A few questions about running

Options
Okay, so! I've trained myself to run a 5K (completing week 9 day 1 of the program today), but here are few things I was wondering:

1) When I run, I keep my arms up at all times. This seems like a normal running position, but after twenty minutes of holding my arms up, they start to get really tired. Is there anything I can do for this, or will it get better on its own?

2) If it's windy or cold, my nose runs and I get sores on the inside from it. Has anyone found a way to treat these? Weird question, I know.

3) Is it strange or bad for some reason to carry a water bottle? Not only do I never see runners holding one, but one girl told me you're not supposed to drink water during a run. Something about making your stomach full or something.

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll have more later.

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    1st well done you .. keep up the good work .. The important thing .. are you enjoying it?

1) Personally I move my arms around (especially if they get tired) - shake them out from time to time.

2) I think that I tend to do most of my breathing through my mouth - so never had the problem that you mentions ... Why not try a little dab of Vaseline on your nose before your run if they get sore?

3) On normal days I never drink during a short run (you really shouldn't need to on a 5Km .. I've just done a 10Km race and still didn't feel the need to drink) .. BUT it's its HOT you may need to.
  • litchfieldd
    litchfieldd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Not an expert or particularly fast/long distance runner but from my limited experience...

1) I used to get this and realised I tended to tense my arms and lock them a bit in position. I try to relax my arms a bit more which I think helped and give them the occasional shake. I also try to stretch from time to time as I run, raising my arms straight above my head or behind my back. Plus I 'pump' them straight downwards a few times. Frankly it makes me look a bit silly maybe and probably does nothing but I don't tend to get tired arms anymore!

2) Never had this, sorry!

3) I don't at the moment, as I only run up to about an hour or so and I feel reasonably hydrated throughout. BUT lots of runners here (UK) do run with water and as I increase my running time I certainly intend to. I certainly don't think its wrong to drink water as you run but suggest moderation to avoid feeling bloated which wouldn't be much fun and its going to depend a lot on the weather conditions and you!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    1st well done you .. keep up the good work .. The important thing .. are you enjoying it?

1) Personally I move my arms around (especially if they get tired) - shake them out from time to time.

2) I think that I tend to do most of my breathing through my mouth - so never had the problem that you mentions ... Why not try a little dab of Vaseline on your nose before your run if they get sore?

3) On normal days I never drink during a short run (you really shouldn't need to on a 5Km .. I've just done a 10Km race and still didn't feel the need to drink) .. BUT it's its HOT you may need to.

I agree with this poster.

I also breathe thru my mouth when I run, but I think that has to do with my asthma and me just making sure I'm getting enough air.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm not sure how to stop your arms getting tired - I must admit it's not something I've ever really noticed as I am usually too busy thinking about how tired my legs are hahaha :-) If you are carrying a water bottle then make sure you switch the arm that's holding it from time to time to even out the arm bearing the weight, and maybe carry a lighter bottle? I have one of those "running" bottles which has a hole in the middle to make it easier to carry.

I used to run with a trainer and she told me that you should try to remember to keep your shoulders low when running, as some people (e.g. me!) have a tendency to let my shoulders creep up towards my ears and this can make the muscles there really tight and sore. I also try to swing my arms in a straight line from front to back (rather than twisting them across my body) to prevent stress on the rotator cuff muscles in the sholuders.

As far as I know there's nothing wrong with drinking water on a run (though happy to be corrected by someone more experienced!), although I do find it messes up my breathing rhythm a little. You definitely don't want to be drinking too much though as it will jiggle about in your stomach and may make you feel sick. If you are well hydrated then you don't really *need* to drink water over a relatively short run like a 5km, unless it's super hot out. I would say it's essential to drink water or a sports drink on long runs though (like when you start getting into half marathon territory or longer)!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    1) relax your arms! Just let them hang somewhere they are comfortable rather than thinking about where you are going to hold them.

2) +1 for vaseline. Loads of runners and cyclists get a runny nose. You know you are a 'real' runner when you are happy to blow your nose into an invisible handkerchief.

