Weight Lifting at 62

Options
Has anyone started lifting moderately over age 60. I would like to explore this but have no idea where to start. Would the book New Rules of Lifting for Women be too much for me? Appreciate any advice. I did try it about 15 years ago and liked the results. Was too wrapped up in other stuff to be consistent then. Have lost 20 pounds without exercising. Do not enjoy walking around here, too many hills. THX

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You might look into this.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • freedom403
    freedom403 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Has anyone started lifting moderately over age 60. I would like to explore this but have no idea where to start. Would the book New Rules of Lifting for Women be too much for me? Appreciate any advice. I did try it about 15 years ago and liked the results. Was too wrapped up in other stuff to be consistent then. Have lost 20 pounds without exercising. Do not enjoy walking around here, too many hills. THX
  • freedom403
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. Will look into the link.
  • kathyflannery129
    kathyflannery129 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am 65 and started strength training recently with some weight lifting, mostly to tone and tighten....I started with a trainer, it is important so you don't injure yourself no matter what age you are...there is a right way to lift and a wrong way....
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women will be fine - no such thing as "too old" Just work with what you have and start - adapt where necessary...

There is also a group on here that you can join and ask questions etc

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

There is also a book "strong women stay young" by Mirriam Nelson - tells you all about the benefits of lifting for more mature women.... It has a very basic programme that can be done from home too - but it sounds as if you are ready for something a bit more advanced...
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 58, M, and have been lifting on and off for about five years now. But, I have been a *regular* lifter for only a little over ten months.

I started with Stronglifts 5x5 but, before that, I spent about two months doing body weight exercises (which would be complementary to SL5x5) to build up my strength.

I am sure each of us is different, but I happen to approach all heavy lifting with great deliberation and regard. It tends to put an enormous amount of load on joints. While young people rebound quickly from injuries and sprains, it becomes much harder to do so with age. Of course, there are many lifters well into their seventies, who are extraordinarily strong. But many, if not most, of them have been lifters for a long, long time.

I think starting lifting at a late age is a different matter altogether. I do encourage it. But, I also advise that it be done with caution.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Also, I have read the "New Rules of Lifting" and the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" (the latter, just out of curiosity). Nothing wrong with either of them. Both of them are fine books by themselves.

But, there is significant evidence in the sports science literature that women and men do need different rules when it comes to working out. Many eminent coaches have turned out college athletes, bodybuilders, and power lifters of both genders, using identical weight training programs.

The beauty of Starting Strength and/or Strong Lifts 5X5 lie in their simplicity.
  • freedom403
    Options
    Well once again MFP people come through. I am ordering the book. Thanks:wink: Everyone.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting at this age, do check in with a trainer to show you the ropes. Chances are he or she will give you a very basic program to start off with. Go slow, and not too heavy at first, especially if one hasn't been doing anything. Lighter weights and more repetitions are easier on older joints in general, although this can change as one becomes stronger. It's never too late, and is one of the very best things one can do, especially for women. Age-related muscle loss can be very evident by 60 if one doesn't do anything to counteract it. The good news is, one can! Don't let anyone tell you you can't put on muscle past the age of 50 - it's not true at all. Sure, it might be slower than it was when a lot younger, but not at all impossible. Slow and steady wins the race.:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to learn from a trainer. Because form is so important in lifting, bad form makes it very easy to get injured. And a 62, injuries take much much longer to heal compared to when one is in their 20's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I started StrongLifts back in October, 2 months shy of my 58th birthday. I read New Rules and Starting Strength, watched tons of videos and had a few sessions with a trainer. I constantly work on form. Sometimes I get frustrated, because I don't progress as quickly as most of the younger ladies, but I've surprised myself with what I can accomplish and how much I love lifting.