HIIT 4 weeks in question, scale is up from when i started

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been working out with a trainer 2x a week, going on my 4th week now doing HIIT, crazy tabata's....just a lot of workouts that have definitely put my body in shock. I have lost 2 inches on my hips/2 on my tummy and 1inch on the bust.
I have noticed that I have not lost weight at all, instead, gone UP in lbs! Now from what I have read, as long as I'm loosing inches I'm doing the right thing,right?

Now to my main question, When should i start seeing the scale move? Is this really water retention?..... Is it normal for it to go up and stay up for 3-4 weeks ? I started at 189 and I am hovering at 193 at the moment.

Anyone with similar experiences or advice, please share! I would greatly appreciate it. Sometimes that damn scale is SO Discouraging! Thanks:)

Replies

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    how many cals
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I did intermittent fasting all through March, and gained 2 pounds. I think maybe just do the waiting thing, sounds like a plateau to me. I have dieted enough times to say that I, personally, have a plateau every 5 pounds, once things are underway and I am on task (<1500 calories per day). Since it takes me an entire month to lose just 6 pounds, it can take awhile to see the scale move. With people like us (with slowwww metabolisms), scales are not really our friends, I've found. The hard part of any of this, for me, is keeping my calories down, so, because I know I am on task, and the scale is not really going to move, much, or even frequently, I only weigh myself, once a month. If the six pounds is gone, I don't sweat it. :)Those peeps who can lose 10 or more pounds per month, just don't know how lucky they are. Those of us with Neanderthal metabolisms are pretty much forced to develop patience with the process..........:( I wish I had more to give you in turns of support.........sounds pretty normal to me. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    The goal is FAT loss, not weight loss. If you are losing inches, you are losing fat regardless of what the scale says. If your workouts are intense, and it sounds like they are, you could be retaining water and probably are. Personally, if you are tracking your food carefully and measurements keep going down, I would ignore the scale. There are more than enough threads here of women who have lost visible amounts of fat, but weight the same or more than before. No one knows what your weight is, what they know is you are getting smaller. That should be your focus.
  • tazroni
    tazroni Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 on my health life style and I am averaging 2 pounds a week. I am not considering myself lucky. I have accomplished it by sticking within the calories on mfp, logging in every single mouthful I take, even on days where I considered not logging. I have decided I must be accountable for every bite. I measure all food and that within itself has been a huge learning experience for me. I don't have a scales so I take the weight off the package of meat and go on google and convert the weight to ounces so I can gauge the calories more realistically. I try to do 30 minutes to 1 hour of exercise every night and maybe a bit more on weekends if I feel up to it. Luck is not involved, I did it through hard work and perseverance. If I don't lose weight that particular week I know I either need to make alterations to what I am eating or increase my activity, there are no other options.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    how many cals

Since she is losing inches, she is in a calorie deficit and losing fat. How many cals is sort of irrelevant.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I have definitely been diligent with what I have been eating. Not weighing my food, but doing way better than before I was working out.

I guess I will google/look through mfp pics of people who weighed more or weighed the same but looked much leaner through working out!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    weight loss has very little to do with what exercises you are doing. weight control is about energy consumption...consume less energy than your body requires and you will lose weight...consume a balance of energy and you will maintain...consume a surplus of energy and you gain. weight control is just math.

I've been maintaining for a year and I exercise more in maintenance than I did losing...and I'm maintaining....with all of that exercise...because I consume a balance of energy for my activity.

That said, if you're actually losing inches then what is the concern over some arbitrary number on the scale? If you are getting smaller doesn't that make that number pretty much irrelevant?
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    your right cwolfman!

I guess knowing what I used to weigh and how that number was significantly smaller, and how much better I looked, gets me fixated on it. I just have to learn that, with time those things will change.

I am really happy with the inches, and I'm trying to adjust my way of thinking, that the scale isn't everything when it comes to weight loss.