help and advice please

Options
:sad:

Hi Guys, just have to say this website is fantastic!
I would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

I weighed 9.12 female 5f7 and decided to tone up and do some fitness classes in the local gym. I been going to four classes a week on average and the mainly consist of bodytone (weights) & circuit plus some spinning. My food intake was always fairly healthy and I've even started logging what i have daily now which has reduced it even further. My problem is it is nearly two months later an I've gained 7llb - plus I am well below the guided amount on fitness pal on most days ...help .........what am I doing wrong? Any help or recommendations would be appreciated :blushing:

Replies

• UCCrista
    UCCrista Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You are probably not eating enough. If you don't eat enough, your body goes into starvation mode, and saves almost everything you eat. Thus, eat less gain weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Do you own a food scale? If so, do you weigh all your food?

If you aren't losing weight you are not in a deficit.
    If you are gaining weight you are eating at a surplus.

If you want to "tone" I'd suggest a real strength training program like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • paganzzzz
    paganzzzz Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks guys for the replies... Problem is I am doing strength training classes twice a week but not lifting heavy just 5kg on barbell which consists of deadlifts, squats, benchpress & curls for 50 minutes and other 2 classes cardio - was doing circuit training for 50 minutes per class with a variety of high intensity exercises whilst keeping my calories below 1400 per day on average and gained 6-7llb...was 9.12 now 10.5 have now started spinning class as worried about weight gain - was able to control weight better when I wasn't in the gym....apparently muscle gain may be a part of it but to be honest I find that unlikely considering I had none two month's ago??? Do I restrict my eating further as weight seems to be all around my waist area? Thanks for the help btw:smile:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the replies... Problem is I am doing strength training classes twice a week but not lifting heavy just 5kg on barbell which consists of deadlifts, squats, benchpress & curls for 50 minutes and other 2 classes cardio - was doing circuit training for 50 minutes per class with a variety of high intensity exercises whilst keeping my calories below 1400 per day on average and gained 6-7llb...was 9.12 now 10.5 have now started spinning class as worried about weight gain - was able to control weight better when I wasn't in the gym....apparently muscle gain may be a part of it but to be honest I find that unlikely considering I had none two month's ago??? Do I restrict my eating further as weight seems to be all around my waist area? Thanks for the help btw:smile:

Muscle gain is next to impossible on a calorie deficit. I think if you will pause and read the links that Grace posted, you will find some answers to you questions. Good luck.
  • josywosy
    josywosy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict your eating, you need to eat back a lot of the calories you burnt off at the gym. Otherwise your body may start to store the weight you're trying to lose. Definitely weigh your food, eat your calories and work out :-) you're on the right path for sure.

I'm not 100% sure if you would have gained all of that in muscle, I've read too many conflicting takes on that subject.

If your clothes are getting bigger and you're more toned maybe the slight jump in weight is ok right now?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I would suggest less cardio and more strength training. Look into a program like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

ETA: If you do not own a food scale I would highly suggest you get one and start weighing your food. It was a real eye opener to me. Because if you are gaining weight you are not in a deficit. You are eating more than you think.

With that said...I also think your calorie goal of 1450 is low. My TDEE-15% is 1940 and I'm losing weight. Feel free to look at my diary.

Read the links I provided.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options

I would suggest less cardio and more strength training. Look into a program like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

ETA: If you do not own a food scale I would highly suggest you get one and start weighing your food. It was a real eye opener to me. Because if you are gaining weight you are not in a deficit. You are eating more than you think.

With that said...I also think your calorie goal of 1450 is low. My TDEE-15% is 1940 and I'm losing weight. Feel free to look at my diary.

Read the links I provided.

I agree with this^^^. I'm the same height (5'7") as you are and I lose on 1800 -2000 calories. I do 3 total body weight workouts per week. I use the New Rules Of Lifting Supercharged program. Each workout takes around an hour and is very intense. I use the heaviest weights I can manage. On the other days I do 20-30 minutes of easy cardio and/or walk my dogs, garden, etc. Nothing too intense. Im much older than you are (68). If you're not losing at 1400 calories and all that exercise you definitely need to reassess what you are doing and make sure you are recording your calories as accurately as possible, i.e. use a food scale.

I know it must be very disheartening to work so hard and not see results, but sometimes it takes trial and error to figure out what works for you. Good luck!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    So if I understand weight equivalents right, you weighed 138 when you started? And you are 5'7" and in your 30s?
    First off, that is the perfect weight for your age and height, so if you were just started to work out to tone things up a bit, then fine.
    Most likely, if you just started lifting and your muscles were sore, then a lot of the 7 lbs was mostly water weight from the increased glycogen in your muscles.

If it has been 2 months, you have adapted to the workouts, and your waist is noticeably bigger,
    then either you are doing too many crunches, (built up the muscles in your abs while having a layer of fat on top, can make your waist look bigger)
    or you are actually eating more calories than you realize, (Hey, I went to the gym today so I can have a treat!)

The whole starvation mode thing doesn't come into play until you are extremely lean, but there have been some articles posted about people that eat too little while doing massive amounts of cardio not being able to lose.
    But you cannot create something from nothing, so gaining ACTUAL fat mass will not happen if you are in a deficit.

Be more diligent in your weighing/measuring and logging.
    Take your body measurements and go more by that than the scale weight.
    Be patient.

And if all else fails, take a pregnancy test.:flowerforyou:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I agree with this^^^. I'm the same height (5'7") as you are and I lose on 1800 -2000 calories. I do 3 total body weight workouts per week. I use the New Rules Of Lifting Supercharged program. Each workout takes around an hour and is very intense. I use the heaviest weights I can manage. On the other days I do 20-30 minutes of easy cardio and/or walk my dogs, garden, etc. Nothing too intense. Im much older than you are (68). If you're not losing at 1400 calories and all that exercise you definitely need to reassess what you are doing and make sure you are recording your calories as accurately as possible, i.e. use a food scale.

I know it must be very disheartening to work so hard and not see results, but sometimes it takes trial and error to figure out what works for you. Good luck!

WHOA! You are 68, doing those crazy workouts and losing on 1800-2000 calories??
    You may be my new hero!
    I really want your genes. And your drive!
    And would love to see pictures. Bet you look amazing as well.
    Sorry to derail thread.. but... just... WOW.

ETA, and you are a living example to all the youngsters out there, to the importance of staying fit and active all your life. I am sure you will make it to 100 like your mom!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You are probably not eating enough. If you don't eat enough, your body goes into starvation mode, and saves almost everything you eat. Thus, eat less gain weight.

Please study up on starvation mode and quit posting this.