wii fit

Options
Is anyone else using a wii fit or other gaming system to help them? If so what games have worked best for you?

Replies

• Jessifer123
    Options
    I got a Wii Fit for Christmas and can't wait to start using it!!! So i'm curious as well to see what games others have found useful as well :flowerforyou:
  • Bobble2610
    Options
    I just got EA Active 2 for Christmas... Which I much prefer...

Downside to Wii Fit... You are left to pick your own exercises, so it's up to you what you work out... Whereas with EA Active (either 1 or 2) you get a personal trainer and you pick an exercise programme... If you buy EA Active for the Wii, it lets you use the Wii Fit board on some exercises, cos some of them are about the right balance to work the right muscles...

A drawback to the EA Active on the Wii, is that you have to use both controllers most of the time, and the cable linking the Wii Remote to the Nunchuck gets in the way sometimes, so buy yourself a wireless nunchuck...

My EA Active 2 is on the PS3, so there is no need for Wii Remotes or nunchucks cos you get tracker pads for your arms and leg, which is so much smoother to use...

Main difference between EA Active 1 and 2 is the graphics and the background scenery... Much better in 2 - gives you more to look at - lol... But there is a-lot more customisation to it and added features like tracking of heart rates and stuff (you get a heart-rate monitor free in EA 2)... But... it doesn't track calories... it still does the "Average burn for someone of your sex, height, age and weight" rather than count your calories based on your heart rate, which is a shame...

However, I'd get EA Active 2 if I were you, cos it's shaping up (forgive the pun) to be a good exercise programme. :o)
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wii fit is fun and\ offers a nice variety of fitness options including yoga, strength, aerobics and balance games. The more you use it, the more games become available. Big plus - this is something my teenage son and I do together for fun.

I don't use it as my primary fitness routine but use it on the weekends during family time.

The downside - if you want to do strength or yoga exercises together, you have to wait until the 'trainer' goes through the explanations.

Does anyone have Wii Fit Plus? How does that work, compared to Wii Fit?
  • skinnyclothes
    Options
    I have the plus and with that your able to pick a routine. You can unlock more games and it has more to offer. I also have a pilates game I think Jenny Mccarthy and an aerobics one. I do want to get one of the dancing ones since I was active in dance classes and drill team my whole childhood and teenage years. I've just been having a hard time getting on track with my work outs . I had a baby about a month ago and I've been having a lot of problems with my back ever since.
  • matina29
    matina29 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just got Wii Fit Advance/Plus. I love it. I never played any other games so I have have nothing to compare it to. I love Rythym Boxing and Advance Step. The running is also great. I burn about 130 calories per 30 minutes but that is approx. It seems like more will open up to me as I keep doing it. I like it also because I don't belong to a gym and Iike the guidance. I recently ordered Just Dance 2, people have told me it is a very intense dance workout. Please note that you must exert yourself independantly in order to sweat, it's easy to just go the motions and that won't be effective. :)
  • Cassandra1219
    Options
    I'm using the wii fit and biggest loser on wii
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have the wii fit and ea active. After having a C Section (3 months previously) I went a bit mad on it and thought I'd did some damage. The moment was lost! Didn't use it again for over a year and discovered when I switched it on yesterday that I'd put on 10lbs since I'd last been on!!! (Can't blame that on baby weight.)

I think EA Active is the best and been using it the last couple of days. It's better than a dvd as it measures you doing the excercises so iis more personalised. Also some of the exercises are great fun - like boxinig. Even the running and kickups are good as you can pass people and the scenery changes - doesnt sound much but makes it more interesting and I wouldnt have tried running so early in my exercise plan (week 1). It is a pain though to keep moving the leg strap and getting the hang of how to hold the remotes whilst exercising - I'm sure it's just a case of getting used to it though.

Hope that helps
    Mandy
  • clover27357
    Options
    The Plus version has quite a few extra games to choose from, like skate boarding and tight rope walking. If you enjoy playing the mini games in your Wii Fit, it'd be worth it to spend the $20 for the plus game, but it isn't necessary.

Fit VS Fit Plus Review -
    http://smallstepstohealth.com/2009/12/wii-fit-wii-fit/

I don't know about the accuracy of the Wii Fit. There are a lot of ways to kinda cheat. Have you seen the xbox connect thing? I was watching someone play it in Best Buy and I swear it was Wii Sports games that they were playing...And they looked like they were getting more of a workout. I can bowl on the couch with my Wii. I suppose you can cheat at anything and it's only human to try to excuse doing so, right? I wish I'd gotten an xbox console instead now.

