Travel and weight loss

Next week I'm traveling for work. That means, not only the plane rides to and from and sitting in a training class all week, but also being without my scale and measuring cups for the week. I *THINK* I can eyeball it for a week, but I'll also be eating out all week so even if I am able accurately guess how much I'm eating I'll be hard pressed to figure out exactly how many calories are in each meal.

I'm brining my sneakers and gym clothes and have my fingers crossed that the hotel has a "gym" (if you can call it that).

Any other tips for traveling and keeping within your caloric limits?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    if your eating out then just ask the waiter for nutritional info, but other than that just try to stick to your calorie intake by counting as much as possible or just make sensible choices. things dont change much when it comes to calorie counting in different ares, you just have to be dilligent.

if your doing some sort of training i assume that you have the opportunity to pack a lunch, so i suggest hitting up a grocery store when you get there and get some sandwich supplies and fruit or something along those lines to help keep the cals down during the day so you dont have to worry as much when it comes to dinner
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    skip breakfast. and try not to over eat the rest of the day. be smart. you're staying at a hotel and not some all-inclusive resort. it's not like you can have food delivered to your room at all hours of the night.

maybe skip breakfast, except for coffee. eat a big salad or something healthy for lunch. find some healthy snack for midday like nuts or fruit. at dinner, make sure you eat some veggies, maybe another salad before dinner. and enjoy a nice one course dinner.

in other words, do the same thing you'd do at home.
  • massromanticfool
    massromanticfool Posts: 34 Member
    I'm travelling next week too, for a week and a half. My plan is to bring gym clothes with the goal of going for a run 3 times while I'm gone. As far as food, I'm planning on buying yogurt, fruit, and granola bars for breakfast and snacks, and sandwiches or salads with nutritional info from the grocery for lunch. That just leaves dinner unaccounted for, so I'm just going to do my best to make healthy choices and guestimate to the best of my ability (I sense lots of sushi in my future).
  • tjactive95
    tjactive95 Posts: 2
    It's only for one week! Not a whole lot will change with your body for one week as long as you're cautious. Definitely make sure you eat breakfast, if you skip breakfast then your metabolism will slow down and make it harder for you to burn fat, it'll also increase your body's likelihood to feel fatigued, dehydrated and malnourished. If you're eating at the hotel go for (as close as possible) to what you normally have at home, or if thats not available just make healthy alternatives - eggs, fruit, etc. Same goes with the rest as your day - just try eat as normally as you do when you're home and just make healthier substitutions for when you're out. Don't deficit yourself in calories just because you're worried that much about your intake, just be sensible and make healthy options and you'll be fine! A couple nights of eating out won't do too much damage so just enjoy it! You've got your workout gear which is great! You can always squeeze in some body-weight exercises too before bed. (my favourite is things from blogilates) Either way, its just a week, you can still be proactive about healthy living while you're away, but its only a week, so you can go back to your normal routine as soon as you get home. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    It's only for one week! Not a whole lot will change with your body for one week as long as you're cautious. Definitely make sure you eat breakfast, if you skip breakfast then your metabolism will slow down and make it harder for you to burn fat, it'll also increase your body's likelihood to feel fatigued, dehydrated and malnourished. If you're eating at the hotel go for (as close as possible) to what you normally have at home, or if thats not available just make healthy alternatives - eggs, fruit, etc. Same goes with the rest as your day - just try eat as normally as you do when you're home and just make healthier substitutions for when you're out. Don't deficit yourself in calories just because you're worried that much about your intake, just be sensible and make healthy options and you'll be fine! A couple nights of eating out won't do too much damage so just enjoy it! You've got your workout gear which is great! You can always squeeze in some body-weight exercises too before bed. (my favourite is things from blogilates) Either way, its just a week, you can still be proactive about healthy living while you're away, but its only a week, so you can go back to your normal routine as soon as you get home. Good luck!

false. completely false.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    When I travel I generally skip the breakfast (even though I religiously eat it at home), because the dinners can be heavy (in my job I can't get out of them, or be seen to be not eating/drinking). I focus on eating mounds of vegetables and salad, enjoy the lean proteins (but sneakily scrape off any sauces) and go for wholegrain starches. If I get the chance I locate a grocery store before I arrive (print out a map on Google maps), and buy myself a few pieces of fruit. I also take granola bars with me and have one for breakfast if the dinner wasn't as heavy as I expected. I usually ignore the food on the plane except if it's trans-Pacific/Atlantic and then I just pick on the appetizer/salad.

I also force myself to drink tons of water, and try really hard to get a walk in every day.

Moderation in everything, try to get some exercise, and don't beat myself up if I don't. It's only one week.
  • Anilynlm
    Anilynlm Posts: 18 Member
    I'm travelling next week as well. I'm on my own for breakfast and supper but work is supplying lunch, which will be sandwiches and veggies. For breakfast, I plan to pick up some fruit and I have mapped out nearby restaurants that can accommodate healthy choices. I plan on taking a bunch of snacks and my workout gear. I may even end up eating better next week than when I'm at home.
  • tjactive95
    tjactive95 Posts: 2
    Not false at all. I study sports nutrition and dietetics at university and there is significant research that supports that skipping breakfast leads to an increase in BP, blood insulin concentrations, triglycerides and FFA's (to name a few) to try stabilise the body's stress from fasting.
  • chr12bu
    chr12bu Posts: 13 Member
    I'm travelling at the moment (away for 8 nights). I'm eating a decent breakfast (and trying not to chose anything with refined sugars - but that's another story). Not having lunch (but I don't usually anyway, unless I'm being particularly active, which, being sat in an office all day, I'm not).

Dinner on the other hand is a different story. I've been avoiding it. My colleagues are out for enjoying as much of the food as they can in the hotel's many restaurants, and I have no desire to sit for two hours watching them stuffing themselves (especially as I've already spent the whole day with them). I've bought some protein bars and some sachets of soup with me, and that's enough for the evening.

Someone on another thread used the phrase "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper" - I'm certainly breakfasting like a king at the moment, which is seeming to be enough.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Not false at all. I study sports nutrition and dietetics at university and there is significant research that supports that skipping breakfast leads to an increase in BP, blood insulin concentrations, triglycerides and FFA's (to name a few) to try stabilise the body's stress from fasting.

If you studied sports nutrition, then you should realize that meal timing (including the whole have to eat breakfast thing) has been debunked.