When should I stop?

Options
I started at 120 and am now 112-113 pounds at 5'4. I know this is barely a loss, but it took 7 months to get to this weight. I don't know whether to continue with my weight loss journey and reach my second goal of 110, stay at this weight or gain a few pounds back. I don't like the thought of gaining weight, but I've lost the curves I used to have and stopped getting periods. When should I stop?

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    It makes me worried that you've stopped having periods. How much have you been eating? At 120, you should try to lose at a fairly slow rate (half pound per week) and you're probably close to a healthy weight. Maybe eat at a slight deficit and pick up weight lifting?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It makes me worried that you've stopped having periods. How much have you been eating? At 120, you should try to lose at a fairly slow rate (half pound per week) and you're probably close to a healthy weight. Maybe eat at a slight deficit and pick up weight lifting?

QFT

ETA: Personally, if you stopped getting periods I'm kinda thinking that's your body telling you to stop. I would consult with your MD about this.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    I started at 120 and am now 112-113 pounds at 5'4. I know this is barely a loss, but it took 7 months to get to this weight. I don't know whether to continue with my weight loss journey and reach my second goal of 110, stay at this weight or gain a few pounds back. I don't like the thought of gaining weight, but I've lost the curves I used to have and stopped getting periods. When should I stop?
    you're already almost underweight... now is a good time to just maintain.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    112 sounds like the lower end of a healthy weight range to me (I'm also 5'4'') but it seems surprising that your periods have stopped at that weight. Have you been exercising a LOT? +1 for seeing your doctor to make sure everything's okay.
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" you should be between 110-140 pounds. The lowest on that scale is 110. At this point, with the fact that you have stopped getting your menses,that you need to back track just a tad. Gain a little back to 115 and do body recomp with weight lifting. There are women on here who weigh more than when they started, but wear smaller clothes because they have gained muscle, but lost inches and they look terrific. You don't have to be thin to be beautiful and being on target weight doesn't make you fit.

You have to listen to your body and do what is best for you. I would also suggest going to see your MD and/or a nutritionist.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have even started...at 5 ft 4 and 120 lbs you were at a great weight...you were less than my sister who is shorter than you.

If you were unhappy with your body you need to exercise...do resistence training, lift heavy weights do something

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I showed this to my sister who thought she needed to weigh under 120 too...it changed her mind I hope it changes yours
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    You shouldn't have even started...at 5 ft 4 and 120 lbs you were at a great weight...you were less than my sister who is shorter than you.

If you were unhappy with your body you need to exercise...do resistence training, lift heavy weights do something

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I showed this to my sister who thought she needed to weigh under 120 too...it changed her mind I hope it changes yours

I love this!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    If you are eating too little and getting too underweight you can stop having periods - as an example, most women in concentration camps did not get periods.
    So I agree with others about considering this a sign that maybe you should stop trying to lose weight now.

However you have not stated your age - I presume you are sure the loss of periods isn't from another more obvious cause - like pregnancy or menopause.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My vote would be to gain a little back to regulate your cycle. Lifting weights will help you achieve your desired curves back.
  • ObsessedMonster
    ObsessedMonster Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 years old and a virgin, so I hope I'm not in early menopause I eat around 1500-1600 calories a day and work out 3 times a week (weight lifting) with some light cardio on recovery days. I don't know whether I should continue eating and exercising this way because my body's not agreeing with it for some reason.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I love this!

As do I.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Unless there is an underlying condition that is stopping your periods, I would stop the weight loss and see a doctor to evaluate your health and nutritional needs (you might need to go see a nutritionist/dietician).

I also agree with Stef's post re: the nerdfitness post.
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    I'm 18 years old and a virgin, so I hope I'm not in early menopause I eat around 1500-1600 calories a day and work out 3 times a week (weight lifting) with some light cardio on recovery days. I don't know whether I should continue eating and exercising this way because my body's not agreeing with it for some reason.

How accurately are you logging your calories? I think I looked at your diary yesterday and I don't believe I saw days that high, but I could be mistaking you for another person. If you could open your profile and your diary, we might be able to help more. However, if this information is true (you're eating 1500-1600 a day) it should not be so little that you no longer have your period. I think you should definitely go see a doctor right away about it, it might be another issue