Good Bye, Papa John!

Options
Why don’t I buy Papa John’s Pizza? After this past weekend, I was reminded of all the reasons I cut Papa John’s from purchases and diet. First of all, as good as their pizza is, it isn’t worth it in so many ways. I love their garlic butter sauce as much as the next person, but there are so many things I don’t like about it.

The price: I would say that these guys make some good pizza, but my income doesn’t really justify its purchase.

The quantity: the price might not be as big a deal, but when I order it is usually two pizzas and some chicken strips which I then spend the next day or two consuming. Granted, this is better than consuming it in one day like I did in the past, but it is still far too much.

The health effect: Other than being heavy on the wallet, this stuff is heavy on my health. There are so many calories in a slice of pizza. Within two slices of pizza, you are already looking at somewhere around 700 calories and that doesn’t even include the garlic sauce and the chicken strips. However, two slices isn’t what I would usually eat as a serving. No, it usually went a good deal past that.

The digestion: This pizza does unpleasant things to my digestive system. I’m not going to go into all the gruesome details, but every time I eat the stuff, my body says: Why? Why did you do this to us? We’ve been good to you. We’ve been burning fat and helping you look good. Why are you abusing our kindness with this degeneracy?

The resolution: In the spirit of the New Year, I am again banning myself from purchasing Papa John’s Pizza. I can still consume it because I can stay in control when it’s somebody else paying for it. I will just be adjusting my web filter to disallow Papa John’s from my web access so that I can be reminded that I don’t order their food for a reason.

Replies

• nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Good post!! I honestly have never tried Papa John's pizza.... I don't think I ever will... I love Pizza but stay away from it .. It's one of those foods that if I eat it I only eat it once every few months...
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The digestion: This pizza does unpleasant things to my digestive system. I’m not going to go into all the gruesome details, but every time I eat the stuff, my body says: Why? Why did you do this to us? We’ve been good to you. We’ve been burning fat and helping you look good. Why are you abusing our kindness with this degeneracy?

ALL pizza does this to me. Unless I make it from scratch with healthy alternatives of course. Pizza is the love of my life but I rarely eat it due to its evil effects.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear you consider Papa John's good pizza. That stuff is horrible, but good luck staying away from it.

Every couple of weeks I will let myself indulge in a slice of NYC pizza... it is SO good and is not all that horrible calorie wise as long as I stick with 2 slices.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear you consider Papa John's good pizza. That stuff is horrible, but good luck staying away from it.

Every couple of weeks I will let myself indulge in a slice of NYC pizza... it is SO good and is not all that horrible calorie wise as long as I stick with 2 slices.

You do have to cut me some slack as I have never been to NY and so have never truly enjoyed what pizza is supposed to be. For a small mountain valley, Papa's is good. but anybody from NY is bound to scoff at the idea...as you just did :D
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of your reasons. It's for these things that my fiance and I are banning eating out. We'll only do it on special occasions (anniversary, birthday), but no more weekly splurges...:-)

Shannon
  • countjackula
    Options

NYC pizza is overrated. :huh:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options

So is sex and sunshine I guess... :laugh:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Take Papa John's off your cell phone contact list too. Let's all do that. Lol
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options

So is sex and sunshine I guess... :laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    ooo...idk....i rate them pretty high here
    :bigsmile:
  • PixieFen
    PixieFen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oooh! Blocking PJ's on my web-browser is pretty brilliant! I just did that on my computer! Thanks!!!
  • newDZ
    newDZ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hey we all have our good "bad" favs. Mine is McDonald's double cheesburger with extra pickles (which is depending on the McDs is 3 instead of 2 lol)... And the suckers are on the $1 menu so of course I ordered 2.

I successfully weened myself off.

My one McD's treat I allow (only in summer) is the soft serve ice cream cone.

So I'm glad you're doing what you need to do to take care of yourself. And I like that you've decided that you'll allow yourself your Papa John's on someone's dime. Lol priceless. Yup do what you need to do.
  • katydid2009
    Options
    I like to make my own pizza. Very easy! I use a whole wheat tortilla...sometimes two if they are thin. Get them good and crisp in the toaster oven, add cheese, FIRST..( keeps the tortillas from getting all soggy), .usually low fat mozzarella. Then my homemade or bottled NO FAT ,-NO ADDED SUGAR SAUCE, gobs of sauteed veggies..muchrooms, onions. red peppers....then top it off with some parmesan and broil. Yummo! Portion controlled, low in fat, high in flavor. And the turkey pepperoni is quit good if it is crispy.