Food and skin

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
Hi all :)

Most of my life I've struggled with difficult skin. I had bad acne before, so bad I got the roaccutane medicine against it. It got rid of 90% of it, but I still get zits popping up and have very oily areas. I also have dry patches, so I suppose my skin type is now combination. My cheeks are kind of red, I think you call that rosacea.

I know that alcohol can cause redness in the face - for the past three weeks I've stopped drinking alcohol entirely, although it helps with weight loss I don't see any effect on my face.
I'm trying to cut sugar and also dairy, get healthy fats and take fish oil every day. Of course I have got a good skin care regimen and I hardly eat processed foods.

Are there any changes you have done to your diet that has improved your skin, whether it'd be oily, dry or trying to prevent wrinkles? Perhaps some of you that do the entire "clean eating" thing have noticed any difference?

Replies

• heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Generally, cutting out fats, wheat, meat and dairy has helped me feel better, which in turn has enabled me to be more active. This generates a sweat and thus I tend to wash more.

I too have a similar story growing up and also have the mix of dry oily skin.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have found with healthier eating my skin is great...I didn't have much issue to begin with but it's softer, clearer etc.

I have a friend who has issues, not acne but eczema and if they eat "healthy" foods it clears it right up.

Healthy being veggies, protien, starches, dairy etc...less fast food, reasturant food etc.

As well the increase in water helps too.

I do IIFYM so I eat a lot of what is referred to as "whole foods"...lean chicken, pork, veggies etc 80% of my diet is that the other 20% are treats..but what I have noticed along with my skin being clearer is my nails and hair are better too...nails are hard as rocks, don't peel or split or break easily..and my hair...well I have me one shiny coat...:bigsmile:
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track with the oil supplements. Another thing that is great for your skin is oil of rosemary, you can find it in a health food store. The other person's advice about drinking more water is also a great idea. Do you eat yogurt for the good probiotic cultures?

Last thought: do a search for the term leaky gut syndrome, your skin is your largest organ....it is reflective of what is going on in your digestive track so if you change your eating......then your skin should improve also!
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I had acne for years, and after experimentation, gluten seems to be the cause. Dairy is no problem, but as soon as I eat gluten, I get breakouts.
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Dairy is a major culprit with diet and acne. As soon as I completely cut it out of my diet, my skin cleared up no end. I consume plenty of fresh veggies, extra virgin olive oil and lean fish as well.

Turmeric also works wonders. I take a teaspoon of it in water every morning, as it's supposed to be highly anti-inflammatory.
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole dairy thing. I eat/drink dairy every single day and it doesn't worsen my acne (and I'm an acne-prone person). When I do have super clear skin it's because my overall diet is on the healthy side (lots of fruits and veg, no junk foods, etc). Everyone is different, find what works for you :)