Cannot lose weight?

Options
I used to eat A LOT of food while I was on medication. Probably around 3,000 calories a day. I went from 130 5'7 to 170 and 5'7. I've been dieting since September in addition to burning about 160-500 calories a day through exercising. I eat under 1,400 calories a day. I havn't seem to have lost that much. Now I'm 163. It's really depressing. Is there something wrong with my metabolism? I seriously can't take this anymore. I've contemplated not eating at all, but I know that's 100x worse for my body. Please help me. Thank you :)

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Well, definitely don't not eat!:flowerforyou:

by eating at a surplus for an extended period, your body should be in great condition to lose weight. How's accuracy? Logging every day and weighing and measuring your food? How are you measuring calorie burns from exercise?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Here's a great read to help as well. Keep with it. Don't give up and don't lose heart
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Open your diary :)
  • meghanevansaz
    Options
    I won't stop eating :) I just totally feel like doing so sometimes. I log pretty much everyday. The days I don't I have a good idea of caloric intake because I usually eat the same exact things each day. (I'm a vegan, so could that be contributing to difficulty losing weight?) I've noticed that a lot of fat has come off my body. I was 38% BF and now I'm 26%. I've lost inches around my abdominal area, and now my stomach is near flat, but my legs are still 26 inches around- each. I just started counting calories a month and a half ago. Maybe I was eating more than I thought prior to counting calories? I'm not sure. I'm so frustrated. Thanks so much for the help!
  • meghanevansaz
    Options
    I also made my diary not private. Sorry about that!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit. In order to know you're in a calorie deficit you need to be weighing, measuring & logging your food. Every meal, every day.

Read the sexy pants link that SugarLynx posted. It will answer a lot of your questions. The last key is patience. It's not going to happen overnight. But it will happen. Good luck.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Your losing inches and that's more important than losing pounds. Maybe you have been putting on muscle which weighs more than fat. We don't get to chose where the weight comes from.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Your losing inches and that's more important than losing pounds. Maybe you have been putting on muscle which weighs more than fat. We don't get to chose where the weight comes from.

OP is not putting on muscle. Even IF they had the small room for newbie gains (eating good amount of protein, resistance training newb on a good program), it would not be enough to stall them out and certainly not for the length of time its been.

If muscle building were that easy, I want in on that secret
  • meghanevansaz
    Options
    I'm also REALLY bad about drinking water. Someone told me if I drink more water the weight will come off easier? I've gone 1-3 days without water before. I know it's bad. Do you think that would help?
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    I'm also REALLY bad about drinking water. Someone told me if I drink more water the weight will come off easier? I've gone 1-3 days without water before. I know it's bad. Do you think that would help?

I'm pretty bad, too. My days are mostly coffee and tea but I cannot stand plain water lol. I think you should invest in a digital scale ( like 10 bucks at Walmart) and see.
  • meghanevansaz
    Options
    Lol alright :) thanks so much for the help! I'll go buy one this weekend. My scale is super old and off balance so I could weigh more or less than it's saying lol. Thanks again :)
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Absolutely:flowerforyou:

Ya, the digital are much more accurate. Read the sexy pants link too. Pretty much the single best link I've read since being here. It was monumentally helpful to my weight loss. Good luck!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Lol alright :) thanks so much for the help! I'll go buy one this weekend. My scale is super old and off balance so I could weigh more or less than it's saying lol. Thanks again :)

Pretty sure the suggestion was to buy a FOOD scale so you can weigh your foods instead of measuring them. :)
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think the recommendation to buy a scale is a food scale, not a scale to weigh your body. :smile: Good luck in meeting your goals!