A binge eater trying to diet...

Options
I am a big time closet binge eater and I have been for a long time. I would like to find the support of fellow binge eaters and exchange stories etc. I know for some it maybe isn't helpful to talk about your binge eating or the most you have ate or how you hide to eat but for me it is so if anyone wants to share it would be helpful for me. Soooo... what's your story?

Here's one from me that happened just this weekend:

My husband and I woke up on Sunday with no coffee or breakfast in the house. So I headed out to get coffee from Dunkin Donuts and bagels, cream cheese and orange juice from the grocery store. Well, while at the grocery store I decided I couldn't wait to eat because I was so hungry. So I bought a bag of Hostess Donettes and ate the entire thing on the car ride home and then proceeded to go home and eat a bagel as well. :(

Replies

• Weimamama
    Options
    That is totally me. I am trying to avoid going to the store by myself so that I don't pull those kind of stunts. I pretty much do the same things that you described.
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    what are hostess donettes?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Sounds like i wrote this topic! :))
    I'm a RECOVERING binge eater (there is an end in sight for you)
    4 months ago, I began my journey here at MFP. Before that, I was binge eating, closet eating, & hiding it all. I would turn down goodies & snacks at work all day & on my way home from work I'd stop at a variety store, buy a big bag of chips, 3 chocolate bars & an ice cream sandwich. I'd eat the 3 chocolate bars & the ice cream on the way home and slip in quietly past the babysitter to hide the chips.

I'd wait until my hubby went to work at night & i'd order a medium pizza & sit infront of the tv eating it all night. I'd bake brownies & eat them all etc, etc, etc. It went on & on & on.

I decided on August 29th that I was going to tap into WHY I was doing it and WHAT i was covering up (mine was an easy find. I knew exactly what i was drowning with food). Binge eating a lot of the time is emotional, you need to tap into why you're eating, what you're hiding from, what you're drowning with food. Once you get a hold of that, it'll become easier to control.
  • cassandra77
    Options

Hahaha they are mini powdered donuts.
  • PixieFen
    PixieFen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    UGH! For me it's when I go out to eat. If I'm at home, I seem to have the will power to stay on plan...but if I go out for dinner (even to a friend's house), I just can't stop eating.

A few weeks ago, I went to a Korean BBQ joint with some friends...and I somehow ended up eating 4.5lbs of beef...and then there were sides, and other dishes on top of it. UGH. I just can't control myself when I'm eating out. I don't know why. So I've learned to not go out to eat (kills the social life a little). Or if I do, I ask that my husband order for me, and not to let me eat anything other then what's on my plate. So aweful :(
  • twins2404
    twins2404 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally do the same thing :0( On my way home from work in the morning, I sometimes stop to get my daughters Dunkin' Donuts. I get everyone a sandwich, including myself. But for the ride home I also get two donuts, or a box of munchkins, which I eat before I get home. I get rid of the extra bags or box and then go home and eat my sandwich with the girls.

I know people say there is a reason binge eating happens, or it's an emotional eating disorder, but how do you ever find this reason, if there seems to be no reason at all?!! So confused, and feeling your struggle :0/

131101.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Hostess Donettes®

Sure, the powdered sugar is a little messy, and maybe not the best thing for your car's upholstery, but for millions of Americans, it’s all part of the irresistible charm of Hostess Donettes. Since being introduced in the 1930s, the little “gems” have attracted fans in many circles – from hungry commuters to lunchbox toting tikes. And while Hostess didn't create the world’s first donut – credit goes to Dutch bakers perhaps hundreds of years earlier — we'd venture to say that our sweet rings are among the most popular, with more than 2 billion donettes in all varieties produced each year.
  • cassandra77
    Options
    It's nice to see I am not alone.... I guess lol I don't wish this on anyone. It's sooo hard!
  • cassandra77
    Options

Hostess Donettes®

Sure, the powdered sugar is a little messy, and maybe not the best thing for your car's upholstery,

Hahaha the dreaded powdered sugar lol soooooo messy!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to talk about it too. Welcome to MFP!
  • stephensgirl
    stephensgirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree super hard we should all make a group together....

