Working out before bed

Just curious...I work 3rd shift and have a hard time getting a workout in before I go to work. Is it ok to work out just before going to bed? I've tried and failed several attempts at getting up early to do it. I figure, working out before bed is better than no work out at all, right?

Replies

• nemodawson
    nemodawson Posts: 6 Member
    There was a time when I only had a chance to workout before bed. I was still able to fall asleep and lose weight. I didn't eat after my workout most of the time, and if I did it was a protein shake. I've been there and understand, I suck at waking up early for anything.
  • twhitney
    twhitney Posts: 65 Member
    I've heard it was important to eat protein after a workout. I don't think it's a good idea to eat before bed though. I don't usually have any problem falling asleep, but I can't get up early unless the house is on fire :)
  • nemodawson
    nemodawson Posts: 6 Member
    You don't necessarily need protein directly after a workout. Your body will be repair itself for 24-48 hours, so you can eat or drink the protein anytime really. Also, if you work out before bed, your body will burn off carbs first, then the possibility of more fat burning while you sleep.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Don't overthink it.

The only reason not to work out before bed is if it keeps you from falling asleep. If that's not an issue then go ahead and do it. You'll get just as much benefit as someone working out in the morning.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Nothing wrong working out before bed. Just make sure to drink water afterwards so you don't wake up in the middle of the night feeling dehydrated (saying from experience).
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    The most important thing is to exercise. I work out every night after work--change at the office and go directly to the gym (n chance to get near the couch). Then I eat a light dinner. I never have trouble sleeping.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    I work out late at night and its perfect for me because i'll get my postwork out meal in and be so exhausted that i'll be sure to get my 7 hrs of sleep.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Don't overthink it.

The only reason not to work out before bed is if it keeps you from falling asleep. If that's not an issue then go ahead and do it. You'll get just as much benefit as someone working out in the morning.

^^^ THIS.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    I workout at night no problems. It is all just what your preferences is, and yes I still have food after my night workout
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    I believe the eating protein after a workout really only applies to muscle building workouts rather than cardio.
    So.. If you're doing a cardio-type workout there's really no need to eat protein afterwards unless you're hungry.
    But, if you're doing a strength workout like lifting weights you should have some protein afterwards to help rebuild muscles.

If yo ARE lifting or whatnot, you should eat something protein rich and some carbs within 30-45 minutes after you're done.

Recent studies have shown that eating before bed isn't really that bad for weight loss, but it can be bad for indigestion, so keep that in mind.
    Also, working out before bed has a tendency to keep one awake all night because it increases your energy. I've never had a problem with this (I frequently take naps after my workout), but many people do. You'll just have to see what works for you.

ETA: If anyone has additional thoughts/more experience regarding protein after workouts, please share. I'm definitely not an expert, and I could be completely wrong.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    I work 6 pm to 6 am, go to the gym in the morning after work and have a protein shake on the way home, that gets me home at the perfect time to get the kids ready for school and then go to sleep! I find that I sleep like a baby after a workout and much better than I do if I DONT work out (since its so hard to adjust to sleeping during daylight hours) I dont think there is a problem with working out whatever time is best for you, any time of day is better than not at all! And for me, if I try to squeeze a workout in where it doesnt belong, I am not focused and dont perform as well as I do in the morning after work.

ETA as far eating goes, its all about calories in and watching your macros more than timing of eating. I eat at crazy hours, all day and all night. I work 5 days on (at which point I am eating at night only) and then have 5 days off and eat during daylight. I still lose weight and sometimes I eat right before bed, sometimes I dont eat for hours after waking up (oh no! I skip breakfast!) Has had absolutely no impact in my losing over 100 pounds :flowerforyou:
  • catywilcox
    catywilcox Posts: 11 Member
    I love going to the gym late because it is usually empty and I can use all the machines with out having to reset them when I do a circuit.
  • twhitney
    twhitney Posts: 65 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    The only downside to working out before bed is that working out can often stimulate you so you find it difficult to actually fall asleep. The only drawback of eating right before bed is that you will feel less hungry. Oh wait, that isn't a drawback. Yeah if you want to eat before bed go ahead and eat it doesn't do you any harm as long as you are hitting your calorie goals.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    I work nightshift, sometimes i have extra energy when i come home so i go on the treadmill at like midnight! haha I guess i don't know much about if it's better or worse but it seems to be working for me