How do I get started??

Options
I admit I have really good intentions. I have purchased exercise videos, yoga videos, looked up exercise programs online, checked out gyms in my area, as well as Zumba and other classes, but I just can't seem to (1) start a routine and (2) stick to anything. I admit that I am a little lazy. I tend to make excuses... I worked all day, I have homework to do, I am too tired, etc. I think I need some input on what to do to get motivated to start an exercise/fitness routine.
I do walk some at work, (I am a nurse but I work in a doctor's office) but when I get home I eat supper and then sit on the couch. I would think that wanting to lose the weight that I have gained back would be motivation enough for me to get up and do something, anything, but no... I just sit on the couch and watch TV or read. I have no problem cutting back on sweets, carbs, pop, fried foods, and all that junk, but when it comes to exercise it is a whole different story. I just can't bring myself to do it.
Someone please send me the motivation I need to get started...lol.
Anyone have any advice for someone who is a little lazy but has good intentions?

Replies

• beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just can't bring myself to do it.

Change this part, literally and mentally. Problem solved.

(note to self: practice what you preach!)
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have been there. I ordered the videos, the books, the meal plans etc... but never really but my mind to change. I will tell you that I really started changing my mind set when I started Crossfit (at a gym/box) Feb 2013. You can see my Before/After pics on my page. Going there 4 days a week gave me stability that I never had before. I am so NOT a fan of group exercise but I realize now I needed it.

I went from that to working on my food issues. Started eating paleo... hardcore at first and now jut modified. I really just started to eat more "cleanly". Cut out as much processed stuff as I could. I am still working at it.

Then in January I added in running and have been training with running 3 to 4 days a week as well as crossfit since then. I will say that as you see results it does get easier. I have gone from a size 12/14 to a size 2/4 since Feb 2013. But I still struggle some days. OLD HABITS DIE HARD.

Grab a hold of ONE THING (for me it was crossfit) and build from there!

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I literally started by putting on my shoes. I didn't want to workout and I told myself "just put on your shoes, you don't have to workout". Of course, once the shoes were on, I went for a walk. I also put on my workout clothes. It makes it easier to take the next step. Try putting on your workout clothes when you get home from work and see if the next step follows.

I can honestly say that the biggest motivator for me when it comes to exercise is the mental boost I get. I do it now as an anti-depressant and it works for me better than medication.

Good luck.
  • LauraBest2013
    LauraBest2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For me, it was a case of being so desperately unhappy with how I looked, and I thought to myself "I wonder what would happen to my body if I went to the gym 3 times every week"
    So I did that, and after only 2 weeks I started seeing the changes and I got a buzz. So I kept going, and going, and going. I got hooked. 2 years later I have had a little fluctuation due to moving house and not having access to a gym but this time I am more determined than ever to not undo all the work I've done thus far.

Get moving and you'll feel worlds better!

x
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for me, I like cycling and running. Doing either is a reward in itself, which makes it easy to motivate myself. I even like running in the rain and snow. (Cycling, not so much, unless it's a warmish, light rain.)

However, I am not particularly fond of brushing and flossing my teeth. Still, I have made a habit of doing it, because I know what's likely to happen if I don't.

Strength training for me is more like flossing than running. I make myself do it because I like the results.

You need to either find exercise that you enjoy, or commit to making it a habit like brushing and flossing.