continuing to lose weight post diet

Options
I started my diet on August 16th last year and had an original goal of losing 23 pounds. I wanted to lose a bit more than that but felt that was an attainable goal.

On November 12 I had lost 30 pounds. My diet was officially over. Since then I have been experimenting with finding the calories a day I can eat and not gain or lose.

In the process I have lost 7 more pounds. Two since Christmas. I am at 2000 calories a day and thought I had found the right number, as my weight had stabilized at 148-150 since December 10th.

I guess I will up them again to 2100. (I was at 1200 during my weight loss, and have been at 2000 since Dec 1. Apparently losing a pound a week still.)

BTW, i feel great, tons of energy too, no complaints other than halting any further weight loss.

Any advice?

Replies

• sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I totally understand and I'm not sure what you do. I am experimenting myself.
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    This is of great interest to me too, as I am 5.5 pounds from goal. And for medical reasons I can't go under that. I have lost successfully, and the loss seems to have been an average of two pounds a week or so with plateaus thrown in. Once I reach my goal I won't want to lose any more weight, but am afraid that, given the pattern of the loss so far, I might continue to do so.

My situation is that I'm epileptic. Several years ago I lost 52 pounds, and unintentionally got to four pounds below my goal. That resulted in three seizures, hospitalization, and my albumen level bottoming out. The doctor said I was malnourished. I remember laughing at him, thinking, "What? Me, malnourished?" My doc said to gain a little weight back. Well, that seemed like an open door. I gained everything back. Bummer. Now, I will have lost 38 pounds when I get to goal, which is ten pounds more than the previous goal. Everything else after weight loss will be trimming and toning, i.e., lots of work at the gym.

But I don't want to go lower than my goal, which I am so close to, and risk any health problems.

I will be reading this thread to see what people say.

Thanks.
  • wise2383
    Options
    what is your exercise like? are you burning more during work outs and daily activity than you think. are you much more active than you were before you started dieting? what type of work outs are you doing? if any.

also, it has a lot to do with what you eat. If you diet (the food you take in) has become healthier than it was before you started that is a big factor. When you body is fed the nutrition it needs, it runs better. Like a car on premium gas, it performs faster. Therefore, your body has become used to feeding off its calorie stores and using the calories you intake. Your metabolism has been kick started and its going full force.

I would say that if you are working out, I would focus on a muscle building work out. That way you are still staying active but you are doing something to counter act the weight loss (burning of calories/fat) and gaining healthy muscle/weight. Also, on the food side of things you may what to try indulging once or twice. Eating a fattier meat or having a cookie once in a blue moon. Now i know this sounds crazy but it is a little way to add some extra calories to your diet without going overboard on unhealthy crap.

Lastly, I would look into MyPyramid.gov - this is the governments new nutritional guideline website. (its the new food pyramid) Instead of counting calories see how your body does following a personalized nutrition plan recommended by Dietary Guidelines of America. This website is a great source for information and nutritional support. On their home page, on the right hand side there is a blue box that says "I Want to..." at the top. Click on "get a personalized plan" and follow the instructions from there. It is free and easy to use. I try and use it in combination with Myfitnesspal.com Its a really great way to learn what your nutritional intake needs are AND track how well i am doing on my plan.

I hope this was helpful :)
  • wise2383
    Options
    One more thing about Mypyramid.gov - I just wanted to let everyone know what it has so much more information on nutrition and different ways to eat than just the new Mypyrimid plan. Its really great, my Nutrition Professor introduced me to it.
  • wise2383
    Options
    This is of great interest to me too, as I am 5.5 pounds from goal. And for medical reasons I can't go under that. I have lost successfully, and the loss seems to have been an average of two pounds a week or so with plateaus thrown in. Once I reach my goal I won't want to lose any more weight, but am afraid that, given the pattern of the loss so far, I might continue to do so.

My situation is that I'm epileptic. Several years ago I lost 52 pounds, and unintentionally got to four pounds below my goal. That resulted in three seizures, hospitalization, and my albumen level bottoming out. The doctor said I was malnourished. I remember laughing at him, thinking, "What? Me, malnourished?" My doc said to gain a little weight back. Well, that seemed like an open door. I gained everything back. Bummer. Now, I will have lost 38 pounds when I get to goal, which is ten pounds more than the previous goal. Everything else after weight loss will be trimming and toning, i.e., lots of work at the gym.

But I don't want to go lower than my goal, which I am so close to, and risk any health problems.

I will be reading this thread to see what people say.

Thanks.

I would totally check out Mypyramid.gov to look into getting your nutrition needs met during your weight loss diet. See my post below for more details.
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    what is your exercise like? are you burning more during work outs and daily activity than you think. are you much more active than you were before you started dieting? what type of work outs are you doing? if any.

also, it has a lot to do with what you eat. If you diet (the food you take in) has become healthier than it was before you started that is a big factor. When you body is fed the nutrition it needs, it runs better. Like a car on premium gas, it performs faster. Therefore, your body has become used to feeding off its calorie stores and using the calories you intake. Your metabolism has been kick started and its going full force.

I would say that if you are working out, I would focus on a muscle building work out. That way you are still staying active but you are doing something to counter act the weight loss (burning of calories/fat) and gaining healthy muscle/weight. Also, on the food side of things you may what to try indulging once or twice. Eating a fattier meat or having a cookie once in a blue moon. Now i know this sounds crazy but it is a little way to add some extra calories to your diet without going overboard on unhealthy crap.

Lastly, I would look into MyPyramid.gov - this is the governments new nutritional guideline website. (its the new food pyramid) Instead of counting calories see how your body does following a personalized nutrition plan recommended by Dietary Guidelines of America. This website is a great source for information and nutritional support. On their home page, on the right hand side there is a blue box that says "I Want to..." at the top. Click on "get a personalized plan" and follow the instructions from there. It is free and easy to use. I try and use it in combination with Myfitnesspal.com Its a really great way to learn what your nutritional intake needs are AND track how well i am doing on my plan.

I hope this was helpful :)

I walk at work pretty much 8 hours a day (for 5 years) and a bit of exercising (situps, pushups etc), but have been slacking on them since reaching my goals). I do not eat as healthily as I should and have cookies daily (but keep my total calories at 2000 a day). I will check out the website. Thanks