3) you don't need to drink while you are running unless you are thirsty, in which case it's fine to carry water.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    _I JUST started c25k a few days ago....and noticed that my legs were sore for sure, but then in the following days my arms were worse, thinking back I feel like I was so focused on holding "good form" and pumping arms just forward rather then crossing over my body that I tensed them and locked them up almost....that and when it got close to the end of my 60 second run times I would clench my fist so tight just to will myself to not give up early...so that didn't help either!

_I was thinking vasoline for the runny nose issue also

_I haven't brought water with me on my "runs" because I didn't want to be bothered with holding the bottle, and I didn't really find myself needed it, my mouth got a little dry from mouth breathing...but nothing a good swallow didn't solve...but I would imagine as it gets warmer outside that will change.

Nice job making it to week 9!! keep up the good work!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Okay, so! I've trained myself to run a 5K (completing week 9 day 1 of the program today), but here are few things I was wondering:

1) When I run, I keep my arms up at all times. This seems like a normal running position, but after twenty minutes of holding my arms up, they start to get really tired. Is there anything I can do for this, or will it get better on its own?

2) If it's windy or cold, my nose runs and I get sores on the inside from it. Has anyone found a way to treat these? Weird question, I know.

3) Is it strange or bad for some reason to carry a water bottle? Not only do I never see runners holding one, but one girl told me you're not supposed to drink water during a run. Something about making your stomach full or something.

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll have more later.

1. I shake mine out from time to time...sometimes roll my shoulders back, sigh, whatever I can do to make my shoulders and upper back relax. If they are getting super tired usually that means you are carrying unneeded tension in them. Just focus on making them relax and eventually it will become second nature.

2. + 1 on Vaseline.

3. The water thing is all about personal preference. I don't -need- to take water with me on anything less then 10K, but I still do. I prefer to stay hydrated and sip water during my runs. I carry one of these:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKCDuex4H1R7PytwVAU_kOjVUFmBYMkH2GWflzEV_A8M-syI9VAg
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I learned something by accident recently. Normally I always run with my mouth open - one of the reasons I dont like running as it makes my jaw hurt. Then one day I had a halls menthol cough drop in my mouth as I was getting to run. It opened up my sinuses so much that it was easy to breath through my nose, and no runny nose.

Worth a try! keep a couple on you. I use them every time now, makes it so much easier on me
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    1. I run with my arms at around a 120-140 degree angle. I keep them loose from the elbow down. One thing that will always stick with me from my HS cross country days is my coach telling me not to let my arms cross in front of my body. Most women naturally run this way but it diverts a lot of forward energy off to the sides. Is that massively important for the casual runner? Probably not but it's always something that's stuck with me.

2. When it's really cold, I get the same thing. I'll sometimes rub a little Vaseline/chapstick on the outside of my nostrils before I go out and it helps me a lot. Running with a handkerchief and keeping the area snot free also helps. I also tend to breath in through my nose and out through my mouth which, for me, lessens the amount of drainage (drying it out before it drips) and keeps my mouth from drying out. Though I know this increases the number of times I hock a loogie.

3. If it's really hot and I'm going to be sweating a lot, I'll carry one. It's not bad to drink water during a run but it can make you cramp up if you drink too much. Little sips periodically are fine. When I do run with one, I tend to switch it from hand to hand every few minutes.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely try Vaseline!

About the water bottle: I don't need water on my runs, but after big hills I like to take a sip. I alternate hands holding it after each song, though.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you received great advice. You may also want to consider a water bladder and backpack while running to free your hands. One of the big differences in running and arms since the 1970s running boom is the movement towards weight lifting. When I was running in college the coach would have screamed at us if he saw us picking up weights. You wanted strong legs and no other extra weight. Now you see really cut middle distance runners.

I would add some really low tech weight lifting in between runs. Grab stuff around the house at random and lift them slowly up and down. Random sets of ten throughout the day can do wonders. The idea isn't to necessary build huge biceps, but just tone. Also just more running will get your arms in shape.