DDR3!! It's on my wish list. Talk - about - a - workout! It's intense, but the pad is slippery and the actual game is kinda hard to manuver. I'm still looking into ordering it.
  • pikeygirl
    Options
    Hello
    im using the xbox kinnect your shap I cannot compare it againts the wii as i have never used it but the kinnect scans ur body estimates ur weight ( which i have to say it got mine 100% correct) and height then asks u what areas trouble u the most ie thighs, bum or tum etc then it selects the correct programme for you . there are many exercise programmes available and a brilliant cardio boxing class and a relaxing zen class for afters. there are also gym games available with 3 levels of intensity and it has a good range of downloadable exercise programs to mix n match with definitly a good buy and i will definitly stick to it as its so much fun
  • skinnyclothes
    Options
    Once my back starts feeling better I'm doing a fitness boot camp for 2 weeks. I also have the p90x but I have yet tried that one. I've got lots of dvds and a track by my house. I'm going to start back walking this week as things are starting to slow down since the holidays are over. I'm trying to keep with the motivation but its been hard since I can't really just throw myself into it right now.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am using EA Active 2 for xbox kinect. I love it. the personal trainier give you a routine to follow and can tell u if you are going wrong on an exercise or how to work harder. its also really good as it comes with a heart rate monitor. I feel like i get a really good workout from using it, and the trainier does warm up and cool down exercises as well. I have heard it is just as good on wii, only difference is that you have to ue a contoller,I couldnt recommend it more. I used to have wii fit, i found it was good fun, especially the hula hooping, great for the abs! If you are wanting a good calorie burn, I would use another game alongside wii fit, it's fab for toning and yoga, but in my opinion not great for a good cardio workout.

:flowerforyou:
  • aeromat
    aeromat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit is one of the ways I started losing weight when I was 250 (I'm now 207 and was 300). It definitely helped, made me sweat like mad, and sort of prepped me for jogging which I do on the treadmill every other night. Also ran my first 5k this year.

While using it, I dropped almost 30 pounds but it was only a supplement to my plan of proper diet and the 45 minutes of walking I was already doing. Definitely was a good partner.
  • skinnyclothes
    Options
    Way to go on the 5k! I'm planning on doing the walk for autism this fall but that is a ways away lol. There are so many games out there. I think I'm going to get the ea and biggest loser as my next game purchases. Thanks everyone for your input.
  • artype
    artype Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got the Wii Fit Plus at Christmas and EA Sports Active 2 a few days ago.

The Wii Fit Plus is just plain fun. You can get your heart rate up a bit, but it's pretty stop-and-go. I especially like the biking and advanced step. The problem with the step is that once you get the footwork right, it's not very challenging. I was wishing that a higher level I could unlock, but there isn't one.

Fortunately, Sports Active 2 has more advanced step routines that you can string together to work out as long as you wish. Sports Active 2 for Wii does not use the nunchuk (which I have read was a pain to use in the previous version of Sports Active). Instead, it has a wireless sensor that you attach to your leg with a velcro strap (the sensor links to the Wii system through a USB transmitter). I have found it to be easy to use. The program is VERY challenging and definitely gets your heart rate up where it should be. Plus, the program comes with a heart rate monitor so you know how your workout is going. There's no cheating here since you will be able to instantly see if your heart rate isn't where you want it to be.

I plan to use the Sports Active 2 for my main exercise and the Wii Fit Plus for the off days. I'm happy to have both of them.
  • sapphirelazuli
    Options
    I used Wii Fit plus and also Just Dance 2! JD2 is great fun and really gets a sweat on!
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I just started using Jillian Michaels "fitness ultimatum 2010" for Wii. I love it. Jillian kicks your *kitten* and leaves you wanting more! Definitely a good workout for this fat guy!!
  • NZGeekGirl
    Options
    I've had access to wii fit plus for a few days now and I've been really enjoying it. DH and I have been playing the tennis and our muscles are actually aching! Mind you we do really get into it, moving like we're actually playing which is helping build up a sweat.

I also really enjoy the Rhythm Boxing, lots of fun, again I built up a sweat and am finding the higher levels challenging at least at the moment. I'm also enjoying the balancing games as well.

I would love to try some more exercise ones like Jillian Michaels. We're pretty well convinced we want our own wii system now.

Eventually I know it won't be enough for the primary means of exercise but right now it is getting me (and DH) up and moving and I'd prefer it for the kids than other computer/console games!
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    wii Zumba is on amazon UK site from today - hurrah!

Just ordered it so should be zumba-ing around the house in a few days :-)
  • clover27357
    Options
    Aw, I want the Just Dance 2 game, but everyone says it's just waving the remote around. When we play bowling as a family, I cheat by playing on the sofa...Is it really just the remote wave? I'd be so tempted to cheat if it was.

Have you played DDR? I played DDR2, which is a he11 of a workout, but the mat isn't all that acurate and it's like stomping on a diaper. I'm starting to thnk that diaper mat might be worth it though. Seriously, it's an intense workout
  • dstackable
    Options
    I use the wii fit plus, I like it more then the wii fit because you can pick and choose easier. I have seen the Just Dance 2 game. You can just wave around the remote, but it is more fun to actually dance with the kids :)