motivation to work out

Options
Any tips on motivation to actually get up and move around? I personally think that is the hardest aspect to achieve. I need help to get off my lazy butt and start moving around

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You have got to have a strong WHY. Why do you want to change? My why is to lead by example for my family and friends that you can turn your health and fitness around, and how to do it properly. Your why needs to be bigger than your biggest excuse. Also, if you are having trouble staying motivated and are looking for support, I help to run support groups through Facebook. We have lots of people in there that are improving themselves and helping everyone else to stay accountable. We teach about proper nutrition and how to exercise. I'd be happy to chat with you about it if that is something that you're looking for.

Allan
  • SunnyGal2014
    Options
    Go on a walk with a friend or a dog!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    That push comes from within, and as mentioned above, you need to have a good "why" that gets you going.

Is there something that interests you or that you've been wanting to try? Motivation might come a little easier if you have something you love doing. If you have trouble getting going, start small. Tell yourself, "I'll do ___________ for 10 minutes." If you want to keep going once the 10 minutes is up, great. If not, try for 11 minutes the next day, and so on. The key for me has been to make little changes during this process and work my way up.

Good luck to you and I hope you find your motivation!
  • dkapplejacks1
    dkapplejacks1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Like everyone above said, your WHY is important. Try writing down 5 things you want to be able to do / 5 reasons you want to lose weight. Could be something like:

1. Walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath
    2. Feel more energetic, etc

Start with small steps, like just going for a 10 minute walk with an upbeat playlist to keep your mind in the zone.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Are you interested in any type of sports? Hiking? Biking? Swimming? Lifting? Martial Arts? Running? Skiing? Hockey? Find something to do that sounds like it could be fun and go from there! Unless nothing sound interesting. In which case IDK.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Sometimes, i find myself bargaining.
    "If i don't go to cardio today, i can go tomorrow" / "i need to stay at work i have things to do" - you catch my drift.

When that voice starts talking in my head, i short circuit it with 'No, i must exercise'. There is no logic, no reason why, i must do it, just like we must stop at the red light. I make it an imperative and therefore cannot find counter reasons.

It works!

And then, after a while, you'll find yourself *wanting* to exercise. Sounds like sci fi right now (as it did to me when others told me) but it is true.

Good luck, let us know!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing. Then, understand that no one wants to get up and work out all the time. If you make it a habit, it will get easier. Motivation comes and goes, but habits will kick you up off that couch.
  • londonlady4
    londonlady4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That push comes from within, and as mentioned above, you need to have a good "why" that gets you going.

Is there something that interests you or that you've been wanting to try? Motivation might come a little easier if you have something you love doing. If you have trouble getting going, start small. Tell yourself, "I'll do ___________ for 10 minutes." If you want to keep going once the 10 minutes is up, great. If not, try for 11 minutes the next day, and so on. The key for me has been to make little changes during this process and work my way up.

Good luck to you and I hope you find your motivation!

This is so true! I often find that getting myself motivated to start is the hardest part. But by committing myself to only 10 minutes or so, I often find I'm actually really enjoying myself (especially things I enjoy like walking or dancing!) and can go for much longer. You just have to get over that initial mental block and you're golden! :happy:
  • Madison1Jones
    Options
    I started out doing an ab challenge, which inspired me to lose some weight. I lost ten pounds with diet and floor exercises. I have now hit a plateau. I still have an extra 10-20 I want to lose. That inspired me to break down and join our city recreation center. I got a one month for 30.00 no contract and it was much cheaper than the meat head gyms, They have a pool so I can rotate between weights, cardio and swimming. The ab/squat challenges are very motivational because they are progressive and keep you on task, but then you have to figure out what you want to do to keep going afterward. After my 30 days at the gym, I think I am going to join an aerobics class. Changing it up keeps it interesting.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Working out is the biggest challenge for me, simply because I think it sucks...sorry. My advice is to start small. Take those little victories. Park at the back of the parking lot and walk in. Take the stairs rather than the escalator. Before you know it, you will be at the gym getting it done!
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Dont wait for the inspiration to strike you - just get up and go for a walk and the next day - get up and go for a walk and the next... you will start to feel better and then you can add a longer walk or a faster walk. Just start doing it today...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    I just want to earn extra calories for restaurant meals and wine.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You need to start by building a routine. Walking is usually the easiest to fit into a schedule and helps build that routine. you don't need a gym, you simply need to open your front door and move. That first step is always the hardest, honest. just open the door and get going.

Once you have established the routine, start increasing intensity/distance/frequency to make your body adapt. You can add short sessions of jogging to your walks (not sure of your fitness levels), and eventually you will have engrained another healthy habit into your life.

The more you can do to supplement healthy eating, the more your body will respond.

If your mind can't win that battle (to take the first step), there is only so far you will go. You are not alone, most of the people here have struggled with weight, fitness, laziness, and motivation.

I look at it this way......
    It takes will power and strength to make 'good' food choices. Eventually it become a habit and eating right is just something you do. I honestly don't even miss junk food any-more. That same strength needs to also get you off the couch, and moving (to the weight room, around the block, whatever...just move. They are tied together. If one drops off, the other soon follows! If you want to lose weight and get healthy...both pieces need to be a priority.

You can do this. Find the strength you needed and go do it. Writing this is motivation for me, I am going to workout hard today, thanks for clearing my mind!

ciao
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Do something you enjoy doing...you don't have to go to a gym and drone away on some cardio machine or dance around your living room to some DVD to get in a good workout. I enjoy riding my bike so that's my primary form of exercise...I also enjoy hiking and taking my dog for long walks and playing a little golf here and there and some swimming in the summer. I lift weights twice weekly for which that is the only reason I have a gym membership and go to the gym....everything else is fairly recreational.
  • LEE0812
    LEE0812 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Allan u look totally transformed n awesome, lee here btw how r u?
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Just get up RIGHT NOW go for a walk around the block.

Tomorrow, go for a walk around the block. The day after that, go for a walk around the block. If you keep doing that, you will find yourself walking a little faster, and then one day, you will just decide to walk around the block twice. Keep it up.

You will eventually decide to do it three times. Then a little faster. And before you know it, you will decide to go buy a good pair of shoes to walk in. Walk a little more. Walk a little faster.

It takes barely any motivation to go for a walk around the block. So just go do it. Right now.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do something EVERY DAY. If you don't feel like working out - go for a long walk. After 3 weeks it will become kind of like a habit and you will feel the urge to exercise or your day won't be completed. You won't need motivation anymore, you will just do it, trust me. But the first 3-4 weeks are the hardest. :)
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Think about a previous positive workout experience (or even a negative one, but positive works better):

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/276222.php

As predicted, students who were asked to recall a positive memory about exercise reported 'significantly higher levels of subsequent exercise activity than students in the control group', even when controlling for other factors. Students who were asked to recall a negative memory also reported an increase in exercise, but to a lesser extent.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise and lost weight without it.
    But my health is more important now, so I just do it. I don't wait for inspiration or energy or anything else.
    I complain all the way through but once I've done it, it's a good feeling.