Self-scan checkout lanes

Options

Replies

• salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Actually I'd rather use them with a full cart then stand in line behind 10 other people waiting for a cashier. At my grocery there are 20 regular lanes and 6 self-scan lanes, and I almost always go to the self scan because even on a sat morning they only have 4 lanes with cashiers open!!
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Depends on the model; some of them are really poorly designed and don't work well. Move something around on the scale, it has a fit. Put something light in the bag, it has a fit. I don't yell at the cashier or anything, but I hate using the kind my local Wal-mart has, whereas I'm happy to use the kind at VG's (another grocery chain).
  • dwilks42
    dwilks42 Posts: 18
    Options
    Funny that the original hatred of people that drives us to the SELF-checkout (ideally for some nice solitude in a crowded grocery store, amirite?!), is in fact making us hate people even more.

Is that irony or coincidence? I can never tell.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Actually I'd rather use them with a full cart then stand in line behind 10 other people waiting for a cashier. At my grocery there are 20 regular lanes and 6 self-scan lanes, and I almost always go to the self scan because even on a sat morning they only have 4 lanes with cashiers open!!
    ^^ This ^^
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    I loathe self scan chekout lanes. They're wicked annoying. I don't like how the bags HAVE to sit in the teeny tiny bag area otherwise the computer yells at me "PLACE YOUR ITEMS IN THE BAG!" a billion times because I moved one bag to my cart to make room for the others.

Agree! Not a fan of them myself..
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I loathe self scan chekout lanes. They're wicked annoying. I don't like how the bags HAVE to sit in the teeny tiny bag area otherwise the computer yells at me "PLACE YOUR ITEMS IN THE BAG!" a billion times because I moved one bag to my cart to make room for the others.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: they aren't so bad however yes that voice of 'PLACE YOUR ITEM IN THE BAG" is annoying , and when I think the bun I bought is no where to be found on the picture of buns screen :grumble: :grumble: charge me more , ITS A SMALL BUN , not big! :grumble: :grumble: :laugh:
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My grocery store took them out because few people used them. I loved it though. I can go way faster than the employees at the regular lanes.
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    images_zps0c96e387.jpg
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    The ones around here break every 4 customers it seems. I refuse to use them as they put people out of work.

Nah, they'd still need staff to press the little button to confirm folk are over 18 to buy alcohol, knives, wall paper scrapers, BBQ tools.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Nah, they'd still need staff to press the little button to confirm folk are over 18 to buy alcohol, knives, wall paper scrapers, BBQ tools.

Haha! This comment made me literally laugh out loud!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    What annoys me about them is when I put something in the bag, but it's so light that it doesn't pick up on the fact that I put something in the bag, and it asks if I want to skip bagging. I DID put in the bag you silly machine!!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The ones around here break every 4 customers it seems. I refuse to use them as they put people out of work.

...Sudafed, utility knives, toilet paper, duct tape, eggs...
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Actually, the self checkout lanes replace low-paying cashier jobs with high-paying programmer jobs. So don't worry, you're not putting someone out of a job.
  • scispence
    scispence Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to post it as a link but if you cut and past it into a new browser window, you can see how I feel about them.

watch?v=kpdn-4NengQ
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    What annoys me about them is when I put something in the bag, but it's so light that it doesn't pick up on the fact that I put something in the bag, and it asks if I want to skip bagging. I DID put in the bag you silly machine!!!!

At that point, I just say skip bagging. Then it shuts up and lets me go about my merry way.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    OP, you are young (looking at your avatar) - you are used to these.

Many older people who have not grown up with electronic everything, find them hard to manage.

I live in a country town in Australia, they have only just arrived here. like anything new, some people don't like them and some people have trouble managing them.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Many older people who have not grown up with electronic everything, find them hard to manage.

I live in a country town in Australia, they have only just arrived here. like anything new, some people don't like them and some people have trouble managing them.

I can absolutely accept that. I just do not understand why such a person would choose to use them when they continuously have issues with them. There are cashiers available to help them.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options

I can absolutely accept that. I just do not understand why such a person would choose to use them when they continuously have issues with them. There are cashiers available to help them.

Oh ok - if they have option to use a cashier lane - I don't know why they would opt for self serve lane either.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I don't understand them using it either if they have such a hard time. I can get through it fast....but when I'm with my boys they have to help scan and bag...lol I have to help a bit so it doesn't take forever. :tongue:
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love them, especially at costco where the lines for the cashiers are always ridiculous. We need an age limit on them in South Florida though, say 40 and under only. There's nothing worse than watching grandma in front of you take 9 tries trying to scan each item. I've taken to jumping in and expediting the old folks, I consider it community service...