Holiday weight gain.....anybody??

Options
Did you know that the average person gains about 5-10 pounds during the holiday season each year and some never lose it! Well, I never thought I would be that person. So I stepped on the scale this morning to find out how much I had gained (cuz I knew I had gained a few pounds) and to my surprise I had gained 8 pounds!!!

So, now I have my original goal to finish losing the last 10 pounds from my son (who is now 3) plus an additional 8 pounds. Wow, I definatly got my work cut out for me! I definatly think that it is harder to lose as you get older, at least for me! Besides the family life with kids, it seems as I get closer to 30 my body doesn't respond to workouts like it use to, I seem to have to kick it up a gear. And I also am coming to realize that I can't eat whatever I want anymore or my hips seem to expand a bit! (NOT the area that I want to expand!)

So, wish me luck! I got a long road ahead of me!! and good luck to all of you goals as well!

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds. I have only myself to blame. And only myself to dig my way out of this mess.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I gained 9 but i am back in the swing of things...
  • ariellespiller
    Options
    I've found that the sooner you start to take off the holiday weight gain, the easier it is. I don't know if there's a scientific explanation for that, but it seems like New weight comes off pretty quickly. Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.....I gained 7.......In October my work schedule changed....only giving like 1.5 hours a day to clean the house (huby is a neat freak but wants me to keep it that) and exercise if I can fit it in.......Needless to say the 40 #s I had lost and tight but my fron p90x is gone...darn it!!! I am looking for new exercise that only takes like a half an hour.
  • carcar63
    carcar63 Posts: 158
    Options
    I gained 4 but started today back to the routine of working out and watching calories to lose those 4lbs.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 pounds... which is bloody good for the Christmas holiday if I do say so myself! I've actually managed to lose that now and i'm back on track :D
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!! I also gained 8 pounds this holiday season!!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I gained 4-5...blah!!! and im back to the grind...something i would have given up on already! so atleast we can all be proud that we havent let it affect us, that we are still going for the gold!
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I gained too. I have no one to blame but myself for weeks of unhealthy eating and lack of exercise. I'm back on track now though and I will reach my goal within the next 90 days! :smile:
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Well my holiday weight gain was really like over 2 months :noway: I have gained like 12 lbs , i know a lot of it water weight as just ate a lot of high sodium and TMI is around the corner, i am sure there is some true gain there but i am back on it and hopefully that 12 lbs will go away quickly and i can get back on it!!
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I gained 8 back total. So depressing to see the pounds lost in the single digits again. Oh well, back to counting calories and I am continuing to workout!
  • KenzieKidwell
    KenzieKidwell Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was really lucky and did not gain any weight but honestly it was not as enjoyable a holiday as I feel it could have been. We did not make cookies and candies at all. I did not even eat any of the holiday spread I got for my class. It sucked but I made it through Thanksgiving and Christmas and I lost 4.4 pounds total. Next year I will not go crazy and gain 15 lbs but I will be enjoying more of the holiday treats!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I gained 4 over Thanksgiving. Lost 2. Then gained that 2 back over Christmas/New Years. Darnit!
  • overit
    overit Posts: 273
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs over the holidays. I am ready to get busy and get this all off!
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    I gained 3 pounds over a 3 day period when I did not count calories. But I knew there was no way I had consumed an extra 10,500 calories, so I knew it would not be permanent. Sure enough sine the 26th they have dropped away plus 2 more pounds. No way you ate 28,000 calories (8 pounds) so some of it is bound to be temporary as long as you get back on track. Best of luck and Happy New Year!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I gained around 15 pounds, but that was from a month of crappy eating, almost no exercise, and very little water. it WILL be gone by the end of January though, so I'm not worried about it :)
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I gained 4.5 pounds over the past couple weeks. Oh how I love the holidays, all but the after effects! This has reminded me that this is not a diet I am on, this is a lifestyle change! I am back on track now, dedicated to making better decisions for my health, for my body. Better things will be going into my mouth, and daily exercise is back on the menu! Good luck everyone we can do this!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    i have no idea what I gained (although I do know based on my clothes that I HAVE gained!) and I dont want to know. I'm playing ostrich and burying my head in the sand for a few weeks of good diet & exercise and then I will weigh myself and (as if by miracle) I will have gained NO holiday weight!!! lol denial denial denial.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 over the holidays
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I gained 5 lbs over christmas and have been back on track since boxing day ! :happy:

Here we go again !