Salt Water Flush

Options
RachM
RachM Posts: 113 Member
Hi! I was wondering if anyone knew if you can use regular table alt for a salt water flush instead of sea salt?

Thanks!

Replies

• AngChambers06
    AngChambers06 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    please enlighten me on this salt water flush
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Its supposed to cleanse your interstines. Essentially you drink a quart of water, and 2 teaspoons of sea salt and you drink it and then wait....You will the have several bowel movements and it is supposed to cleanse you. I went drinking last night and I feel a little yucky and want to try it, but cant find my sea salt anywhere, and dont want to go out!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I would like to know more about this as well!! Hm I wonder if I could find an article anywhere.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • Sallyismyname
    Sallyismyname Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You have to use sea salt- as raw as it comes. You also have to use the proper amount of water (1 liter).The entire liter of sea salt water will will go right through you because the solution is indigestible. It just comes right out of you because the mixture has the same gravity as your blood and is not absorbed. You also have to do it on an empty belly. Warning: Not fun. Don't do it if you have plans for the next few hours...
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not sure about how this works exactly, but in my mind it might be just as beneficial to drink the water straight without the salt... increasing the amount of water you drink generally increases the frequency of bowel movements, especially if you add some fiber to add bulk. If it's a holistic treatment then I'm sure they'd say nothing is as good as sea salt, and table salt has lots of additives (and doesn't taste anywhere near as good as sea salt). Personally, I'd rather just drink plain water than drink water with table salt in it.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i have friends who practice at the oriental academy of medicine where i live. they said you need to use sea salt.

Sea Salt

Sea salt is the unrefined salt that is obtained by simply evaporating the water from the seas or oceans. Sea water is channeled into man-made pools along protected shores, and is then left under the Sun till all the water gets evaporated. What is left behind in the pools is sea salt. Sea salt is 98% sodium chloride, while the remaining 2% is made of other important minerals like iron, sulfur, magnesium and other trace elements. Due to higher mineral content, sea salts are more flavored than table salt.

Table Salt

The common table salt is 99.9% sodium chloride. It is obtained from the terrestrial salt deposits which are mined, heat-blasted and chemically treated. Due to these processes, table salt is stripped of all minerals other than sodium and chloride. Some anti-caking agents are added to table salt to make it free flowing. Although, initially table salt which had just sodium and chlorine as the only minerals was consumed by people, later on, salt manufacturers started adding iodine to it to prevent people from suffering from iodine deficiency diseases.

Table Salt Vs. Sea Salt

Besides the difference in the manufacturing process, sea salt and table salt differ in the following ways:
    While sodium and chlorine are the only minerals contained in table salt, sea salt has other minerals like iron, sulfur and magnesium naturally present in them. This increases the nutritive value of sea salt as compared to table salt. The various minerals present in sea salt helps us to maintain a healthy balance of the various electrolytes in the body.
    The refining process of table salt strips it of all of its minerals, other than sodium and chloride. This makes it an unnatural substance as compared to sea salt, and contributes to high blood pressure, heart and kidney diseases. On the other hand, health benefits of sea salt include, inducing proper sleep, promoting efficient working of the liver, kidneys and the adrenal glands. Sea salts also boost the immune system of the body and don't cause high blood pressure like refined table salt.
    Although, due to the higher mineral content, sea salt may be considered to be a healthier choice than table salt, it has its own drawbacks. One major disadvantage of sea salt is that it is a poor source of iodine. The iodine that is added during the refining process of table salt makes it a better source of iodine than sea salt, altho you can buy iodized sea salt.

hope this gives you an idea of why they recommend it for the cleanse.
  • maynard46
    Options
    I found info on it in "The Complete Master Cleanse" (Lemonade Diet) I didn't last very long by the way. I don't know what I was thinking.

I have actually done the FLUSH and it does work within an hour of drinking it.
    My suggestions:
    *Make sure you don't have to go anywhere.
    *Easier to get it all down quickly if water is room temp or warmer. The last few ounces are the hardest.

Your supposed to drink it all down within 10 min. not space it out slowly.

Interested to here what other people have to say. I would do it again. It wasn't that bad.

Good luck.
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally researched the "salt water flush"...BUT, I do know that sodium and potassium are two IMPORTANT electrolytes that play a majpr role in muscle contraction...all muscle including the heart. If your flush results in flushing out these electrolytes to the point that they are out of balance, you could end up with muscle cramps...or to the extreme...an irregular heart rhythm. Be very careful.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    On the Epsom salt box there are instructions on how to use it...I don't know how healthy or safe it is...Just an FYI
  • aatul
    aatul Posts: 23
    Options
    i hv done it with regular salt...... take luke warm water in a glass add add table salt and gulp it down quick.... drink as many glasses as you can at a decently fast pace till you cant take another sip..... be sure to be right at the loo door, as it will come back out instantly !!
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This sounds very unhealthy to me.

Please check with your doctor before doing something this drastic!
  • brandonray585
    brandonray585 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is old but are you guys okay mentally?? You do realize were on the internet correct? You are asking questions on something that's one google search away from an answer....??
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    just in case ........

trolls_zpsc144fa7c.jpg
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    NM, random necros. Grrr
  • Angela_clulow
    Angela_clulow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It really concerns me that anyone would even consider this it's clearly really bad for you and will leave you dehydrated.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Your colon is perfectly able to 'flush' itself, if you are healthy. Just drink enough regular water and eat your veggies (for fiber) and move enough to stay regular.
  • spaghetti77
    spaghetti77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think this sounds a little scary and it makes me think you are feeling a bit guilty about your indulgence. It makes me want to say to you maybe be a little kind to yourself, we all indulge now and again you are not a terrible person for doing so. It sounds like an emergency reaction to OMG I've had so much - get it out! Also what's the rush? Your body will rebalance itself in the next 24hrs or so anyway. I imagine this will put you through just as much discomfort as sitting it out or maybe even more discomfort for longer. Your body is very clever and will soon sort itself out, I wouldn't give it more to do and yourself the anxiety of trying this out. The salts in your body are very important to balance. I have to be very careful with this personally as I have a tendancy for an irregualr heart rhythm. Take care, be careful and kind to yourself!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    people, this thread is 4 years old. Someone posted their first and only post to lambast the long-gone OP for not googling.