so on. I was thrilled because during that summer I successfully lost 25 pounds and reached my goal weight! My weight would constantly fluctuate so I would continue with this diet. Last summer however, I started to see that when my weight would fluctuate to the higher numbers (5-10 lbs), I could not lose the weight at all and I was constantly retaining so much water. My ankles would increase in size so much. I'm still trying to lose that weight in the eat-stop-eat method and I'm seeing that none of it will come off! I constantly feel puffy and gross and miss how my body looked when I first started eating this way. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I can easily gain weight doing IF, in fact this week I definitely will. It's still calories in/calories out.

But puffy ankles is a different matter entirely and I think you should check with a doctor if you can.
  • chaoticgeek
    chaoticgeek Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is all calories in vs. calories out. Gotta track how much you are eating for whatever time frame and make sure that you are under you TDEE for that same time frame.

e.g. you use 2000 calories a day, and over the course of a 72 hour period you eat once then you need to eat less than 6000 calories in that time period. If you ate 7000 calories you would end up gaining weight, if you ate 5000 you would end up losing weight.