Question for night shift people

Options
I was wondering what works best for you: counting calories from midnight to midnight or from the time you wake up till you go to bed?

Replies

• KristyR341199
    KristyR341199 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I first started tracking my food while I was working nights, I did midnight to midnight, but I found it worked better for me to do from the time I got up till the time I went to bed.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I feel that overnights make logging a little tricky . Eventually you will find a process that works for you and just keep using it. For instance I go to work at 11pm on some days 2am on others but my process is basically the same. All food I eat before coming home gets logged as the previous day. I come home eat breakfast and log it on the current day. Then I go to sleep and wake up anywhere between 3-6pm where I squeeze in 2 more meals before work and repeat logging anything I eat at work as snacks for the previous day. Off days go back on a 12-12 logging since they are usually back to back for me.
  • unskinnybop1
    unskinnybop1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I log it for the next day. Ie 12am is the beginning of the new food diary. After overnight I go home to bed and don't eat anything so its easier to track it like that rather than have 2000 for one day and 200 for he next. Lol took me a while to work that put though. Its alot easier now that I have my fitbit to tell me how many calories I have burnt so I know what I can eat though.
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do midnight to midnight. I don't function until that cup of coffee hits and by then it's close to midnight anyway.
  • twhitney
    twhitney Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Guess I should have looked here before posting my same exact question. :tongue:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I track midnight to midnight.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I do things a little differently, I track from waking up and pace my meals oit throughout the evening and the night. Having each of my main meals spaced out, as I would through the day.
    For example, if I wake up at 3pm ill have my breakfast then each meal I track up untill me going to bed at 7-8am I track as part of that same day.

Different ways work for different people. Thats what I find easiest.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I do midnight to midnight. I work three 12 hour shifts so it doesn't make sense to me to keep changing when my day starts. I changed my diary to six-hour time blocks rather than meals with names.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I do things a little differently, I track from waking up and pace my meals oit throughout the evening and the night. Having each of my main meals spaced out, as I would through the day.
    For example, if I wake up at 3pm ill have my breakfast then each meal I track up untill me going to bed at 7-8am I track as part of that same day.

Different ways work for different people. Thats what I find easiest.

This is pretty much what I do as well.
  • SithRN
    SithRN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just put everything on one meal for the morning when I go to sleep.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it really won't matter as long as you're consistent with whatever method you select
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I also start logging when I get up and have my breakfast at 4pm, lunch will be at my first tea break in work at 21:00pm, dinner will be on my lunch break at 01:30, works fine for me.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    From when I wake up to when I go to sleep... regardless of the time, this is my "day" Been on overnites for about 5 years I think...
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Worked nights for 24 years. I went by MY DAY. When I got up until I went to sleep.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    I went by MY DAY. When I got up until I went to sleep.

+1
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Midnight to midnight works best for me.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Midnight to midnight has been working out for me so far
  • ladonnabeard7
    ladonnabeard7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I track my eating from 12am to 4am 4am to 8am 8am to 12pm 12pm to 4pm 4pm to 8pm then 8pm to 12am..
    .I break mine up into 4 different categories because I don't work midnights 7 days a week this helps me keep track no matter when I sleep. You may want to practice and see what works the best for you. Good luck!!!!! Feel free to add me if you like.