fitbit?

Options

Replies

• cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't have it yet but am planning to get the Polar Loop for myself and my daughter who is a swimmer. It says it is water resistant and suitable for swimming. most of their other HR monitors/bands can be worn in the pool for workouts but the loop has similar features to the Fitbit.

I just bought the Loop and I love it. Yes its water proof. I bought It for the heart rate monitor as well. HOWEVER, I read somewhere the Bluetooth signal does not work in water, so you may want to check that out a little more.

the band itself is waterproof but wont communicate with a chest strap in water.
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have had the fitbit zip for a month and it works great. I have lost 11 lbs since April 7. I watch my calorie in and calories out so I can still enjoy my daily beer.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and love it. I like wearing the wrist band and I've never had issues with a rash. I still think I need an HRM for total accuracy. While it is water resistant for sweat and showers, it's not waterproof. I love to track my steps (my goal is 10,000 a day and the wristband vibrates when you reach your goal). You can sync it up to see your daily steps, calories burned, total active minutes, miles walked, etc. I've not synced it up with MFP yet.

I will say I'm having a slight issue at the moment with mine. It won't charge. I looked it up and I have to reset it and see what happens. If there's still an issue, it is under warranty, so I may need to mail it in. I am so bummed because I realize what a great tool it has been for me since January. A good point to mention, I had an MFP friend lose her One. It has a tracking device. So she was able to look for it and it appears FitBit would replace the unit if it was not trackable. I was pretty happy hearing they offer that guarantee. She at least had a good experience with their customer service, so I'm confident mine will be repaired or replaced.

On the other hand, my sister has an HRM and an UP and loves both. Not sure how UP compares to fitbit, but she told me:
    I have the watch (polar ft 7) which is a heart rate monitor, it calculates how many calories you burn. Tells you if your in fat burning or fitness zones. The band is called UP- that you can plug in to your smart phone through ear bud hole. You then add meals to track calories etc, You press a button to record exercise and to track sleep as well.

Hope that helps!
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I really love my Fitbit Force (no rash, lol) I wear it everyday and it helps me move more (so its doing its job). I probably would not have splurged on it myself, but it was a Christmas gift. So, score!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Loop and I love it. Yes its water proof. I bought It for the heart rate monitor as well. HOWEVER, I read somewhere the Bluetooth signal does not work in water, so you may want to check that out a little more.

the band itself is waterproof but wont communicate with a chest strap in water.

You are correct the bluetooth chest straps including the ones for use with the Loop won't work in the water. So you can get the swimming activity on the Loop but not the HR information. I too want it primarily for the HR function but my daughter wants the activity monitor and wants us to be able to share our information. The Loop seems to have most of both our requirements :happy:
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit One, I really enjoyed. It tracks steps and altitude well, although it's not so good at distance.Seeing in real-time how you're doing vs. your goals and friends is motivating. The awards, too!

The big knock is it's easily lost. The Fitbit Force tried to fix that, but was recalled for causing burns.

However, now that the Garmin Vivofit and Polar Loop are in the market, those are what I'd recommend. They not only measure your steps but also your workouts. At some point, most people transition from getting in a few extra steps to doing actual workouts (hiking, swimming, jogging, bicycling, yoga, weights). These can count your steps as you begin and keep pace as your needs become more advanced!
  • kathelbanna
    Options
    If you have a smart phone simply download the fitbit app and turn of bluetooth and it will sync each time that you open the app :) very easy and nice to keep any eye on throughout the day
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and it works great
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Every time somebody asks this, I just have to throw out my opinion.

Basis Band.

Baaaaassssiiiissss baaaannnnndddd.

That is all.

I was going to get that one, but then heard it does nothing for HIIT exercising. Is that the case or no?

That depends on what exactly you're doing for intervals. It automatically detects between three modes - walking, running, and cycling. It also logs your heartrate at those moments, so obviously if you're going from stage 2 to stage 3 cardio, it's going to track the rising and falling of your HR but it's all going to register as "running." If you're applying HIIT to strength training it won't log much useful data. What exactly are you looking to get out of it for data logging?

