Why am I not losing weight?!?

Options
13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and weighed 170 at my heaviest. I started my own weight loss diet which consisted of me eating low calories 900-1000 calories a few days a week and then 1500-1800 calories other days of the week.Sometimes I would throw my calories to the wind and eat and drink whatever I wanted on the weekends. By not sticking to a strict set of calories per day I kept my metabolism confused and revved up. I did not exercise but I do have a job that keeps me on my feet and walking 8 hrs a day. Over a period of 6months I dropped my weight to 128. I continue to keep my weight steady by doing yoga a few times a week and every now and then having a day or two of low calorie days (900).

During my weight loss journey I remember I would go a few weeks every now and then where I did not lose an ounce. I just kept doing what I was doing and eventually I'd lose 3-4 pounds in a day! I think the body just needs to recheck itself every now and then.

Don't be discouraged! The healthy lean body you will eventually achieve is well worth the occasional hunger pains. Good luck!

I don't encourage this, eating as such does not "rev" your metabolism. Losing weight does not mean you have to keep your self hungry or do an extreme mixup of calories.
  • nmfitch
    nmfitch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Calories in/out is a good way to track so that you are not overeating. When people begin to eat healthier high calorie/fat foods such as almonds, hummus, almond butter etc, they forget that these types of foods are not unlimited and therefore they may not lose weight because they eat too much of these healthy foods. My point is, your body metabolizes foods (calories out) in a different way based on the macronutrients (fructose, fat, protein) the food contains. This means that 100 calories of almonds will not be used the same way as a 100 calories of candy. When trying to lose weight and maintain the weight loss you must understand how your body works and establish a more clean eating lifestyle. Any health professional will explain that calories in/out is not the way our bodies physiologically work. More attention must be paid to what you are putting into your body if you want to see the most effective results. Use calorie counting as a guide not as lifestyle.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Calories in/out is a good way to track so that you are not overeating. When people begin to eat healthier high calorie/fat foods such as almonds, hummus, almond butter etc, they forget that these types of foods are not unlimited and therefore they may not lose weight because they eat too much of these healthy foods. My point is, your body metabolizes foods (calories out) in a different way based on the macronutrients (fructose, fat, protein) the food contains. This means that 100 calories of almonds will not be used the same way as a 100 calories of candy. When trying to lose weight and maintain the weight loss you must understand how your body works and establish a more clean eating lifestyle. Any health professional will explain that calories in/out is not the way our bodies physiologically work. More attention must be paid to what you are putting into your body if you want to see the most effective results. Use calorie counting as a guide not as lifestyle.
    Outside of a medical condition it still doesn't matter. There is a slight difference in energy required to break down the different macros but not significant enough to affect weight loss. A high protein low carb diet does not have any advantage weigh loss wise over a regular one.
    Check out the Twinkie diet for another example.
    Health and body composition may depend on macros and micros but for weight loss CICO still rules.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    do you have the research to back this? I still disagree
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Outside of a medical condition it still doesn't matter. There is a slight difference in energy required to break down the different macros but not significant enough to affect weight loss. A high protein low carb diet does not have any advantage weigh loss wise over a regular one.
    Check out the Twinkie diet for another example.
    Health and body composition may depend on macros and micros but for weight loss CICO still rules.

+1
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and weighed 170 at my heaviest. I started my own weight loss diet which consisted of me eating low calories 900-1000 calories a few days a week and then 1500-1800 calories other days of the week.Sometimes I would throw my calories to the wind and eat and drink whatever I wanted on the weekends. By not sticking to a strict set of calories per day I kept my metabolism confused and revved up. I did not exercise but I do have a job that keeps me on my feet and walking 8 hrs a day. Over a period of 6months I dropped my weight to 128. I continue to keep my weight steady by doing yoga a few times a week and every now and then having a day or two of low calorie days (900).

During my weight loss journey I remember I would go a few weeks every now and then where I did not lose an ounce. I just kept doing what I was doing and eventually I'd lose 3-4 pounds in a day! I think the body just needs to recheck itself every now and then.

Don't be discouraged! The healthy lean body you will eventually achieve is well worth the occasional hunger pains. Good luck!

I don't encourage this, eating as such does not "rev" your metabolism. Losing weight does not mean you have to keep your self hungry or do an extreme mixup of calories.

umm...sounds to me that she/he was doing a zig-zag way of eating...so the total amount of calories overall is not too bad...I know lots of lean/fit people do it thsi way to maintain their physique...but I could be wrong...
  • srubioperezz
    Options
    yes thats true but your not going to see a significant amount of weight loss without excercise.
  • nmfitch
    Options

No I'm sorry I don't have one off hand! I do have years of medical school eduction to back this up. I am not saying I dont believe in cals in/cals out. I tell a handful of patients each day to use this method because it works!!! My only point was, if you feel as if you're not seeing results your hormones and metabolism might need to be burning cleaner healthier foods. Diet foods are loaded with unnatural ingredients that our bodies are unequipped to break down which may lead to more fat storage and results may not come as quickly as we want them to. In addition to this, these types of foods are not healthy for our bodies. Our bodies need the antioxidants and nutrients that come from fruits/veggies/protein. My advice would be to talk to your physician, have them do some diagnostic tests to make sure everything is in check, if these all come back normal have your physician set a calorie threshold for your weight loss and try to stick to that. Just watch what foods you're consuming within that threshold. Although the twinkie diet may work short term, for the sake of your health it is important to learn what foods will provide you with the energy and nutrients you need. Plus you'll feel better! Good luck!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "you are not losing weight because you are not eating enough". If you are truly at a calorie deficit, you WILL lose weight.

