Good lifting programs?

Options
I know that there are lots of books and information out there like new rules to lifting, stronglifts, etc etc... but I am looking for a good lifting program. Ideally 30-45min per day- not opposed to paying a small price for a good program either. My gym does not offer personal training.

I have started the strong lifts program but as I am still "loading", I find that it only takes me 15 min to do the entire program on any given day...

So... any good programs that you know of? Links or names would be awesome!

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts will take 30-45 minutes in a couple weeks, when you need more rest. Make sure you do the warm-up sets.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you are certain your form is good, you can increase the weights some. Another program you might try is allpros beginner program, it usally takes about 45 minutes, you start out calculating your weights so you don't have to start from the bar.
    Mike
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Have you thought of making your own? I did this by doing a lot of research and made my own workout routine that fits my schedule and my goals. There are a lot of good websites (www.bodybuilding.com for one) and good books (The Gym Bible for one) that you can get good info from without science overload but enough for you to make good decisions without feeling like you're prepping for a personal trainer cert. I like building my own workouts. Pre-canned ones just never made me feel 100% happy. Plus the research keeps me motivated. I'm always looking new things up.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Stick with stronglifts a bit longer. It'll get more challenging, I promise.

I agree. Stick with stronglifts. It seems easy now, but if you are adding weight every workout like you are supposed to, those workouts will be 30-45 minutes very soon. At this point with the low weights you are to be working on mastering your form. Give it a month or so and you will find it takes a lot more time. Stronglifts will provide a good foundation for future lifting. I'm not sure how long you have been doing it, but give it time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    SL will take longer once the weight becomes heavier. SL is one of the best beginner lifting programs out there, along with Starting Strength (they're both basically the same save for the rep ranges). You're not going to get anywhere just jumping around from program to program.

SL should take 45 - 60 minutes at heavier weight. Also, are you doing your warm-up sets? Probably not a big deal at lighter weights, but imperative at heavier weight.
  • Fredhatfield2
    Fredhatfield2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't have a patent on it, but I have a lifting routine which I call "The Big Five+":

1. Squats (variations: deadlifts, lunges, leg press, hack squats)
    - Covers all muscles of the legs and butt. Also the lower back if you lay off the leg press and hack squat.
    2. Bench Press (variations: DB bench press, machine chest press)
    - Chest, shoulders, Triceps
    3. Pull ups (variation: lat pull down)
    - Lats, Biceps
    4. Overhead press OR Dips (variations: DB press)
    - Shoulders, triceps and chest (if you do dips)
    5. Bent Row (variations: Seated machine row, DB row)
    - Rhomboids, rear shoulders and biceps. Also the low back with some variations

The "+" part is add some abs afterwards. Crunches, sit ups, sidebends.... Whatever. 2-3 sets of about 8 reps of each. It should only take about 45 minutes to an hour and you cover nearly all the body's muscles.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I don't have a patent on it, but I have a lifting routine which I call "The Big Five+":

1. Squats (variations: deadlifts, lunges, leg press, hack squats)
    - Covers all muscles of the legs and butt. Also the lower back if you lay off the leg press and hack squat.
    2. Bench Press (variations: DB bench press, machine chest press)
    - Chest, shoulders, Triceps
    3. Pull ups (variation: lat pull down)
    - Lats, Biceps
    4. Overhead press OR Dips (variations: DB press)
    - Shoulders, triceps and chest (if you do dips)
    5. Bent Row (variations: Seated machine row, DB row)
    - Rhomboids, rear shoulders and biceps. Also the low back with some variations

The "+" part is add some abs afterwards. Crunches, sit ups, sidebends.... Whatever. 2-3 sets of about 8 reps of each. It should only take about 45 minutes to an hour and you cover nearly all the body's muscles.

So basically the Stronglifts lifts. Adding Crunches and sit ups and side bends is really not needed if working the exercises listed with heavy weight. All of them will work the core a lot more and with less danger of injury than crunches, sit ups and the rest.
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Will stick it out on stronglifts and maybe just add a couple of other things to it to make it feel "complete".

I usually do two warm up set per lift (5 reps) since I am only lifting 20lb above bar weight. I do one at just bar weight just to check my form since I am still a newbie, then I do one set with 10 lb added... then I load up and do my 5x5. Is that enough warmup?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts will take 30-45 minutes in a couple weeks, when you need more rest. Make sure you do the warm-up sets.

This is so true after 8 weeks I am now puasing alot longer and also lifting ALOT heavier IT gets harder trust me Failure is coming lol
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If your willing to pay a bit and want to grow while learning proper technique, look up MI40 .. Best investment I've made and never looked back!
  • 4Pick
    4Pick Posts: 25
    Options
    bodybuilding.com. dozens of programs tied to your goals. don't cost nuttin