Thoughts on my planned regime

Options
Hello all,

Please could you give some guidance or thoughts around my proposed (and recently started) regime? I am a very overweight individual, carrying far too much fat. I have a decent amount of strength from my Karate and Football days, but my muscles are nothing like they used to be.

I am 5ft 11, 228lbs, and 23 years old. I'm looking for long term sustainable weight loss and a end goal of around 13 1/2 stone to maintain. I have recently been forced to give up alcohol, so that's a great kickstarter for me to begin losing.

Anyway, my issue here is that I struggle with eating small portions. At this weight, my body (and mind) have been used to so much crap, that a 1500 calorie diet is just unlikely, practically.

My plan is this:

2000-2500 calories of clean(ish) eating. I'm not going to restrict any one group, although I'll look to lean meats and vegetables for most dinners and lunches.

4x gym sessions a week, incorporating 30 minutes of hard cardio and 6x resistance exercises (alternate muscle groups of different days and all that).

2/3x road runs a week at somewhere between 5-10km each time, nothing too heavy as I'm carrying a lot of weight and don't want to run the risk of ankle/knee/shin injuries at thus point.

Motivationally, I can do it. I just worry whether if it seems a viable fat loss regime? I fear that if I hit the weights too hard, I won't slim down my upper body like I hope to. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• ClaphamCommoner
    ClaphamCommoner Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Off to the Gym for Legs/Triceps today :)
  • nt199419
    nt199419 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    2-2500kcal is a decent deficit.

I am 85kilo and work out 4 times a week. I lost 3 kilo's in two weeks with eating around around 2350kcal per day. thats about a 350kcal deficit.

I do however, not add calories to my daily intake if I have worked out so my deficit may be a little bit higher than 350.

The key for me turned out to be eating clean, I mostly drink water or skimmed milk and maybe once a day a glass of juice. I also make sure I eat enough proteins, about 160g on a workout day, and changed my breakfast habits. I used to eat 4 slices of bread with chocolate sprinkles and changed that to oat+skimmed yoghurt+a little bit of fruit.

To cut it all short: 2300kcal a day should be a decent amount for you but make sure to change your intake to healthy foods, it matters a lot.

I hope this makes any sense because my native language is not English. Off to the gym, legs+lowerback :w
  • ClaphamCommoner
    ClaphamCommoner Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I am 85kilo and work out 4 times a week. I lost 3 kilo's in two weeks with eating around around 2350kcal per day. thats about a 350kcal deficit.

I do however, not add calories to my daily intake if I have worked out so my deficit may be a little bit higher than 350.

The key for me turned out to be eating clean, I mostly drink water or skimmed milk and maybe once a day a glass of juice. I also make sure I eat enough proteins, about 160g on a workout day, and changed my breakfast habits. I used to eat 4 slices of bread with chocolate sprinkles and changed that to oat+skimmed yoghurt+a little bit of fruit.

To cut it all short: 2300kcal a day should be a decent amount for you but make sure to change your intake to healthy foods, it matters a lot.

I hope this makes any sense because my native language is not English. Off to the gym, legs+lowerback :w

Your English is excellent, I wouldn't worry about that. Thanks for your help.

I am told eating clean is over half the battle, and the weights and cardio will help it along. I'm going to go for 3 weeks of my planned regime, and eat around 2000-2500 a day of decent foods, and see how it goes. I'll report back! :)
  • nt199419
    nt199419 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Your English is excellent, I wouldn't worry about that. Thanks for your help.

I am told eating clean is over half the battle, and the weights and cardio will help it along. I'm going to go for 3 weeks of my planned regime, and eat around 2000-2500 a day of decent foods, and see how it goes. I'll report back! :)

Thanks! :)

Goodluck, let me know how it goes! :)