Frozen Meals

Options
Hey MFP family needing some advice and suggestion on frozen meals. do anyone think its a good ideal to eat smarts ones, lean cuisine, & healthly choice meals. at lunch & dinnertime along with balancing the meal out maybe with more veggie and salad fruit or yougrt. Is this possible until i get this meal planning on track, also is there some place online where i can find some simple and delicious recipes which i can alter on my recipe plan to fit my needs to make healthly. and on most days i am eating too few calorie once i finish logging pls help. Thks in advance.

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think frozen meals are a good alternative to fast food, etc...but I wouldn't focus on consuming those just to lose weight. A lot of those meals are loaded with sodium. Eeek!
  • tlhill
    tlhill Posts: 5
    Options
    I eat SmartOnes for lunch at work. They seem to be very nutritious and very good. They have such a variety of meals so the choices never get boring. I was thinking about trying the Lean Cuisines too.
  • StormyNoriega
    Options
    I eat the Lean Cuisines for lunch at work. Just enough food and don't feel too full afterwards.
  • rula39
    rula39 Posts: 26
    Options
    I like the Kashi frozen meal alot. I also look at the sodium make sure it is not to high.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I rely on frozen meals! I always add fruit and veggies. Its all I can do since I just rent a room and don't have access to a kitchen to cook.
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    When I was laid up with bad knees I lived on microwave meals chilled and frozen for months and lost weight - as someone else said just watch out for the salt. Adding veg and fruit on the side is good. The big plus point for me is built in portion control and of course less washing up .. Lol!
  • ropedancer
    Options
    I personally don't like frozen meals. I find them a little pricey, and a lot of them don't fill me up very well. But a the same time, I know they work well for a lot of people. It sounds like you just want to eat them temporarily until you get more into the cooking, which sounds like it could work.

And for recipes, food.com has a great database. You can use the recipe sifter option to look for only healthy recipes and/or easy-to-make ones. I haven't tackled any of them yet, but I plan on trying a few out this year.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've tried Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice and Smart Ones and some of them are good. I like some of the Healthy Choice meals but usually like the other ones better because I don't want their dessert. I do like to eat veggies with them to boost the nutrition and especially to make them more filling. I don't eat them often but they're good for me for lunch during the work week. I buy them when they're on sale so lunch is fairly inexpensive and more healthy than other things I could eat.
  • Jones115
    Jones115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    frozen meals are a good thing to have on the go because they have proper portion sizes and are balanced. However, like someone else commented, dont depend on them for 3 meals a day. high sodium intake keeps fluid in the body and thus makes it harder to lose weight.
  • mamagleas
    Options
    I like the Lean Cuisines best flavor-wise. I don't eat them every day but definitely a good go-to once in a while. They have new ones that steam in a bag. They're pretty tasty. As far as good recipes, if you google Heather's recipes you'll get to a great site with good healthy simple recipes. Blessings...
  • Brunette_Babe
    Brunette_Babe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tend to have low fat oven meals in the evening, but i bulk them up with lots of steamed veg.

You're calorie intake wont increase by that much, but you're body wont go into starvation mode because you'll be vey full! Starvation mode only happens when you don't eat very much - hence starvation!

Good luck!

x
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I do Lean Cuisines and Healthy Choice. I don't often go for the Smart Ones. I also prefer the steam in the bag Lean Cuisines and the Healthy Choice Steamers. I think that comes down more to the choices they offer in those. I have them for lunch on work days. People will warn you about the sodium, and its true, but its totally possible to keep your sodium in line the rest of the day even with them factored in. Just keep an eye on it.
  • health4me
    health4me Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The best one I found is "Healthy Choice" not so high in sodium or calories. but high in protein and fiber and they are VERY tasty!
  • lynzyn
    lynzyn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    WAY TOO MUCH SALT i make my own meals in large quantities and freeze them, that way i know what is in them and they r really healthy
  • sassygirl49b
    Options
    Thanks everyone i will get this with you all help, thanks a million.