Utterly lost

Options
Brace yourself, this is going to be long.
I started to exercise in november 2012 and began to faithfully use MFP in February 2013. Due to an unhealthy amount of exercise (about an hour everyday, which isn't technically unhealthy, but was seemingly too much for my body to handle) and as I was a 'beginner', I rapidly lost weight - and my period, and my hair and my perception of reality. At the beginning of June 2013, I weighted about 48kg, a continued loss despite trying to 'maintain' on 2000 calories (in reality, a part of me remained happy of this continued loss), all this at a height of 168cm. And I had started at 56kg.
I got sick over the summer. Really sick - for 3 weeks, I was plagued by flu, and lost another kg, which finally forced me to change because I had lost 'enough' and was worrying both friends and family. I started to up my calories, going as far as 2300 cals (ha!, I was stressing during the whole day at that point) during an active cycling trip. But with time and physical exhaustion, my will power began to slip.
I never experienced any veritable binging episode - no, I personally experienced what one could call the 'grazing curse'. This implied tacking a taste of everything in the pantry and in the fridge and consequently ingesting hundreds of calories without counting them because 'it was only a bite' (I am still struggling with this issue but am determined to beat it., in spite of the long time it will take).This was coupled with coffee abuse, to fill a 'void', which I could not identify. By october, I weighted in at 53kg - I was unhappy because I thought I had 'failed'.
Festivities began later on, and for the first time in my life, I began backing. Oh, I love backing. But it was a compulsion, and I couldn't help 'grazing', convinced that I ate less than a portion, but in reality eating more than half of the dish by myself. In spite of this, I managed to get down to 51kg for Christmas. But I still wasn't happy.
Christmas was the day all hell broke lose. I ate over 3000 cals, threw control to the wind. But not for a day, no. For months. And helplessly, I began to gain weight, backing and backing, eating too much and restricting afterwards, while still grazing and achieving no noticeable deficit. I was persuaded that after going to ski in March, I would start anew. I didn't. I kept gaining. To this date I again weight 56kg - the same weight as I did before. The only thing I seemed to have gained, is strength during this period of havoc.

I have to make this clear: I went through a period of denied eating disorder, which back lashed on me afterwards. My body still hasn't healed: if my nails have ceased being brittle and I lose less hair than I did before, my period still hasn't returned. I also know the reason of this: in my vanity to attain an 'acceptable' (what the hell does that even mean?) figure by summer, I have eaten about 1750 cals daily, to more recently 1400 cals. If this might seem acceptable for an adult woman, it definitely is not for someone who has barely entered the realm of adulthood.

So here is my question, even though I already know which would be more reasonable. Should I try to lose some weight for this summer, while remaining at a harsh deficit, so as to be skinnier than I am presently, while losing muscle and strength, my prides? Or should I focus on getting stronger, healthier, fitter while allowing my body to develop properly, to finish growing, to repair its damage? I'm not fat, just not as lean as I used to. And it's killing me. So should I flatter my ego by losing and be subjugated to other peoples opinions due to my own insecurity, or should I focus on becoming healthier both physically and mentally, and lean out properly later on, during a longer period, to achieve my goal of a lower body fat?
Recently, I heard those very wise words: 'when you think you are at your strongest, you might just be at your weakest'. Last summer, underweight and boasting at my lack of visceral fat, I felt invincible. In reality, I was sick. Today, I don't know what I am. I'm just lost. Please, help me make my choice. The right choice. Convince me. Please.

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    tldr
  • SheFoxyLady
    SheFoxyLady Posts: 24
    Options
    Ok. Ok. It's too long.
    Then please, hammer it in my head, that health is more important than gaining popularity through skinny looks. Please do.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So here is my question for you. What exactly is your goal?

Are you looking to get stronger?
    Do you want to be leaner?
    Do you want to develop and show off a little mucsle? :bigsmile:

Or is it simply to make the number on the scale to go down?

Obviously you want to get your eating under control so you are neither binging nor severely restricting. So my advice would be to eat at maintenance (approx 2294 calories per day according to Scooby's Workshop) for a couple of weeks until your eating stabilizes. In that time really think about what you want to accomplish. Then you can decide whether to increase or decrease your calories based on your specific goals.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Ok. Ok. It's too long.
    Then please, hammer it in my head, that health is more important than gaining popularity through skinny looks. Please do.

tldr

However. Oh look. You answered your own question. Good for you!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused. You know the right answer here....

You should focus first on getting healthy in body and mind before even worrying about bathing suit season. As someone who has successfully recovered from an ED, I suggest you speak to both a medical professional and a mental health professional. They will be able to get you back on the right track.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I would focus on food as being fuel and set yourself some fitness goals. Eating towards those and training has been a positive mindset for me. Would note that any medical issues should be discussed with a doctor e.g. the missing period.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Please talk to a doctor who will hopefully refer you to a therapist.

The fact that you don't have a period, are losing your hair, and all the other medical issues you have outlined makes it appear as though you are eating far far too little. The fact that you seem to realize you aren't fat but still want to eat like you are is also telling.

You need medical attention.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You need to get your mind and body healthy. You need to take care of yourself.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

They have a chat feature also.

Please take care of yourself. You only get one body!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    tl"dr but my profile pic indicates large cows like threads called utterly lost
  • SunnyGal2014
    Options
    How do you think it makes people feel who are 56 kg and shorter than you, that you felt the need to lose weight? Grow up and get some treatment for anorexia.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I suggest ignoring this individual, OP.
    They are nothing more than a sad troll with so little of a life that they have to get their kicks out of trying to upset others on the internetz, lol.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    What will make u happy?

Do that
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Forget what makes other people happy, and rather focus on what makes you happy. I can't believe you are a shallow person, who is only interested in gaining popularity for being skinny. Your letter shows me you have common sense and already realize you have a huge problem here. Don't follow the same path,with the same horrendous results. Rather focus on health and being fit. And enjoying life to the fullest!