Post Workout question

Options
I admit, I am not doing a "hardcore" workout, but, I have been doing about 45-60 minutes of zumba per day; burning 480-700 calories. I usually do this right after breakfast (about an hour after). I don't like protein shakes/bars, and I am still confused as to if I should eat a snack before/after workout, and how much I should be eating. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• introvert
    introvert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A fruit before and a small snack after will help reduce the amount of muscle being broken down for energy. (And promote utilization of fat.) Branched Chain Aminos (BCAAs) also help do the same. In any case, I usually stick to 100-150 cals pre and 100-200 cals post workout.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I used to workout in the morning, I would never eat and I'd be fine. You don't need to eat.... but if it makes you feel better, preform better and burn more calories, do it...if not, I say hold off! :)
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been told to wait at least an hour after eating to work out. I do Zumba too. It's a blast and burns alot of calories! I work with a guy who is a trainer and said to eat eggs. If your are really set on not doing protein shakes eat eggs. I actually do a Whey Protein shake mixed with water after I work out. Kroger brand seems to work fine for me too. I also eat 2 hard boiled eggs (white only) every day. He said the more protein the better. You can do a shake an hour before working out too. Don;t know if this helped at all. Good luck and Zumba away!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Actually, since you aren't doing weights, you don't need to worry so much about post workout protein. The standard 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight is fine for someone who isn't lifting heavy. As for what to eat before and after, it's carbs. A mix of simple and complex carbs before so that you have the added energy to get through the workout. Only about a third to half the calories you intend to burn though, so that the body uses the byproducts of carb burning to get into those fat stores. After your workout another carb meal of mostly complex carbs to replace the muscle and liver glycogen used during the workout. That should only be about a quarter to a third of the calories burned though. No point in replacing the fat you burned though. :wink:
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree with redwingluvr.
    Eating a light snack before a workout will help you have more energy during the workout. Most of the literature says it is not a good idea to workout on an empty stomach. If you aren't too hungry, try half a banana or a boiled egg an hour or so before a workout, and you should eat within 2 hours of finishing your workout- yoghurt, or healthy carbs. Everyone has different preferences though, so you have to find out what you are comfortable with.
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I really don't like eggs. I just tried to eat one actually for breakfast on an english muffin with spinach and tomato. It was actually good except the last bite. I think that the niacin makes me sick. I am going to go boil some hard boiled eggs and maybe have them as a snack later, because no matter how much I eat, I never feel full! Well, I do for like 30 minutes, but, then I am hungry again! And, I have been drinking roughly 10 glasses of water/green tea per day!
  • sd59940
    sd59940 Posts: 27
    Options
    Nice post Tony!
    I know the layman’s answer to your question but here is a better answer I found.

“Exercising on a full stomach is not ideal. Food that remains in your stomach during an event may cause stomach upset, nausea, and cramping. To make sure you have enough energy, yet reduce stomach discomfort, you should allow a meal to fully digest before the start of the event. This generally takes 1 to 4 hours, depending upon what and how much you've eaten. Everyone is a bit different, and you should experiment prior to workouts to determine what works best for you. "

Also a snack or a high carbohydrate energy drink 2 to 3 hours before exercise, and fluid replacement 1 hour before exercise. Don’t forget your mulit-vitamin! I always eat something small before a workout, at least 45minutes before.

1 hour or less before competition
    • fresh fruit such as apples, watermelon, peaches, grapes, or oranges and/or
    • Energy gels
    • up to 1 1/2 cups of a sports drink.
    2 to 3 hours before competition
    • fresh fruits
    • bread, bagels, pasta
    • yogurt
    • water
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much, this helps a lot!!!