What vitamins and minerals do you suggest

Options
I am a 50yr old woman looking to lose 50lb. I'm pretty active and have started lifting. There are soooo many choices out there, so I thought I'd see who has any suggestions based on experience.

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    All of the essential ones.

Here's a nice overview:

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/vitamins/
  • EnjoyYourJourney
    EnjoyYourJourney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I'm looking for product suggestions - I'm using "gummies" at the moment
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Oh, my bad. I can't really be of help in that area then since I get all mine through the foods I eat. But good luck.
  • EnjoyYourJourney
    EnjoyYourJourney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    gummies for me! (gluten intolerant & titanium allergic)
    Caltrate 2
    vitafusion vitamin 2
    vitafusion fiber 4 (10g fiber)

and fish oil 1000 3
    = 100 calories

no specific goal just maintaning health.
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options
    If you eat a balanced diet, you probably don't need them.
  • mrs_stavros
    mrs_stavros Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Based on what my doctor says, a women's daily multi vitamin and 1000 mg vitamin D daily. I had a baby 5 months ago so I'm stil taking my prenatal and 1000 mg vitamin D (both Target brand).
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Arbonne Women's Daily Power Pack (multivitamin / multimineral tablet, probiotics and enzyme capsule, bone health and antioxidant tablets).
    Arbonne Antioxidant and Immunity booster (liquid which I add to a liter of water to drink at work each day).
    Arbonne Omega 3 capsule.

Expensive, but worth it for me.
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I take a daily multivitamin, vitamin C, vitamin D, B-complex, odorless garlic, and fish oil
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I don't think you should generally take supplements.

http://hub.jhu.edu/2013/12/17/vitamins-might-be-harmful
  • newgmartin
    newgmartin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use the food diary to keep track of what I'm getting as far as iron, vitamin c, vitamin a and calcium, and work to get my nutrition needs met through whole foods. When I'm low, I'll supplement with iron bisglycinate from Solgar, but most other vitamins and minerals are easily obtained by eating well, cooking from scratch, fresh foods, etc.

For general health and stuff, I also take a daily fish oil supplement, Swanson's Super EPA from calamari oil, to cover my Omega-3. I also take a probiotic, which has really helped with EVERYTHING - digestion, lady stuff, immune system. The one I like is Solgar Advanced Multibillion, it has L. rhamnosus GG, which is one that has studies behind it that I found relevant to supporting weight loss, and immune system stuff.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin, B complex, D (most people are low; ask for a blood test), fish oil, iron (slightly anemic), calcium, magnesium, Co-Q10.
    I forget to take them half the time, though!
    I like the vita fusion gummies and Twinlab K + D dots (chewable orange flavored). Also Adora chocolate calcium.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Multi-vitamin, B complex, D (most people are low; ask for a blood test), fish oil, iron (slightly anemic), calcium, magnesium, Co-Q10.
    I like the vita fusion gummies and Twinlab K + D dots (chewable orange flavored). Also Adora chocolate calcium.

The only reason so many people test low for Vitamin D is because the usually recommended level is set too high.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

The only reason so many people test low for Vitamin D is because the usually recommended level is set too high.

That's not true. If anything, the recommended level is too low. It should be 50.
    My father told me this. He is a doctor who unlike some does a lot of research in nutrition and general health. He was I the omega-3 band wagon in the 1980s.
    After supplementing D, I feel tremendously better. More energy, less SAD.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Actually no. The RDA is set too LOW. I get at least 4,000 IU's of vitamin D daily via a supplement (and yes, I get my blood work done every year and it is consistently in the proper range)

Regardless vitamin D is something that is beneficial to the body.
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    New Chapter whole food women's multi vitamin, Vitamin D for sure, fish oil.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should generally take supplements.

http://hub.jhu.edu/2013/12/17/vitamins-might-be-harmful

*rolls eyes*