I do it all the time too... Just yesterday after I submitted my journal my husband left with his brother for a few hours and I ate some candy, chips and dip, drank a pepsi, and even ate some brownies...I threw all the evidence away before he got home...I wasn't upset, mad, overjoyed or anything..I need to quit.. Today is my first day back to work from my vacation and I am hoping it helps me to get back on track..I am tired of this and I need/want to control it...
  • NMorse1907
    NMorse1907 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am a big time binge eater. There are some days I eat lunch at 12 and then continue eating for the next 4 hours even when I'm way past being full. I know I'm an emotional eater and a "bored" eater....That has been the hardest part of this journey for me so far, not going on a binge just because I'm stressed or upset or bored. I have found that if I chew a very minty gum or hard candy (peppermint) as soon as I'm done with lunch, I tend to binge less....Good luck to you :)
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I am so sorry you are suffering :(

The book Women Food and God by Geneen Roth is a great read if you suffer from food addiction and binges. I read it in January 2010 and have binged ONCE since. The book was life changing for me.

Here's an excerpt from Oprah.com:

http://www.oprah.com/health/An-Excerpt-from-Geneen-Roths-Women-Food-And-God

YOU CAN OVERCOME THIS ADDICTION!!!

Charmagne
  • 11thisismyyear11
    Options
    I also binge eat :( The only way I try and avoid binge eatting is drinking a ton of water, eatting small meals and absolutely, positively NEVER go grocery shopping hungry! When I am hungry, I buy a ton of junk and unhealthy items to later binge on.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Oh I have been there and done/do that... I am a total closet eater.. I pretty much can't do it anymore since I'm now home.. But when I worked I would always stop on the way home, eat it and hide it..
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater....sometimes I would hide it and sometimes I would not.....when my grandmother died, I ate an entire half gallon on chocolate ice cream......another time when I was coming back from taking the comps for my masters....I stopped at Mcdonald's got a quarter pounder with cheese, large fries and a large chocolate milk shake(I had already had a chicken biscuit from chick filla that morning).....I felt awful by the time I had finished all that food....
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need to find out why you're binge eating -- it won't stop unless you sort that out.

I have learned that my binge eating is layered, with several causes. Not all of them are emotional! When you're tempted to binge, stop and pay attention to what you're feeling, and you'll soon notice patterns.

1. My dad, with whom I had a very up-and-down relationship, expressed his love for us by buying our favorite foods. So food = love for me, in a very tangible way.

2. I get stressed very easily, and food gives you a burst of seratonin, making the stress SEEM to go away (of course, it winds up making it worse). This applies to feeling frustrated/angry as well.

3. When I'm mentally and/or physically exhausted, I also binge -- that's a seratonin thing, too.

4. When I'm getting close to a goal (related to my weight loss, or to any other long-term dream, like my writing), I freak out and binge. I'm not 100% clear on this dynamic yet, but I have a feeling it's about fear. The closer I get to achieving something, the more I worry about how much it will hurt if I fail. That's my best guess for now, anyway. =)

Hope that gives you some ideas for what's behind your bingeing. =)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    FYI - there is a support thread that's been going awhile specifically for binge eaters:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/135792-support-for-binge-eating-disorder
  • cassandra77
    Options
    FYI - there is a support thread that's been going awhile specifically for binge eaters:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/135792-support-for-binge-eating-disorder

Thank you so much for that!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me. I used to be that way with those Little Debbie Swiss Rolls and Fruit Roll Ups. I won't even buy them anymore because I just can't control myself.

I find a lot of excuses to binge eat as well. Special occasions, eating out, because "I deserve it".... I'm really trying to take ahold of the reigns now. My wedding is in five months, fifteen days and I want to feel confident and look like a million bucks. If this doesn't motivate me to succeed, I don't know what will.

If you would like to add me as a friend, please feel free! I also know if you do a Search under community and type in "Binge Eating Disorder", there's a group out there for people like us.

Shannon