Adipex Anyone?

Options
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone takes adipex here? If so, what is your experiences with it? Ive been on it for almost a week now and lost about 2-3 lbs. Anyone else? Curious to know! thanks
A:smooched:

Replies

• wifey2804
    wifey2804 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Just wondering if anyone takes adipex here? If so, what is your experiences with it? Ive been on it for almost a week now and lost about 2-3 lbs. Anyone else? Curious to know! thanks
    A:smooched:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's the Adipex that's making you lose weight, or are you exercising and watching your calories? If you're doing both, there's no telling which is responsible, but I'm betting money on the latter and not the former.

I take Tonalin CLA myself, but I'm not 100% convinced that is what is causing me to lose weight. If I went off it, I'd lose about as much.
  • wifey2804
    Options
    I got the adipex from my doctor and take one a day. Ive been exercising about 30 minutes a day and doing pilates too. I dont know if its the pill or not..i got to a point before I found this site to be at a plateau until I started taking the pill. I was just wondering if anyone else was taking it and hear their success stories
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ah, this is an obesity medication. It's a stimulant similar to amphetamines and is addictive. Its generally prescribed for no more then a couple of weeks for people who are severely overweight and at risk of death and other morbid obesity related health issues.

here is more info on it for people who want to know (phentermine is the parent name for adipex, which is the oral version).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phentermine/AN01715
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    Ah, this is an obesity medication. It's a stimulant similar to amphetamines and is addictive. Its generally prescribed for no more then a couple of weeks for people who are severely overweight and at risk of death and other morbid obesity related health issues.

here is more info on it for people who want to know (phentermine is the parent name for adipex, which is the oral version).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phentermine/AN01715
    very interesting. I always wondered what the diet pills were all about and if they could really work. Funny that you can hardly get real cold meds any more without signing your life away, but if you need to lose some weight...here you go:-)
    Wifey2804- You'll have to tell us if they work well for you:flowerforyou:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I took it a few years ago and it did curb my appetite and I did lose weight, but as soon as I got off of it I gained the weight back b/c I started eating more. Just be careful. It seems like a wonder drug b/c it really does make you not eat for hours at a time but coming off it was hard for me. I missed the energy it gave me and see how people can become addicted to it.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I took it a few years ago and it did curb my appetite and I did lose weight, but as soon as I got off of it I gained the weight back b/c I started eating more. Just be careful. It seems like a wonder drug b/c it really does make you not eat for hours at a time but coming off it was hard for me. I missed the energy it gave me and see how people can become addicted to it.

The thing is, and what I don't understand is, why would you want to not eat for hours at a time? It's not about not eating, it's about eating the RIGHT foods in the right portions and exercising. I don't know how it can be plainer then this.
  • wifey2804
    Options
    I dont not eat. I eat all three meals with snacks in between them. I watch my portions and count my calories. It may be an appetite suppressant, but that dont mean those of us who are on the medicine do not eat! Not only is it crazy not to eat, its not the healthy way to loose weight! It speeds your metabolism to help you break down foods faster. My main question was is anyone else on this forum on adipex!!!
  • banks1850
    Options
    I dont not eat. I eat all three meals with snacks in between them. I watch my portions and count my calories. It may be an appetite suppressant, but that dont mean those of us who are on the medicine do not eat! Not only is it crazy not to eat, its not the healthy way to loose weight! It speeds your metabolism to help you break down foods faster. My main question was is anyone else on this forum on adipex!!!

Understood. I'm just making the point that this drug is marketed as an appetite surpressant/ weight loss aid. The thing is, study after study done by university and medical labs confirm that aids don't work very well because when the aid is removed the weight returns. If it worked for you, great! I don't begrudge anyone that, in fact I'm glad for it, God knows we can all use any help we can get. I'm more surprised that your doctor gave it too you then anything else as, from your picture and profile it doesn't seem like you would be a candidate for this drug as you don't look as if you are anywhere near the range that it's normally perscribed.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

The thing is, and what I don't understand is, why would you want to not eat for hours at a time? It's not about not eating, it's about eating the RIGHT foods in the right portions and exercising. I don't know how it can be plainer then this.

I guess that was the point I was trying to make. Yes, I lost weight, but I did not learn how to eat so therefore I gained the weight back. I don't currently take it and have not for some time. It would not be the route I would go again if I had to do it over.
  • banks1850
    Options

I guess that was the point I was trying to make. Yes, I lost weight, but I did not learn how to eat so therefore I gained the weight back. I don't currently take it and have not for some time. It would not be the route I would go again if I had to do it over.

Right, my first reply might have came out a little wrong, I was trying to agree with you but sometimes my replies are a little less then eloquent (like my spelling) :tongue:
  • wifey2804
    Options
    Ya see, Im on it because Ive been pregnant for 4 years (literally)!!! and I just had my son in February. I weighed in at a whopping 184lbs when I had my son! That is the highest Ive ever been! I have lost weight on my own up until now, it seems to have just stopped. So, I asked my doc for something to help me lose the remaining weight. So long story short, I have actually lost around 35-40 lbs before I started it, that is why I look the way I do in my pic and my profile. I didnt put down that I had already lost some of my baby weight. I didnt want to come across rude earlier, just wanted you to understand that I do eat and have taught myself to eat right!!!

Anyway, sorry for any confusion!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Ya see, Im on it because Ive been pregnant for 4 years (literally)!!! and I just had my son in February. I weighed in at a whopping 184lbs when I had my son! That is the highest Ive ever been! I have lost weight on my own up until now, it seems to have just stopped. So, I asked my doc for something to help me lose the remaining weight. So long story short, I have actually lost around 35-40 lbs before I started it, that is why I look the way I do in my pic and my profile. I didnt put down that I had already lost some of my baby weight. I didnt want to come across rude earlier, just wanted you to understand that I do eat and have taught myself to eat right!!!

Anyway, sorry for any confusion!

Not to beat a dead horse but here is what I gather:
    You wanted an aid to help with the plateau you find yourself in and your Doc prescribed an OBESITY pill. Regardless that you lost the previous weight on your own by eating healthy and exercising you are now taking an ADDICTIVE pill to lose the remainder.

From what I have read I think the point is you are not a typical candidate (based on current weight - which is what the doc should be using not your former weight) and now you have the possibility of creating a crutch and/or addiction needlessly.

Many of us plateau and I think the people posting are trying to help you realize that you probably don't need it and it is harmful for you... they are thinking about your health.

With all that said, no I haven't used it sorry I can not be of help on your original question. Good luck.