asthma

Options
kaylerrz
kaylerrz Posts: 77 Member
i've had asthma since i was a kid and i find it hard to exercise very long without getting out of breath and having to take a lot of breaks. any advice on what i can do?

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    (1) Keep at it. You can improve your lung capacity, and I've found that my asthma moderates slowly over time if I'me running regularly.

(2) Talk to your doctor and go over your medication.

(3) If you're running in cold weather don't be afraid to use a face mask or a bandana to help warm the air that you breathe. The same goes for pollen season.
  • kaylerrz
    kaylerrz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I agree, do what you can. You will be able to do more with practice. Make sure the medication you are on is used in the best way to support you. You would be surprised that some athletes started off trying to take control of their breathing and flourished. Please don't try to do too much at first though, build up gently.
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do you have a rescue inhaler as well as daily medication? If so, consider (with your doctor's approval) taking it before your workout. I've had asthma since I was a child and at first had the same problem but now I have two half marathons and several 5ks under my belt. Do what you can and build up to it slowly. I have found that my asthma has greatly improved with consistent exercise.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    What type of inhaler do you use? I only use the daily type and don't need the rescue, thankfully. I've found that exercise (cardio) has really improved my asthma. I no longer require the inhaler before a work out. If it's serious, I would suggest talking to your doctor to get a better handle on your asthma, as well as getting ideas on what kind of exercises you can do. Starting with short cardio sessions and working my way up to longer times is what helped me.