Making Protein Shake...the night before

I'm dying to get back into making smoothies with protein powder. I love mixing it with skim milk, 1/2 frozen banana and frozen blueberries. I used to use vanilla powder.

Question is.. Can I make it the night before? Does anyone do this? I like it to be slightly icy/slushy. If its not freezing cold, I gag.

If I get up early and use the blender, everyone in the house would wake up at 5:30am!

Tips/Tricks Appreciated!!

Replies

• bump! Nobody does this?..... :)
  • Betsybeee
    Betsybeee Posts: 113 Member
    I tried to make a protein shake the night before. I used the vanilla protein powder, frozen mixed berries and half a banana. I froze it and then took it to work the next day. The taste was okay. However, it stayed frozen for too long and then didn't really mix right. I am interested in any responses because I am trying to get back into making them! By the way, did you know you can throw in a handful of raw spinach?!! it adds nutritional value, little calories, and doesn't affect the flavor at all. It does turn a litle green!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I make mine sometimes days in advance. I usually make a bunch and pour it into sealable bottles to take with me to the gym during the week. Just keep it refrigerated. If they're been sitting a long time I usually shake the bottle a little to mix it back up since it can settle a bit (especially since I use some other powder supplements too).

If the tastes makes you gag, why not try another brand or putting other things in your shake? My shakes are absolutely delicious and I look forward to drinking them!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    The ice would be melted by the next day. Get a quieter blender?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    It should be fine from the night before.
  • I have heard that is highly recommend it that you take a protein shake before you go to sleep but not right away. Give yourself 2-3 hours prior. As you sleep, the protein will be working through your muscles during resting stage giving you more strength in the morning. If you are looking into a great protein drink, try BodyByVi shakes. You can mix it with water, milk, soy, almond or rice milk. 75gr of sodium and 90 calories.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    I have heard that is highly recommend it that you take a protein shake before you go to sleep but not right away. Give yourself 2-3 hours prior. As you sleep, the protein will be working through your muscles during resting stage giving you more strength in the morning.

Spam AND Broscience. Winning
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I personally use a blender bottle(you can buy them at walmart). What it is, is a bottle with a wisk in it.. just throw in your drink ingredients, then add a scoop of protein powder, shake and your good to go.

I find it mixes up just like a blender.. without all the noise and ice!
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,186 Member
    I drink mine in water =] So I am no help sorry haha
  • NikkiLeeBennett
    NikkiLeeBennett Posts: 6 Member
    This has really helped as I work odd shifts (06.45-15.15 or 14.45-23.15) and it is ALWAYS a pain to be making shakes at 05.30am with people still asleep in the house. Looking into buying a 'Blender Shaker' for the nights where I finish work at 23.15pm then back in at 06.45am so it's a lot easier. New to the Protein Shake World! So this really helps