Eating and working out

Options
If you are someone that works out in the mornings like I do most of the time, do you prefer to eat before the exercise or after and why do you chose to eat when you do? Still not so sure about this one...

Replies

• bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    I don't like to workout after I eat so I eat after. I might grab some nuts or a banana on the way to the gym but breakfast when I get home.
  • cledwards
    Options
    Morning! Unless you're going to eat at least an hour or more before you workout I have read that its ok to work out then eat in the morning. Your body uses blood and oxygen to digest food. While working out your muscles need lots of blood and oxygen to be active. Any who, I eat after I work out in order to replinish my body with nutrients. Keep it up!

What type of excercise do you do?
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    For me not usually- I typically run or do strength sets in the morning, so for the most part I either drink a little water while im stretching for the run, or while I am doing the bodyweight strength set.

I do have longer runs which require a lot more exertion- but for those I usually run them after work, so I have a filling snack before leaving work and run off of that.

Bottom line- if you are doing more than an hour of cardio in one sitting, you should try to eat something (cliff bar etc) about a 1/2 hr before. If you are doing less than that, just follow your stomach.
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee drinker...so if I work out first thing in the morning I drink my coffee and then workout. Drink lots of water while working out and eat breakfast afterwards. If I eat before I feel weighed down. But I usually have breakfast and then work out an hour or two later. But that's not always convenient for others.
  • 11thisismyyear11
    Options
    Hi Aims....this has been a question I had for years too...I feel like if I eat, Ill have energy to workout, but I also feel like Ill get sick during strenuous exercise...I am also curious how fellow dieters respond :)
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Definately after. I get up at 4:30, get my hubby out the door by 5:00 then workout till 6:00, I have an hour then leave for work, I have my breakfast right before I start working. Why? Well, it fits in my shchedule, but also I can't eat first thing in the morning and I can't workout right after I eat.
  • cledwards
    Options
    GO RAVENS!
  • juberry
    juberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday. My system is to eat a 120 calorie mini-breakfast before I work out, then a bigger meal afterwards. The mini is 4 oz of orange juice, a really small bowl of cereal, and a cup of coffee with some 2% milk. The after-workout meal is toast and coffee, totalling about 200 calories. I pretty much adhere to the six small meals a day pattern. I have read numerous articles about getting a little fuel into your body before a workout and my meal seems to do the trick.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Morning! Unless you're going to eat at least an hour or more before you workout I have read that its ok to work out then eat in the morning. Your body uses blood and oxygen to digest food. While working out your muscles need lots of blood and oxygen to be active. Any who, I eat after I work out in order to replinish my body with nutrients. Keep it up!

What type of excercise do you do?

I run on the treadmill 6 days a week from either 30 to 40 minutes. I also walk my dog (fast pace; he's a Australian Shepard and doesn't know how to just "walk", lol) 30 minutes almost everyday unless someone else at the home takes him. I want to incorporate more strength training however.
  • cledwards
    Options
    WOW! It’s nice to hear someone wants to do strength training. I love to lift weights , but since I put on weight so easy I mainly do light weights and with high repetitions. If your goal is to be tone and shaped I would recommend doing full body workouts a minimum of three days a week one day on one day off. You should focus on your major body parts; for example, your back, chest, arms, and legs. Exercise that incorporates a greater level of motion will one incorporate more muscle groups and two cut down on your time. When you get a chance send me friend request and we can stay in touch and motivate eachother.