The sleep tracking alone puts the Basis leagues above the rest in my opinion.
    I had not heard of the Basis Band so I thought I would check it out. It is pretty cool (assuming it works as advertised) however it does NOT have a true HR monitor and if that is what you want - HR monitoring through out a workout or HIIT it doesn't do it. As they said in a question response (and there is a page devoted to the topic on their site) "Our primary focus is on capturing heart rate patterns overall (throughout the day and night) instead of specifically monitoring during moments of activity. We are as accurate as we can as a wrist based device, but the tracker should be used in conjunction with a traditional chest strap for high intensity workouts." You would need to wear a HR monitor with a chest strap in addition to the Basis Band.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fibit One for a year and a half and I love it! The display is great to take a quick look at where you are for the day. We won a Flex and I wore it for a few days but didn't like having it on my arm with dress clothes where the One I can put in my pocket. I don't like not having the display either. Buy the One. With the extra to have the quick rechargeable battery.
  • CA_Underdog
    Options
    I had not heard of the Basis Band so I thought I would check it out. It is pretty cool (assuming it works as advertised) however it does NOT have a true HR monitor and if that is what you want - You would need to wear a HR monitor with a chest strap in addition to the Basis Band.

DC Rainmaker, a great site for activity tracker reviews, tested the Basis last year and came to the same conclusion--it doesn't track workouts well. The release of the Vivofit and Loop are game-changers.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit Flex. I haven't tried it in the pool yet, but I will. It is a great motivator to get moving and get my steps in. I have found it doesn't do a great job with tracking work outs, i.e. weights, classes, etc. It also will miss steps if I am pushing a grocery cart or suitcase.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    They have 3 different ones right now not 2.

Not all phones will sync to it at all. Not even every iPhone will.

The One is better IMHO because you dont need to wear it on your wrist & therefore it will pick up every step...that's what it is designed for in the 1st place...not hand movements. It is easily hidden, not easily lost & the only time you need to charge it is when you are in the shower. It wont fall off your wrist, cause a rash, get dirty, look dirty.

I love my One.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just got a Flex on Monday. I love it!! There are certain activities, like elliptical, grass cutting and shopping I will put it in my pocket. Seems to log better that way with those task. I love how I can put it on my wrist and just forget about it. Not having to worry about leaving it at home. I have not ventured into any form of water with it just yet.
  • CA_Underdog
    Options
    not easily lost

"I lost my Fitbit One" is one of the more common messages over in the One forum. Mine got snagged on my seatbelt and fell out every few times I exited my car, despite facing it the correct way. I suspect it depended how "stiff" the pocket was on the pair of shorts/pants that it was clinging to. I located my lost One several times before I realized that all the time I was spending locating it could be better utilized. ;)

In fairness, my girlfriend had better success, but then she used her bra strap!
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip I love it one of the best investments I have made
  • GrandMaKandy
    GrandMaKandy Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I started with the FitBit Zip a month ago got so addicted to it that I used my Birthday money to upgraded to the One a couple of days ago so I can track stair climbing and sleep. Wished I'd gone with the One in the first place ~ I was able to get it for the same price as the Zip ~ Awesome little gadgets!
  • bestlife42
    bestlife42 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit force for a little under a month right before it was recalled. I did like that you could just put it on your wrist and forget about it. I figured since it was new to me and recalled I would exchange it for the fitbit one. I didn't like the fitbit flex because I want to be able to see the monitor. I have had the fitbit one for about 2 months and it's great. I like that you can clip it to your bra and it's undetectable. It was more practical for me because when I was going out dress up I didn't want to wear the fitbit force on my wrist. Just something to consider if you plan to wear everyday and all day.

I really like that it sync's with MFP which makes it easy for me. I think having the tracker really makes me more aware of my daily exercise and I need that. I would recommend the fitbit one.
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex now and had a Fitbit One until I lost it playing soccer last fall. The Flex works for me because I run, play soccer and do lots of activities where the clip-on One would fall off (which is how I lost it).

For me, the most valuable part about the Flex has been sleep tracking. I learned rapidly that I wasn't getting enough and used it to help goad me into altering my nighttime habits.

-Tex
  • rosanna88_
    rosanna88_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I really like my Fitbit. It's helpful and you forget you're wearing it.