How to Cope with Dieting and Visitors

Options
I have a friend coming to stay in my flat with me for 3 weeks and it's her first time both in the UK and out of the US, so she'll want to experience all the culinary delights (up for debate sometimes :tongue: ) of England. I'm really worried about remembering to track my food and making smart choices when she'll be around me constantly! She is actually a bit underweight and eats whatever she wants and so has never understood my attempts to regulate my diet.

Any advice on how to handle this? 3 weeks is a long time to fall off the wagon. Especially when I've only just started again. :ohwell:

Replies

• lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    One of the better for you culinary delights here is the good old roast dinner. Do you have a toby carvery near you? Fill up your plate with lean turkey and lots of veggies :)

If she wants fish and chips get yourself a smaller portion. If your anywhere near the seaside go for a nice long walk along the beach afterwards lol.

If she wants a dessert suggest getting one of those 'sharing' desserts and eat slowly so you have a smaller portion.

Do lots and lots of sightseeing, lots of walking there for you :)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Take your friend out and show her a good time. There is no rule that you have to eat above your calorie limit. Don't make it an issue and no one will notice. Just eat the food in moderation. Enjoy your friend and don't put all the emphasis on the food.

Falling off the wagon is unproductive. Starting over and over again is unproductive. If you have a bad day - keep going. Get up tomorrow and keep going. You will always have things in life that you will need to navigate through. Learn how to do that now. It will really help!
  • londonlady4
    londonlady4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One of the better for you culinary delights here is the good old roast dinner. Do you have a toby carvery near you? Fill up your plate with lean turkey and lots of veggies :)

If she wants fish and chips get yourself a smaller portion. If your anywhere near the seaside go for a nice long walk along the beach afterwards lol.

If she wants a dessert suggest getting one of those 'sharing' desserts and eat slowly so you have a smaller portion.

Oh my gosh thank you so much! Hahah. I just looked up Toby Carvery and they even have vegetarian options for me that aren't that high in calories!

As for the walking, that is a definite! Haha. I run everyone around so much they get a bit dizzy. :tongue:

Thank you for the help!
  • londonlady4
    londonlady4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Take your friend out and show her a good time. There is no rule that you have to eat above your calorie limit. Don't make it an issue and no one will notice. Just eat the food in moderation. Enjoy your friend and don't put all the emphasis on the food.

Falling off the wagon is unproductive. Starting over and over again is unproductive. If you have a bad day - keep going. Get up tomorrow and keep going. You will always have things in life that you will need to navigate through. Learn how to do that now. It will really help!

Ugh, thank you for saying that. That is a lesson that I definitely need to learn. And I'm determined to do it this time! Things like this have been enough to discourage me completely in the past but now that I have the support of people on MFP (which I didn't have before) I think I will be more successful this time! :smile: Thank you!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If she's thin, she might eat whatever she wants, but she's not going over her calories. So maybe just mirror her diet and activity; eat what she eats!
  • phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm having that problem right now. We've had a few visitors in the last month and some right now. They all want to eat out somewhere and it's been very tough for me. I'm only supposed to eat around 1200-1300 calories (petite) so eating out at a restaurant is very difficult since even when I order off the 'skinny menu' its at least half my calories for the day.

Maybe you can increase your exercise? I'm at a disadvantage because I'm not allowed to exercise but if you can still go out and enjoy (in moderation) maybe you can increase your workouts by a little? Good luck!
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh thank you so much! Hahah. I just looked up Toby Carvery and they even have vegetarian options for me that aren't that high in calories!

As for the walking, that is a definite! Haha. I run everyone around so much they get a bit dizzy. :tongue:

Thank you for the help!

I love love love the brie and broccoli puff pastry thing that they do there. Havent had it in a while because its more calories than the meat but oh so good! The stuffed butternut squash (if its still there) is good too!
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to increase your exercise if you can and just eat the food in moderation but still go out to all the great food places. Try not to make your calories/dieting a big deal, I've found that no one wants to hear about other peoples diet restrictions. She might not even notice your eating less if you are still going out and having a great time.