How much to walk (for weight loss) in the first month?

Options
Hello, I'm a male, 26, and I weigh 308.6 pounds (140 kg). I'm starting a weight loss program from today. My plan is to walk for the first few months and then when I'm comfortable I'll start jogging and then eventually add some cardio exercises. (I could start jogging now but my doctor says it would lead to too much stress on my legs. I can also start with pushups, crunches and yoga at home, but I personally love walking in a park which makes it a lot easier.)

Now, I've found that after an hour of walking (5 to 6 days a week) in the first month, I'm a bit tired to do other household and office work. So, my question is how much should I walk for the first 3 months, or rather the first month without feeling too drained for the rest of the day?

Also, any tips for staying fresh and energetic will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Mr_AH
    Mr_AH Posts: 32
    Options
    Honestly keep up the hour of walking.

Yeah, you're tired, but soon, as the weight falls off, you won't be as tired. At what time do you walk? Perhaps you could try after you've done your household and office work?
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Get a Fitbit it or something like it, and split your walks up during the day. If you're like me, you'll find yourself walking much further, but it won't really feel like exercise.

I average over 7 miles a day walking, or about 17,000 steps. A typical weekday for me starts with running in place for 3 to 5 minutes as part of my strength training warm-up. I also run in place when I can while prepping my lunch. I work in a 84,000 square foot building and find excuses to walk to the back about a half dozen times throughout the day. Although I quit smoking a little over a year ago, I never told anyone I quit, so I now take two to four "smoke breaks" a day and use them as 10 minute walk breaks. I use my 30 minute lunch break to walk and then eat my lunch at my desk when I return. At the end of the day I go out back to the warehouse and pretend I'm checking to make sure all the doors are secure, but it's really just another ten minute walk break. I usually top 15,000 steps at that point. If I take the dog out for a walk when I get home, my total for the day will usually be 18,000 to 20,000 steps, or 7 to 8 miles. It's all pretty easy to break it up like that, and when it comes to burning calories, it's the same as doing it all at once.

Weekends are different. On weekends I try to get all my steps in on one or two walks. It can be exhausting. Luckily, I can take a nap after a long weekend walk.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don't push it. If your walking interferes with work or daily life then it is ultimately unsustainable. Cut back on walking to 30 or 45 min. per day. Drink plenty of water and sneak in exercise as often as possible. Here are some things I've done to keep moving throughout the day and get bonus exercise: Park far away from the door. Take the stairs. Clean the house. Mow the grass. Build a kayak. (Okay, the last one is tough but I have a workshop where I can do stuff like that.) You get the idea.

If you religiously count and log calories and are consistently under your calorie goal then the weight will come off. As it does, you'll be able to walk faster and longer without feeling tired all day. If you aren't losing weight then there are only two possible reasons. Either over estimating calories burned or under counting calories consumed.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Even though I haven't lost a lot, here is what I did at the beginning. I started at 274, so I know how you feel. If you enjoy walking in the park, keep doing it. As long as you are eating a deficit, you will lose pounds. You will start getting more energy with every pound you lose. I can't really jog much, because my knees are shot, so I walk. You got this, so keep at it. If you can't afford to get into a gym, get you some dumbbells. Lifting will help you as well.
  • Manjeit
    Manjeit Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys, I had a great time today! Went to the park, saw so many people exercising which gave me a lot of motivation ... I'll be walking everyday now until I'm back in shape.

From today's experience I think I can walk for 45 to 55 minutes without losing out on my work. I usually go out in the morning. Also, I already do gardening, walking down 5 to 6 blocks for groceries, cleaning the house, etc.

Following your advice I'll now have more water, more veggies and some light exercises too.... Also, my friend suggested me to add warm lemon water on an empty stomach .... I think that's enough for the first month .... :smile:

Again, thank you for your replies !!!
  • KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    Options
    As of now you weigh 140 kg that’s the reason you feel tired after jogging, as the time passes you will lose some weight and become habitual of it and then you will not feel tired. At the starting phase walk a mile daily and after some days try to walk more than a mile. And if you walk 3 miles a day you will definitely lose weight. Don’t focus only on jogging, also eat as many healthy foods you can and cut as many sweets as possible and don’t forget to drink a lot of water.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was over 300 myself this past winter OP. I just want to let you know two things: It's not about how long you walk, it's about HOW you walk. 30 minutes of leisurely strolling (2.5 mph) may only burn 100-150 calories, whereas 30 minutes of power walking (4.0 mph) will probably net closer to 300 for a guy your size. I would suggest walking at night as well, it allows you some privacy so you can push yourself a bit harder, and you can clear your mind after a stressful day. It will also take the "too tired for chores" thing out of play as you can just go to bed when you get home if you'd like.