Eating More and Losing Weight

Options
So I'm in a bit of what I consider to be an oxymoron. I'm eating generally 1400-1500 calories a day. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I ate more than what I should have. Despite that, I lost 3 pounds. However when I go a week eating 1400-1500 calories, I tend to gain weight. Is there a reason why that happens?

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just water weight fluctuations. It's possible you are more energetic the days you ate a bit more, but it's almost impossible to gain (real) weight at a true 1400-1500 calories a day.
  • MistbornVin
    MistbornVin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    One more thing to add. I've been following the 1400-1500 calories a day and allow one day where I can have an bigger meal than normal because I do know my body tends to lose more if I do that once a week. Why is it I can have a caloric deficit and still not lose anything and then eat more than normal and lose weight?
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Just hormones, water, waste. :happy:
  • MistbornVin
    Options
    That's discouraging considering I've been on the same 3-4 pound weight range for the last 2 or 3 months.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Can you give us a little more info on you? Height, weight, goal weight, what you use to measure/track?
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like you're accurate with your calorie accounting. You can't eat more than your body burns and lose any real weight, only water. If you eat less than you burn consistently you will lose weight over time. We all work this way, you're not different. Calorie confusion can be helpful to maximize weight loss so that your body cannot adjust to a routine, but the basics never change. Calories in minus calories out it really is that simple..,
  • MistbornVin
    Options
    Ironically I not only used MFP, but also google to make sure my selections are accurate. I'm starting to think that I'm not eating as much as I should since fitbit usually gives me another 200-300 calories more than what I eat in a day.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're eating 1400 calories one week, then eating more the next and the weight from the prevous week has only just started to come off your body so you think you've lost it from eating more but you haven't

I don't know just a guess haha
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure your foods? Do you eat a lot of pre-made foods and processed foods, or do you cook food from scratch? If your diary is open I can take a look and help out. Maybe you should calculate your TDEE and set your goals according to that? Message me if you want my help:)
  • MistbornVin
    Options
    I make a lot of my food from scratch. The foods I buy at the store tend to have 5 ingredients or less in them, such as Kerrygold Butter, which has 3 ingredients.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well without seeing your food diary I can't really give you much more advise besides calculating TDEE and then subtracting 10-20% of that for weight loss.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • MistbornVin
    Options
    My BMR is 2053 and my TDEE is 2463.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Ironically I not only used MFP, but also google to make sure my selections are accurate. I'm starting to think that I'm not eating as much as I should since fitbit usually gives me another 200-300 calories more than what I eat in a day.

While it is possible that you can set your calorie target higher and lose weight, there's either a medical issue that needs attention or a logging error that needs attention, because if your TDEE is anywhere near 2400, 1400-1500 calories should have you losing weight. Are you willing to open your diary?
  • MistbornVin
    Options
    The only serious medical issue that would effect weight loss and/or gain would be IBS.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    The only serious medical issue that would effect weight loss and/or gain would be IBS.

That probably isn't the culprit, unless you take medications that might affect your metabolic rate. Do you use measuring cups, eyeball portions, or a food scale? Do you pre-log or log at the end of the day or after/before each meal?
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Check out this link if you haven't already seen it; the people that run this group are the best.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think