Stupid Job Market

Options
Just a post to see how many of you are working in a job that has nothing to do with your degree.

I don't know how the job markets are around you, but I know here in Indiana it has been very rough. In fact, of most of the people that I know who are my age, only those who got degrees in nursing now have full-time jobs in their fields.

I'm sure I'm probably not alone, but I spend so much time being angry. I just wish someone had told me to go in a different direction because jobs are too hard to come by. I wish I had done more research before starting college to learn about degrees that I probably don't even know exist. I feel like I was kind of rushed to just pick something. (My own procrastinating fault, mind you) So here I am working a part-time job, where my current hours have been cut down to 15 this week. I have done 2 jobs in the past, but am really trying to avoid that.

I have days where I regret ever going to college. I say to myself "You could have been working this same crappy job and not have $50,000+ in student loans." I know.... one day I'll be glad I have it. People will tell me that 'just having a degree will open the door to many jobs with higher pay." I have yet to see this happen.

Every job that I have applied for, and see openings for require 3-5 years of experience. That makes me mad too. Well ya know what... we have to gain those 3+ years somewhere, so why not give us recent grads a chance?

*Sigh* Okay. I think I am done venting now.
Anybody else feel this way?

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i feel that way.

i'm in the same boat as you, typing to you straight from my cubicle. gluuuhhh
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I work retail, but I have a degree in education. No one is hiring teachers' aides in my area.
  • Charlie001
    Options
    I should have been a lawyer...........
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My best friend got laid off in October. She has a degree in graphic design, one of the most popular majors in college right now, and one of the most difficult careers to actually get into because there are SO MANY PEOPLE with that same degree. She's been working retail part time through the holidays, but is likely to lose that soon, too. Her husband also has a degree in graphic design, and he's been working sales for the 4 years we've been out of college. And me? I wish I had majored in something else. I liked the program and the classes, but it's not what I want to do with my life anymore, I'm an office manager and I love it. I've thought about getting certifications in administrative support, but I just don't have the money to do it right now.

Good luck, I hope you are able to find something with better hours soon!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am studying an economic university full time and im part time working - but totally not in my field. I hope i will when i finish school... but its hard to start! LOT of people with same school out there...
  • dhorie
    dhorie Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm also in the job market.....withOUT a degree. Oh I went to college, but I never finished my final 2 credits! Talk about a stupid girl. That was 20 yrs ago and I got the job I really wanted back then, but now I want a change & everywhere I apply, they ask: Do you have a degree? Imagine how I am kicking myself when I have to answer: NO! Maybe I can be the voice of "20 yrs down the road" for you, but I do understand - it's really frustrating being stuck. I've heard many times, that the more we hold onto our frustrations, they simply persist and multiply. Maybe let that frustration go & try to visualize yourself succeeding, smiling, happy, and sitting at your new desk/work, etc...and that could all come true as soon as TOMORROW! Just a thought - best of luck to you!! I'm proud of you for jumping in there & getting your college - I just bet it'll pay off real soon.
  • MrsMills712
    Options
    My best friend got laid off in October. She has a degree in graphic design, one of the most popular majors in college right now, and one of the most difficult careers to actually get into because there are SO MANY PEOPLE with that same degree. She's been working retail part time through the holidays, but is likely to lose that soon, too. Her husband also has a degree in graphic design, and he's been working sales for the 4 years we've been out of college. And me? I wish I had majored in something else. I liked the program and the classes, but it's not what I want to do with my life anymore, I'm an office manager and I love it. I've thought about getting certifications in administrative support, but I just don't have the money to do it right now.

Graphic Design = my degree :(
  • CaptainSmedley
    Options
    I have been in the same boat for years. Working in a job that I don't like just because it paid well and I had a knack for it. As I tell my college age kids, if you can find a job or career that you would do for free because you love it, that's the job to take as you will learn to get by financially and will be much happier in the long run.
  • _Sarah_
    _Sarah_ Posts: 63
    Options

I went to school for graphic design as well and the part time retail job I work at is closing at the end of this month. The few design jobs I've spotted are for people who have years of experience.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    On one hand, I agree with these posts, and I absolutely know that the job market can be tough. I also have 3 adult children, ages 20, 23 and 26 who are all at various points along the path described in these posts. BUT, on the other hand, I am an operations accounting manager for a large bank, and when we have open positions, it is SO HARD to find good candidates. As a hiring manager, I am not necessarily looking for experience. I am looking for someone who comes to an interview with enthusiasm and professionalism....someone with decent communication skills...someone whose resume doesn't include typo's, grammatical errors, glaring omissions. In my recent round of hiring, I interviewed one person who told me he was "upset" because he was passed over for promotion in his current job....he had worked for the company for SIX months, fresh out of college! I interviewed two other younger candidates, who had business degrees and some work experience, but presented themselves very "casually", with no polish or communication skills. There was one candidate who was so totally uncommunicative - it was like pulling teeth to get more than a one word response to any question. In addition, there were several interviews that I thought went well, but I never received a "thank you" (email or snail mail). To me, receiving a thank you is a good indicator of common courtesy, follow through, enthusiasm, etc. If I don't get one, that tells me the person doesn't care very much, and I don't want to hire that person.

I know every situation is different, but I would just caution every one who is looking for a job to take a hard look at everything you are doing, and make sure you are putting your best foot forward.

I am not a Human Resources expert, but I can tell you that my experience with trying to hire entry level accountants (in a non public accounting environment) over the past 25 years has been a real struggle! And all I am looking for is someone with basic hard and soft skills, a little enthusiam, a business related 2 or 4 year degree. If they have experience, it helps, but isn't required, for the right person. That's just one hiring manager's opinion, I guess, so take it for what it's worth.