depo vs nexplanon weight gain

Options
So here is my problem. I used to be in super shape. then i started the depo shot. I've been on it for three years. I've gained 50 plus lbs and it doesnt seem to be slowing. I keep track of my calories and i am not eating enough to account for this massive weight gain. i talked to my dr about it, and she suggested the Nexplanon insert because its low dose over a 3 year period. its also a different hormone. I use BC for my monthlies pain management (uterine fibroid pain) only. Has anyone else had any experience with this implant? i am not sensitive to the hormones. they dont make me feel moody or any other side effects other than this weight gain. Please if anyone has personal experience tell me your story.

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Depo shot for over eight months. It increased my appetite and made me eat more, which made me gain weight, but I don't think there's any proof that the shot itself makes you gain. Once I started watching what I ate, I lost all the weight gained from it plus some.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Depo shot for over eight months. It increased my appetite and made me eat more, which made me gain weight, but I don't think there's any proof that the shot itself makes you gain. Once I started watching what I ate, I lost all the weight gained from it plus some.

I agree I have used Depo for 10 years then switched to Mirena then back to depo for that last year...I lost the majority of my weight on Depo...

It does increase appetite...

Keep track of calories means you are logging but logging accurately means weighing solids, measuring liquids and choosing correct entries...

You can gain up to 10lbs on Depo per the insert and studies but that is probably water weight too..anything above that is from eating more than you think.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Seen many people gain from depo. Many fewer women gain while on nexplanon. Even fewer women gain while on mirena. The hormones are very similar (progesterone)