The other hand issue is a dead feeling, puffiness, or soreness in your hands. Raising you arms above your heart will help circulate any blood that may be pooling in your hands, you may also wish to clench your hands into fists a few times, or even just stopping to adjust your shoelaces or to pick things up. It may also be a serious sign that you are drinking too much water without balancing with the proper amount of salts. The condition is hyponatremia. And affects maybe 10% of the hikers and runners with the puffiness in their hands. Odds are you are not affected at all, but it is something to know.

As far as whether to breath through your mouth or nose, your body will let you know in a hurry. You can pull much more air through your mouth than nose. If you are pushing yourself a little harder you will find yourself breathing in and out through your mouth. I'd try not to think about breathing, it's a habit you've had all your life. :-)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I don't carry water, mainly because I hate carrying things, training for a 5k, unless it;s incredibly hot you probably don't need water, but it's personal choice (are you carrying it because it's habit, or because you do actually need it).
    I live in a cool climate so I can run for 2hrs before stopping at the car for water (approx 9miles thanks to the crappy, hilly trails)!!

Try without water (might help your arms) and see if you do actually need it, 5k training you're unlikely to be out for more than 45min?
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    hi !
    1) I shake my arms around a little bit every 5-10 minutes. it felt awkward to me too if i had to hold my arms in the same position all the time.
    2) i have the same problem, but only when i do cycling.. maybe take tissues with you and blow your nose on time if it gets runny? Idk
    3) Sometimes i feel the need to take a water bottle with me too but it's so annoying to keep it in my hand all the time. The other day i was in a sport stuff store and they had a belt/fanny pack type thingy where you could fit tiny water bottles in it :) maybe you can look for something like this?
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    25kq2s6.png
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Do your arms get tired, or your shoulders sore?
    I can tell how tense I am if my shoulders get sore after a couple miles. Got to get them to relax.

Farmer's blow. Snot rocket. Learn it. Love it.

No one will look at you weird unless you wear a camelback for a 5k ;) . Besides that, it's a personal preference.
    I personally avoid water stations on a 5k. You can survive without water for 20 minutes!

In high school, we'd have a 12 mile loop we'd do every once in a while. Our coach would stash a couple gallons of water at the turn around point.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

One of the big things that you will learn as you develop in running is the value of core and upper body strength. All you're noticing is that your arms are having to get used to running as well.

I'd recommend doing some strength training as well as running, need not be any more than bodyweight work; press ups, planks, burpees, dips, mountain climbers.

A couple of times a week is pretty much all you need to keep your core and upper body able to contribute to your running.

It's not out of the question that you're holding yourself a bit tight, so just loosen up the arms. A deep belly breath will force them to relax.

You're unlikely to need water on a short run, nowadays I don't tend to carry any for anything less than 10Km, but when I started I was hoovering up water like it was going out of fashion. For my long runs now I have a fuel belt with two 500ml bottles.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Just went for my run today and didn't carry a water bottle. I was able to do the whole run, but it was pretty hot and bright out, so it was kind of miserable. :/ Also, I've been incorporating strength training into my running for months now, so I'm not really sure what's up with my arms! Haha. It's definitely much better than in the beginning and I only notice it briefly every ten or so minutes of running.
  • sbarnes1963
    sbarnes1963 Posts: 12
    Options
    Arms tired...try to relax them while you run - may just be tensing up. Nose sores...haven't had that but vaseline sounds like good advice. Carry water...I do a lot of loops around my house so I put water or Gatorade in the garage & grab a drink when I go by. If I'm on a long run going 1/2 the distance away & then coming back I carry a water bottle. It is one from a belt that holds like 4. Holds about 8 ounces. When it's gone I run in Walmart or a gas station & fill up from a water fountain or sink. I like the pull tops as I can keep running, pull it open with my teeth, drink & close it back up. Screw tops are easy to drop & get too much liquid at once if you're not careful. Good luck on your continued training!

***I have this ticker that shows up when I post but it does not show my weight loss...anyone know how to fix it?***