What to do at the gym?

Options
I am 3 years out from weight loss surgery. I have gained back 20 pounds and am terrified of gaining more. I have a gym membership and have done 30 minutes on the elliptical machines and some of the weight machines. I usually do upper body one day and lower body the next and lots of crunches each time. I don't have any friends and I want to make sure I use my time there efficiently.

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'd ask to meet a few of the trainers at the gym. Could be the best $50 you spend there. :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Definitely ask for a tour. And if you aren't too self conscious, maybe ask a few of the members? Most are pretty helpful as long as you aren't intruding on their 'zone'. BUT keep in mind that not everyone really does know what they're doing in the gym, so unless you're talking to a trainer or gym staff, take it with a grain of salt. :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Some gyms offer a free training session with your membership. Ask them about it. Good luck with everything!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Start strength training. Some great programs are New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5
  • kathangel2012
    kathangel2012 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting out there. Don't be scared of gaining the weight, you are in control of this. You are on the right track. Interval training is the way to go. Set the elliptical to interval training and when it's time to go hard you should be breathless and then recover and do this over and over again during your time on the machine. You may only be able to do 15 or 20 mins at first depending on how hard you work out now. See someone at the gym about ensuring you are doing the weights the right way. I am sure if you are a gym member that you know for your weights your last rep whether it's 12 or 15 should be almost too hard to do. You have to ensure you have enough weight on there to make it challenging (not impossible). Don't think you will bulk up you won't. Nutrition as you know is key. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. All the best and wishing you great success.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask for a tour. And if you aren't too self conscious, maybe ask a few of the members? Most are pretty helpful as long as you aren't intruding on their 'zone'. BUT keep in mind that not everyone really does know what they're doing in the gym, so unless you're talking to a trainer or gym staff, take it with a grain of salt. :)

Agree. Sometimes the trainers don't even know what they're talking about. I asked one at my gym about proper deadlift form and he had to get the information from another trainer.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with CA_Underdog: It is best to talk to a personal trainer.. but if you can't afford one.. often you can find a workout buddy at the gym itself... maybe you can post something on the gym's bulletboard