Woman 55+ just joining, looking for friends my age

Options
Hello, everyone~

I just joined this morning and am on a mission to regain my health and strength after three years of fighting breast cancer, the treatments and drug regimen. I'm drug-free at the moment and want to do whatever I can to stay that way. They affected my body so badly that I was practically crippled with pain. No walking, stairs, etc. unless absolutely necessary. Just could not function. However, I've been off the meds for three months and am enjoying my newly found mobility. My biggest complaint are my hips which still ache. So, I'm focused on gaining strength so I can do the things I enjoy doing.

I've dusted off the treadmill and plan to walk at least 35 minutes a day. I know that doesn't sound like much, but my hips just can't take much more. I want to increase that time by 5 minutes each week until I'm walking an hour per day. I also need to do some strength training to reverse the bone loss the meds caused. I would love to hear what others my age are doing for their cardio and strength training. I need the ideas.

My husband and I enjoy the outdoors and try to get out as much as possible. We are avid geocachers, love to hike, ride our bicycles, snowshoeing. I hope by this spring I'll be back in shape so I can do all these things again.

Are there any challenges for us older girls...something to keep us motivated to lose the weight?

I hope to make some new friends here and am anxious to hear from you!

Replies

• msdebg
    msdebg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Congratulations on your cancer sucess, and welcome to the group. I am 60 and am on a mission to really do it this year so we can all encourage each other.

Good Luck!
    Deb
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!:flowerforyou:
    I am 61 and have been on here
    since July. I will be your friend
    and we can motivate each other.:smile:
  • labrat26
    labrat26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 52, and would love to be your friend. We can use all the support we can get, and there sure is lots here at MFP. Welcome, looking forward to getting to know you.
    Lianne
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hi I am brand new to MFP. Congratulations on your journey! I am 58 and would love to share with other women who want to live a healthier life from hereon in :o)
  • dayh1ker
    dayh1ker Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for signing up as my own personal support group! It's interesting to see what you're all doing to get fit and lose the weight. Do you find it much more difficult to shed now that you've passed the 50 or 60 mark? Whew!

I just wanted you all to know that I appreciate your kind comments. They're keeping me going, knowing that there's someone out there keeping track of me. Thanks!