First Century, need food ideas

Options
_Resolve_
_Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
Hello all,

I have my first full century ride (100 miles) in two weeks and am interested in some ideas for portable food. I am a type 2 diabetic, so have to keep my blood sugar even over the 8 or so hours I will be riding. I have looked through the "Feed Zone Portables" book but would like to hear some ideas from other endurance athletes that have done something like this. On my training rides I usually rely on larabars but don't think 8 hours of larabars will exactly do the trick.

Open to all suggestions!

Replies

• Bonproducer
    Options
    I have a friend who is a Masters cycling champion and he always has Fig Newtons on his rides.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    bump
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I stop at every rest stop and always do bananas, bagels, peanut butter. I see alot of people suck on candy like gummi bears. I use Clif shot blocks too but not too often. I always mix my water bottle with 3/4 water and 1/4 gatorade to keep my salt up.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    On long rides I drink 50/50 mix of sports drink and water and eat something small every 30 to 40 minutes.
    My staples are malt loaf, flapjack, muesli bars but dried fruits and jelly babies also get a free ride in the countryside.

I'm not a fan of carb gels but they have their place in terms of being easy to consume while riding and not taking up much space (I did my century unsupported).
  • sijomial
    Options
    Goodmorning guys!!! i found some great drinks to help lose weight ALL NATURAL!!! ITS AMAZING and you feel like a new person after a week and you have so much more energy! and they give out a free trial !! check it out guys...https://aloha.com/?invite=iKGx1UurNR4
    Reported. Please take your adverts somewhere else.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In for more ideas...my Tour de Cure ride is at the end of May. So far I'm looking at:

- Cliff bar(s)
    - Banana
    - Nature's Bakery Fig Bars (kinda like fig newtons but better)
    - gel packs
    - coconut water (for hydration)

I will likely do a pasta dish for dinner the night prior and planing on potato salad for breakfast with hard boiled eggs.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    On long rides I drink 50/50 mix of sports drink and water and eat something small every 30 to 40 minutes.
    My staples are malt loaf, flapjack, muesli bars but dried fruits and jelly babies also get a free ride in the countryside.

I'm not a fan of carb gels but they have their place in terms of being easy to consume while riding and not taking up much space (I did my century unsupported).

Unsupported sounds insane to me. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I get a flat and I am 50 miles away from home. I had to take 2 bike maintenance classes before I could even get out on a training ride. Where do you carry all your food and water?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Goodmorning guys!!! i found some great drinks to help lose weight ALL NATURAL!!! ITS AMAZING and you feel like a new person after a week and you have so much more energy! and they give out a free trial !! check it out guys...https://aloha.com/?invite=iKGx1UurNR4

No. Just NO.

It's against the terms of service on MFP to try to sell any products here. So please stop. All of your posts with this have been reported.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Cliff bars work well ...i think they originated for cycling way back in the day
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Raisins are good for energy as well
  • _Resolve_
    Options

Yes! Thanks for this
  • _Resolve_
    Options

and reported.

I don't need your help to lose weight. See ticker below.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    In for more ideas...my Tour de Cure ride is at the end of May. So far I'm looking at:

- Cliff bar(s)
    - Banana
    - Nature's Bakery Fig Bars (kinda like fig newtons but better)
    - gel packs
    - coconut water (for hydration)

I will likely do a pasta dish for dinner the night prior and planing on potato salad for breakfast with hard boiled eggs.

yup yup, thanks!

and also thank you for riding the TdC!
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    Cliff bars work well ...i think they originated for cycling way back in the day

Thanks I use cliff bars once in a while for short rides (20-50 miles) but this is going to be 8 hours + riding and need some whole food options to keep me going.

By the way, try the cliff bar with the added caffeine .. so good.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    I stop at every rest stop and always do bananas, bagels, peanut butter. I see alot of people suck on candy like gummi bears. I use Clif shot blocks too but not too often. I always mix my water bottle with 3/4 water and 1/4 gatorade to keep my salt up.

Awesome thanks!

Im using scratch labs raspberry for hydration, I ride with a camlebak so I make 3 liters with ice and water when I start and fill up every couple of hours.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Unsupported sounds insane to me. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I get a flat and I am 50 miles away from home. I had to take 2 bike maintenance classes before I could even get out on a training ride. Where do you carry all your food and water?
    You have to be able to fix flats - an unwelcome but inevitable part of cycling. Mobile phone and credit card will take care of most emergencies.

I have two drinks cages (one will take an oversized bottle). I have a small bag mounted behind the headstock where I keep food I'll be snacking on while I ride. Some food will get stuffed in back pockets and on a really long ride I will use a bum bag (US = fanny pack).
    I only had to stop and buy more water & sports drink once.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Sorry one more thing!

Use your training rides to practice your eating strategy and then don't change it on the day of your big ride.
    I made that mistake and had a giant breakfast (two breakfasts really) thinking more is better but found out the hard way it just makes you really thirsty and sluggish for the first couple of hours. Stick to your plan.

Have a look at my food diary for 1st of June 2013 if you want a laugh and to see what a 5000 calorie day and still in deficit looks like - supplements and breakfast cover the ride. The protein shake was split half before, half after.