Why?

Options
I am not losing weight, but I am losing inches. i began strength training and cardio exercise in February 2014.
I am 62, female, 214 lbs. I have a personal trainer who has really been helpful to me. I record my food and exercise on the site and try to stay within the calories allotted. I can tell I am stronger, but I would like to lose pounds also.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest with a closed food diary is to look and check your food logging accuracy. It's awesome you're strength training and exercising in general but without a calorie deficit, you cannot lose weight. Have you read this? It was very helpful to me when I was getting started.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How long has it been? You say you've been exercising since February, has your weight been static since then?

Height, weight, body fat% if you know it?

Using a food scale?
  • EvDianne
    EvDianne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just unlocked my food diary. I am just learning to use this site.
  • EvDianne
    Options
    I'm 5'3, weigh 214. I had always been 5'5 1/2" until 5 years ago --- I drastically shrank!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I just unlocked my food diary. I am just learning to use this site.

It's still locked. Go to My home>settings>diary settings and choose public. :flowerforyou:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    It's still closed :(. See, I always thought I was 5'5" too until one day I got challenged by my sister and found out I was 5'3.5" haha. No fair shrinking!

It's okay :flowerforyou:

You should check out the Eat, Train, Progress group if you get the chance and read their links, etc.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but I don't think it matters.

you've been on a diet/exercise programme since feb? that's 2 months ish... if you are losing inches then you are losing fat. Are you wanting to lose weight, or lose fat?

you probably want to lose fat, don't you. so don't worry too much about the scales. They could be doing anything. Muscle gain, water retention due to muscle gain, food retention in your gut due to increased fibre content. These are all fine, you don't want to interfere with them, they sort themselves out naturally.

The only thing you really need is the fat loss and that's happening. Give yourself another month and see if once the muscles are there, it doesn't start changing for you.

I used to find at the change of seasons on the orchard when the tasks shifted and became highly physical that I did not lose weight, I stayed the same or gained - but at the end of the season when the physical work disappeared, so did a lot of weight. I think muscles retain fluid in themselves to help them function.

So just carry on as you're doing. :)
  • EvDianne
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. I guess it has only been a couple of months----February seems so long ago! I appreciate your help!
  • EvDianne
    Options
    Thank you, I will check that web site. Also I will try opening up the food diary again!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You should be losing weight by now. If you aren't, then you are eating at maintenance not a deficit.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Also take before and after pictures! I bet you'll notice a difference there!
  • EvDianne
    Options
    Good idea.
  • EvDianne
    Options
    OK-- I have opened up my food diary now. I'm probably over eating.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I see a lot of days that look incomplete-- blank dinners and such.

eta: and whole blank days too.

Start by logging everything. Even if you think it's bad, still log it. Second, get a food scale and start weighing instead of measuring/counting. 7 grapes isn't as accurate as 25 grams of grapes. 7 grapes could be 10 grams or 40 grams.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of days that look incomplete-- blank dinners and such.

Start by logging everything. Even if you think it's bad, still log it. Second, get a food scale and start weighing instead of measuring/counting. 7 grapes isn't as accurate as 25 grams of grapes. 7 grapes could be 10 grams or 40 grams.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

I just looked at your diary and came back to say pretty much this.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    The good news is, you're losing inches, so you ARE losing fat, it's just very slow. If you keep doing what you're doing and just make sure you're logging and hitting your goal regularly you'll be sorted. :flowerforyou:
  • EvDianne
    Options
    Help me understand. I am given 1340 calories a day. I earn 200 calories from exercise --- thus having 1540 calories a day allotted to use. Will this calculation allow me to lose weight?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Help me understand. I am given 1340 calories a day. I earn 200 calories from exercise --- thus having 1540 calories a day allotted to use. Will this calculation allow me to lose weight?

Yes, assuming you hit your calorie goal most of the time and assuming your logging is fairly accurate.
  • EvDianne
    Options
    Thank you. I guess eating less calories than are allotted is better.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Thank you. I guess eating less calories than are allotted is better.

No, eating up to your goal is better. If you cut too low you'll find that your athletic performance suffers, along with your energy level. You can lose more muscle than fat that way, which is bad, and you may have other side effects depending on how low you cut. MFP's calorie goal figures in your deficit to lose weight, and your calorie goal is already on the low side. So eat as much as they tell you.