It can take time for results to show, however. Weeks of no loss at all can suddenly become a loss of 6 pounds in one week. There are a lot of adjustments being made at the cellular level; have patience. It takes time.
  • WeightLossWarrior6
    WeightLossWarrior6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My opinion/advice is to confuse your body. Maybe instead of doing a strict 1300 calories every day, do a couple days of 1500 calories. Not in a row, maybe a 1500 calorie day on Saturday and a 1500 calorie day on Wednesday. Keeping your body guessing and not being so routine is good for your metabolism (from what I've researched). I'm definitely no doctor or nutritionist, I am in the same boat as you. Diet is the main contributor to weight loss but I have found that being more physically active makes me feel a lot better in general. The little changes count like taking the stairs instead of escalators/elevators, parking further away from the grocery store or wherever you're going, maybe try moving a little more at work of possible.

I also agree with people mentioning to increase your water intake. The 8 glasses of water is a random estimate and most people should be drinking a lot more than that per day. I try to get at least 12 glasses of water in a day. Whether it's through tea, zero calorie flavored water, water with squeezed lime/lemon (even diet soda although that contains sodium which should be kept to a minimum and it's not a good beverage crutch to rely on).

I think the main thing is to find a comfortable enough calorie intake so you aren't going mad and frustrated, listening to your body and being patient. Stressing out doesn't make matters any better. Stress can actually do the reverse effect to what you're trying to accomplish. Also, take measurements and try to go a month without weighing yourself. The scale can be an evil thing.

Best of luck! Feel free to add me as a friend if you need any support. I know how hard it can be.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    You Need to Excerise.Period.You should be losing some weight because You have decreased your calorie intake but if you dont excercise it's not going to help tooo much.Also thats a small intake of calories and your body is probably thinking its being starved from such a significant decrease so its storing the calories it does take in as fat.

Exercise is for your heart health. You do NOT have to exercise to lose weight.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    yes thats true but your not going to see a significant amount of weight loss without excercise.

Everyone is different. I lost the same in the months I exercised 5 to 6 days a week as I did when I sat on my butt and did nothing. It's all about calories in at least for me, she..and you may be different.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No I'm sorry I don't have one off hand! I do have years of medical school eduction to back this up. I am not saying I dont believe in cals in/cals out. I tell a handful of patients each day to use this method because it works!!! My only point was, if you feel as if you're not seeing results your hormones and metabolism might need to be burning cleaner healthier foods. Diet foods are loaded with unnatural ingredients that our bodies are unequipped to break down which may lead to more fat storage and results may not come as quickly as we want them to. In addition to this, these types of foods are not healthy for our bodies. Our bodies need the antioxidants and nutrients that come from fruits/veggies/protein. My advice would be to talk to your physician, have them do some diagnostic tests to make sure everything is in check, if these all come back normal have your physician set a calorie threshold for your weight loss and try to stick to that. Just watch what foods you're consuming within that threshold. Although the twinkie diet may work short term, for the sake of your health it is important to learn what foods will provide you with the energy and nutrients you need. Plus you'll feel better! Good luck!

Again, you are talking about the difference between health and weight loss. No one is telling her not to eat healthy food, but we are talking about the reason she is not losing weight.
    My understanding was the GPs get litle education in nutrition at med school.
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is patience. I tend to go weeks without the scale budging, then suddenly one week it will drop 5 pounds. So, I have finally learned that if I keep doing the right things then eventually the scale will catch up. Frustrating and sometimes it doesn't hurt to change things up within reason - but, be assured your hard work will eventually pay off. Never give up!

Oh - one more thing - you said that you are super busy right now. Make sure you are getting enough sleep - it makes a big difference!
  • nmfitch
    Options

Again, you are talking about the difference between health and weight loss. No one is telling her not to eat healthy food, but we are talking about the reason she is not losing weight.
    My understanding was the GPs get litle education in nutrition at med school.

I came across a research article from the New England Journal of Medicine that shows that a low carb or Mediterranean diet is more effective for weight loss than the same calorie low-fat diet. I've provided the link for the study. It's something to think about especially if you are looking for long term results. Three groups were studied, one low carb (unlimited kcals), one low fat (1500kcals), and one mediterranean diet (1500 kcals). Results showed that those with within the low carb group had the best results over the course of two years, second was mediterranean. These results demonstrate that the type of food you consume will have an effect on how effective your weight loss is.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681#t=articleMethods
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The difference between the two calorie controlled diets is just 5% fat - 35% being 'Mediterranean' and 30% being 'low fat'.
    The low carb unrestricted diet was 'based on atkins', but they were counseled to choose vegetarian sources of protein and fat.
    The low carb unrestricted diet group initially a good bit less calories than the others.
    Overall, I'd suggest there's not nearly enough data there to make a decent judgement on, personally.